Author Topic: Where do we go from here? (boring Covid chat)  (Read 3299 times)

Offline punkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
Where do we go from here? (boring Covid chat)
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:19:15 AM »
I can see there's going to be massive changes to the way we do things from now on with the new awareness of virus transmission.
I can easily see some changes that should have happened years ago, if they can have auto doors on club or pub entrances and poker machine or smoker areas, why should we have to touch a grubby doorhandle on a toilet door when entering and leaving? for the sake of $1k or something it's gone.

But i can see some worrying changes looming too. Poker machines will cope very well, they'll go buttonless and be operated from mobile aps etc. Those things rake in the cash so they'll self fund.

I'm worried about my mates that operate pinball machines. I'm thinking that people will be so aware of infection in the constant future even after this ones sorted that they'll shy away from anything for a long time to come that has them contacting a surface that many other people do.
Maybe i'm just being fanciful, there'll still be escalators, stairs and other places that need hand rails?

I stopped my comp a few weeks ago, i mean my and my friends still play, but i don't have a dozen people at a time here anymore.

Thoughts?
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Where do we go from here? (boring Covid chat)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
Can’t see it affecting me I avoid people like the plague anyway but your right about automatic doors and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
Maybe if we all started wearing space suits like astronauts. That may happen sooner than later because new strains of virus will get deadlier and more common.
Going to Mars is starting to sound good.
Playing the machines will be OK if a bottle of sanitizer and alcohol are nearby to wipe them down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 05:49:40 AM »
Had a message from an operator mate that he's pulling machines and sending them to auction today. I hope the manufacturers can hold on till the panic is over, just when i found a new hobby to fall in love with. !!!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 12:02:35 PM »
But homebrewing suply sales will go up

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
This has not happened in our lifetime, so there's an opportunity to listen to experts and follow the best advise. There was no way of predicting this pandemic, so there's no point stressing over what we could and should have done prior, because we didn't think about it until now. That's my general opinion. As for operators, it is the same for any operator in any industry. Times HAVE changed. We have our savings, so we will survive. My kids are safe at home, and won't leave home anytime soon. I go to my factory every day and keep working until they close the Post Offices (RTBB) or force me to stay home (APR).

Follow the constant updates, follow the advise, and don't panic buy 12 years of toilet paper and hand sanitizers. That kind of behavior, along with those that don't follow advise are proof that some humans are dumber than the actual virus.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 05:10:03 AM »
But homebrewing suply sales will go up

Yes, my distilling supply business has sold out of all the large systems this week. My customers are all making hand sanitiser as quick as possible to help.

There's so many industries that this will shock through though. I keep wondering about the major and minor changes to our world that will result form this.

Peoples attitudes to others will change, and things that were just fine before will become abhorrent.

This has not happened in our lifetime, so there's an opportunity to listen to experts and follow the best advise. There was no way of predicting this pandemic, so there's no point stressing over what we could and should have done prior, because we didn't think about it until now. That's my general opinion. As for operators, it is the same for any operator in any industry. Times HAVE changed. We have our savings, so we will survive. My kids are safe at home, and won't leave home anytime soon. I go to my factory every day and keep working until they close the Post Offices (RTBB) or force me to stay home (APR).

Follow the constant updates, follow the advise, and don't panic buy 12 years of toilet paper and hand sanitizers. That kind of behavior, along with those that don't follow advise are proof that some humans are dumber than the actual virus.

I agree, not into the whole concept of blame or worrying over the past. I hope things keep rolling (sic) for you guys, and will definitely be doing what i can to help support pinball even though i fell in love with it so late in life.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 05:07:24 AM »
Our group has found some small ways to help the op in our circle keep some of his machines by renting them by the month.

It's not a full income, but it's still something to keep his machines going and we get to enjoy our isolation a little more.

No fear is at mine waiting for my mate to pick it up from here and i'm bringing Aerosmith up for a couple of months as i haven't played nearly enough time on this when i had to put a fiver in to play. May swap it for The Munsters in a month or two.
I like that game except for the callouts, my generation the TV show to, just.

Maybe the new way for operators to get on?

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 09:10:58 AM »
Another one of the Freeballers is taking Jurrasic Park by the month. Feeling much better about the future of pinball and really glad i can help in some small way by renting a game or two and promoting to friends.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
Talked him out of The Munsters too, so now i am renting Munsters and Aerosmith :D

Waiting for bank details from a FB guy so i can purchase his restored Cyclone too it'll look brilliant next to my restored Hurricane, Red letter pin day! Who's got a beautiful Cyclone they don't want?

Haven't had a new pin for months it seems.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »
Cyclone is a great game

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »
Certain looks like Pinheads have been busy (or about to get busy) during lockdown with their projects. Not on the scale of toilet paper, but RTBB sales have been on the rise in the last 2 weeks.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Gemini2544

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wimmera Victoria
  • Latest restore "Top Score" Two plater EM
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »
What ever you do don't mention the virus war...I thought I got a way with it but I was wrong.  &^&
My collection- Gottleib "Wild life", "Gottleib "Top Score", Gottleib "Target Alpha", Gottleib "Cleopatra", Williams "Space Mission", Williams "Pin*Bot", Bally "Black-Rose" JJP "WOZ" & Chicago Coin "Fun land" Rifle.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 05:43:00 AM »
They're here. I'd forgotten how much good, clean fun the Munsters is. Also secured the Cyclone all paid and Bill will be getting it for me on the way back next week. @@*

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
If there's any operators here from Tassie to Perth to the top end, it's going mad on FB with people wanting to rent machines at reasonable prices per month. We're talking pinball people here;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497239890571190/

GetOnItPunkin