Author Topic: Rest In Peace Father  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Rest In Peace Father
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:44:11 PM »
"Papa Dante"

I've been offline for a week as my father had a fall on Monday night which progressed into a very serious medical condition which he eventually passed away from yesterday morning. On Monday, we were told he had 4-12 hours maximum to live. He survived until Sunday morning, when he passed away in his sleep with my Sister and I by his bedside. I stayed by his bedside from the moment he was admitted, until his passing. The doctors were completely mystified as to how he survived past the first 12 hours. On paper, he was already dead. He survived over 100 hours after they pronounced he had 12 hours maximum. Although my wife and I were his primary carers for almost 3 years and my sister and brother in law shared duties, the last 12 months has been very difficult to balance work and looking after Dad.

I know this is a lot of personal information, and this is a pinball forum. But many of my closest friends are on this forum, and I've had the opportunity to speak to all of my relatives and now my friends.

My father was my idol. My hero. He is the greatest man I've ever met. Without his influence, I would not be doing what I love. He was a loving father and husband to my Mother and two sisters. There is no other human being as generous as my Father. He had an incredible work ethic, was honest and had integrity in spades.

He survived WWII. He escaped Auschwitz TWICE. He was at the gates when the Russians liberated Auschwitz I. He told the Russians that the SS were burning records and blowing up evidence of their crimes against humanity.

My father was the first operator (or one of the first operators) in Australia. He started in 1953, by building his own soccer tables, bumper pool tables and billiard tables.He was importing Juke Boxes, Bingos and woodrails in the late 50's. He imported EMs and supplied other operators in the 70's and 80's. He was operating soccer Tables as far as Woolongong in the 50's as there were no operators. Some of his Bumper Pool, Billiard tables and soccer tables were left behind when they stopped taking money !

I've told many stories on AP, that involved the early days. There are many stories to tell.

There might be one or two of you that remembered my father - he was know as "professor". Two reasons - he knew everything about amusement machine repair, and, his signature white hair and grey dustcoat made him look like a "professor" of "something" !

I was fortunate that i had 4 extra days with Dad, although he was barely able to whisper, his last words to me have left an imprint on my heart.

I held his hand and told him " Dad, you know we all love you "
He answered "Yes. I understand that"

That was the last he spoke.

Dad was arguably one of the first, or the first Operator in Australia. Possibly the father of pinball in this country. I would like to pay tribute to him on this post.

I would like to thank those of you that have contacted me privately, and a public thanks to Nick "Pinnies4me" who has been VERY supportive over the last week. There are other friends (you know who you are) that have offered support. My beautiful wife does not read this forum, but she has been incredibly supportive.

In conclusion - I lost a close friend an mentor, Greg Berry, now I've lost my "rock", my Father. It has been a HARD 2-3 years. But I will continue my work, with the memories.

Dad's mission statement was "Honesty, loyalty and laboriosity".

Never has a son loved his father as much as I have. Those of you that have your father still with us, please spend as much time as you can with him. Give him a hug. Tell him you love him.

Rest In Peace my Father. Your legacy will be continued for many years to come.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Rest In Peace Father
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »
Very sorry to hear of your loss Nino. Deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Your father would be very proud of you.

Tony

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »

He survived WWII. He escaped Auschwitz TWICE.

That is cool

Nino, I am sorry
I am glad you still own some machines that your dad operated

Take care

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:27 PM »
My condolences and thank you for sharing in a very emotional time.
Your write up on " professor " is touching.
May he R.I.P.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
So sorry to hear of your loss Nino. Your Dad sounds like he was a great father, friend and mentor. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
Very sorry to hear Nino

Sympathy to you and your family.

I had the pleasure to meet the professor and sure enough grey dust coat was present.

Still have your dads jukebox in the collection.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »
Very sorry to hear of your fathers passing, he sounds like he was a great man.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:00:48 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss. I could see your concern on Saturday night when I visited the shop. All my thoughts with you and your family.

I always enjoy hearing about your dad's escapades and the look in your eyes when telling them. You always had that little boy look when telling the stories.

Take care and will be in touch in time.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
I know how much you idolised your father Nino and im saddened by your loss... my thoughts have been with you the last couple of days as this is when I found out about your dad.
Sad news indeed and I hope he has found peace.
Cheers
gav

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »

I am honoured I got to know something of Nino's dad Dante and his amazing life and strengths, his generosity to many people, while working with Nino on some of his dad's projects over last few years. Dante's spirit was and is so large it has very much touched me.

Rest in peace Dante, you have earned it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
I am very sorry to hear of your loss Nino as well as for your whole family and thank you for sharing snippets of his life with us and I still remember the story of the hidden room with pins and backglasses (I am sure that was the content).

Treasure all those wonderful memories and stand by what he taught you.

All the best.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:39:04 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 08:32:29 PM »
Lovely words Nino.

All the best and thanks for sharing with us

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
Condolences.  He is a great Furlan migrant success story - brought pinball to Australia.  It was bound to get here at some point, but it's with pride you can say your father was the first.

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »
Thank you Nino for sharing. with your extended family.

We are sorry to hear of your Father's passing.

He must have been as proud as punch for your accomplishments, with both of your love for amusements and the silver ball.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult days.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
All the best for your family Nino during this difficult time.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"