Author Topic: laptop / notebook advice  (Read 560 times)

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
laptop / notebook advice
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
Knowing that several AP members are in the IT industry, I need some advice.
I need to buy a new laptop/notebook. I know that I need around 2ghz processor and 2gb ram.
All I need it for is internet, basic Microsoft Office program use and downloading from my video camera to make an burn simple dvd movies. I don't play games on the laptop.
Any advice what to buy or brands to avoid?
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: laptop / notebook advice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:59:42 PM »
Knowing that several AP members are in the IT industry, I need some advice.
I need to buy a new laptop/notebook. I know that I need around 2ghz processor and 2gb ram.
All I need it for is internet, basic Microsoft Office program use and downloading from my video camera to make an burn simple dvd movies. I don't play games on the laptop.
Any advice what to buy or brands to avoid?

Depends on how much you want to spend.  Are you able to salary sacrifice a laptop through work?

I've always been a Windows man, but having worked with Macs for the past 12 months it maybe something to consider.

2GB RAM would be the minimum too.  4 is preferable for either, although Vista will only use 3 if running 32bit version.  Macs not an issue.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:26:26 PM »
not sure why you would need 2 gb of ram etc when your main activity is internet and no gaming. Im sure you can get something at even the 1.6ghz and 1 or 2 gig of ram for cheap... my advise is too stay away from IBM thinkpads.... grrrrrr

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
My preference is to get something with a 2 year warranty - MSI have some pretty cheap options for what you want.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »
not sure why you would need 2 gb of ram etc when your main activity is internet and no gaming. Im sure you can get something at even the 1.6ghz and 1 or 2 gig of ram for cheap... my advise is too stay away from IBM thinkpads.... grrrrrr

Depends on what OS you get.  Vista needs at least 2gb, sweet spot is with 4g.

Price of RAM these days is cheap.

Offline acejas

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
Mate

Youll get all kinds of answers and everyones got likes and dislikes. Ive bought many laptops over the years for myself and clients and have had good and bad points for all.

Just bought a Dell for my sister and Im very happy with it - so far. Theres really not much difference for a sub - 1k lappy (thats the laptop variety) so Id go for warranty and support.

Cheers
Jas

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
I went and looked at some today and come away with more info but still unsure. Am told to look for duo core. I'm after something around $1100.
(Thanks for the salary sacrifice idea - will take that up)
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »
hmmmm at my place of work we cant do salray sacrifice on notebooks anymore... i thought k rudd put a stop to that sort of thing  !@#

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »
Your'e right Rob, there were some changes to this in May 2008. You used to be able to claim depreciation on the laptop in your personal return and the laptop would only be exempt from fringe benefits tax if it is primarily used for work purposes.