Author Topic: A few years on ! X Men Pro & ACDC Pro feedback !  (Read 180 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
A few years on ! X Men Pro & ACDC Pro feedback !
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:07 AM »
A few years on, and I wanted to give some feedback on my BNIB purchases of my ACDC Pro and my X Men Pro which I bought roughly at the same time.
Because I have had these for a few years I thought I would do a review of how these games have stood up to time and play.

Firstly, I got both games from AMD in Sydney. I didn't get the games pulled out n checked and was keen to get them straight from the factory untouched.
Both machines were perfect and I don't recall anything needed doing. Maybe one loose LED in a pop bumper which was a five second fix.
I chose to fit shaker motors to both machines and underbody rails to both games. Very easy.

How have they been ?

Well, absolutely no repairs needed. Did the easy software updates on both machines. Original balls were fine. Original speakers were more than adequate. I did a number of small mods to both machines for aesthetics only. Were quite cheap. Machines haven't got old or boring. Both are still a lot of fun. Which one is a better player to me ? X Men Pro by about 25 percent. The third flipper on X Men is a lot of fun.
Which gets the most looks from visitors ? ACDC.

Only Complaints ?

At the end of the plastic ACDC ramps, the metal press studded joined on flaps were metal black or blued as the technical term should be, but most of the colour has come off in the first few months. In contrast, the X Men game came with silver metal ramp slides on the ends so no loss of colour here.

Factory rubbers on both machines very good BUT the Std flipper rubbers get dirty very quick and they have a tendency to keep walking themselves up high on the flipper bats and almost come off after Apx 20 games on either ACDC or X Men. Maybe silicone Super bands might be worth a look.

Other hassle which is annoying !

DMD glare on the glass. Stern have since adjusted the DMD angle to reduce glare. It's not worth spending $300 per machine on anti glare glass so I might do a home mod and do a DMD backboard angle adjustment myself on all my new Sterns that the glare is annoying.

Should you keep an eye out for a HUO ACDC or X Men ??

YES. Both great games. Can be picked up at great prices and most are Home use only.
Resale is easy and both games don't get old at all. Just make sure u have the latest software updates so u have the latest code. If u want to play either one of these models, contact a member and Pop past for a game.
Both games are repair free, haven't played up once and are very enjoyable to play.

I will do a review later on about Zmustang and Star Trek and TWDead when the time comes around.

Both ACDC Pro and X Men Pro are highly recommended for those looking to pick up something a few years old that could be new to your collection. Give them a go ! And keep havin fun flipping !

Would I sell mine ? No. Just too much fun and opening those brand new in box pinnys is a lifetime fun memory u never forget. Also, always ask if the collector has the original box when buying. Doesn't hurt to keep the original Stern box if u like to keep it. Can give some reassurance you are prob buying from the first owner. Doesn't hurt to ask for original invoice which most owners keep and are happy to pass on. Always ask if machine has ever had a warranty repair and who did it. Otherwise, all good to go !
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:12:35 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: A few years on ! X Men Pro & ACDC Pro feedback !
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »
A friend in the USA is suggesting that a vault edition X Men is on the cards for the later part of 2015.
It did Sell extremely well here in Australia, second only in numbers to ACDC.
There has also been a few hints dropped on Facebook by Stern in the last few weeks.
Surprisingly, you hardly ever see the LE Red or LE Blue versions for resale much in Oz.
Same with the X Men Pro, not many offered.

Ironman Vault edition was popular, and X Men is a better game IMHO so maybe the Vault edition of X Men might do well ?
If anyone else hears or sees anything, pls add to the thread.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !