Author Topic: HRP Funhouse Chrome Restoration...  (Read 1743 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP Funhouse Chrome Restoration...
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
**56K DIAL UP USERS SHOULD NOT LOAD THIS POST - IMAGE INTENSIVE**

Hi guys,

I figured it would be interesting to show a little more of the process involved in restoring a clients game at work.

I picked the Funhouse project because it demonstrates the flexibility of my business, and the finish that can be achieved from what i would consider a

rough base game.

While the finish of the game is not original in presentation (chrome etc) the process of restoration was still employed on this project - saving the

playfield and cabinet was important to the client.

Pictures will give more detail, so here we go...

base game received...

photos here just provide a good before and after comparisson...

full mylar and sys11 still makes me nervous...

Pretty ugly interior. Floor sagged and generally filthy...

Better look at it here...

Game moved out to begin teardown...

Underside stripped...

Breaking down sub assemblies early as i try to get all metal out for plating while i restore the important parts :)

Cabinet gutted and broken down...

Playfield stripped top and bottom. At this point i was contemplating a repro as i was unsure i could get the finish required for a game like this...

sys11 ERA mylar removal process worked well. I expected some borders to be lost but there was very little...

results...

lots of work to do...

Shooter lane was split out so i got this right first up...

both shooter lanes were reshaped after the adhesive had cured...

Unfortunately it gets worse before it gets better with sys11 era playfields...sanded down somewhat

Playfield had the wrong pop bumper nails/screws installed and were terribly oversized. Carbon fiber filler used to recreate this area...

Same is various other areas...

sanded down, ready to finish out...

Stage two...

much better...

Ready for first clears. Throughout all of my restores, i will clear the playfield at various stages and cut each application right down. I do this to

ensure that all of my fixes adhere well to the previous substrate layer and so i dont get a 'layered' touchup look (where the fix appears to float on top

of the clear)...

While the playfield is on the go, so is the cabinet...

Getting somewhere...i think?!

Backbox is getting squared up here...

smooth...

Field in the booth for first round of clearcoat...

The following may be overkill in regards to the photos but i thought it would be pretty interesting to highlight the work involved with this...

Playfield back at the main shop and ready to sand down...

At the very least it is flat now...

masking the wood tones here...i couldnt save the original timber so this is the only way...

colour sprayed out...

results...

shooter lane looks nicer...

white is up next...

nearly masked up...

ready...

colour down...

looks cleaner...

any really low spots or areas of concern are also addressed and sanded down...

Red sections...

red doesnt cover that well so i base white first so as to eliminate all of the dirt in the ball track...

applied...may look a little strange here as its still wet. it will darken up though...

Orange next...

Yellow...

with gradient (ball swirl area)...

green next...

sprayed...

Light blue areas...

masked and ready to go...

The playfield at this point has had most of its colour replaced with my work. These photos show how many black lines need to be addressed. It still

doesnt look very good at all...

I need to catch the rest of the project up with the playfield...

Cabinet is ready to go now. Next gen Funhouse decals have been used for this project...

All of the switches are cleaned/new diodes etc etc...

parts tumbled...

bolt heads refinished...

more tumbled parts...

Cabinet is decalled and metal hardware is back. Parts had been ordered shortly after the game was stripped down...

Main cabinet is decalled and grounding braid is stapled/run...

optioned parts are arriving. I try to put these together as i go so as to keep things moving as best i can...

Cabinet is nearly built, just a few minor things...

Back to the playfield. I keep a notebook for all of the projects as i will occasionally pick up little things when i walk past a playfield, cabinet etc.

Even if i am not working on that particular project - i write them all down so i get as many little details as i can. If i stare at one playfield all day

it starts to look blurry and i start to 'miss the details' - which is NOT acceptable...

All blacklines are put down and ready for final clears and finish...

rebuilding all the mechs while the playfield cures...

ready to go...

underside will be addressed...

Cabinet is finished, and the playfield is being built...

Underside being populated now, i wont go into too much detail here as i have covered that in the other posts...

playfield back in the cabinet...i just need to populate the topside. probably a few days left in the project...

Topside built and new glass installed...

So at this point the game will go through its tests, switches, mechs and i will actually play the game. The machine is also tested and tagged.

The following photos are simply glamour shots to help highlight the finish achieved from the process detailed above.

The sky was grey when the photos were taken so i hope they are clear enough...

Here they are :)

Supportive girlfriend in the background  $!&

Thanks for reading guys, hope you enjoyed the post.

el_timbo

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: HRP Funhouse Chrome Restoration...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
Great work as always Tim.

I can see many many many hours went into that.

No doubt the client is very happy.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
You really are a freak

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
THERE IS NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER THAT YOU ARE THE BEST PINBALL RESTORER IN THE WORLD TODAY.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
I love these hotrod pinball threads!
Amazing work.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

Stunning work again, another client about to receive a game restored to a standard that will be hard to meet, let alone beat.

I am privileged to get to see some of this first hand and by video, and envy the customers who receive these pieces of art.

Well done mate!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »
Just beautiful  ^^^ I'd love to have seen the owners face when he first layed eyes on it. Thanks for the post and pictures, I loved looking/ reading the progress. Really first class, looking forward to your next project.  *%*

Offline bongostar

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
On behalf of my family, I would like to thank Tim Reid for the incredible restoration of our Funhouse.  
We were confident Tim would do a great job however we had no idea our tired pin could be transformed like this.  

After my wife and I saw the quality of the cab restoration, we encouraged Tim to unleash himself completely and take the machine to the highest level possible.  

Tim is the most professional, honest, talented and hard working guy I think we have ever come across.  We would definately be up there with very few master pinball restoration artisans anywhere in the world.  

We unreservedly recommend Tim's services to anyone contemplating a restoration for a very special pin in your collection.

Thank you is not enough for this truly incredible restoration Tim.   #*# @@* #*# @@* #*#

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
On behalf of my family, I would like to thank Tim Reid for the incredible restoration of our Funhouse.  
We were confident Tim would do a great job however we had no idea our tired pin could be transformed like this.  

After my wife and I saw the quality of the cab restoration, we encouraged Tim to unleash himself completely and take the machine to the highest level possible.  

Tim is the most professional, honest, talented and hard working guy I think we have ever come across.  We would definately be up there with very few master pinball restoration artisans anywhere in the world.  

We unreservedly recommend Tim's services to anyone contemplating a restoration for a very special pin in your collection.

Thank you is not enough for this truly incredible restoration Tim.   #*# @@* #*# @@* #*#

That is one glowing endorsement and I am now thinking a fully restored hotrodded classic might be a better way to go and a better use of coin than another NIB.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
It is just stunning work once again and i have to agree that your work is the best i have seen worldwide

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »

That is one glowing endorsement and I am now thinking a fully restored hotrodded classic might be a better way to go and a better use of coin than another NIB.

You are spot on - when you see one of these games finished it really is inspiring. If you have a classic or a modern classic B/W game that you love, seeing it restored to this level is something to behold. Tim will be doing my AFM cab one of these days. As it already has a new playfield and basically all new other parts, Tim's work to the exterior will create a masterpiece I am certain based on the games I have seen in the flesh.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »

You are spot on - when you see one of these games finished it really is inspiring. If you have a classic or a modern classic B/W game that you love, seeing it restored to this level is something to behold. Tim will be doing my AFM cab one of these days. As it already has a new playfield and basically all new other parts, Tim's work to the exterior will create a masterpiece I am certain based on the games I have seen in the flesh.

The more I think about it the more I realise this prob is the way to go for me....might have to sell IM to make it happen but I can't help thinking I would be much happier with a fully restored classic game that looks even better than a nib stern.
Hmmm which game though..... !@# Maybe shouldn't have sold my really nice aus delivered wh20, that would have scrubbed up beautifully.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

Send the link to Christopher Hutchins. This restoration is the equal, if not better, than his work. Thanks for sharing, Tim. I'm gobsmacked.

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »

Send the link to Christopher Hutchins. This restoration is the equal, if not better, than his work. Thanks for sharing, Tim. I'm gobsmacked.

^^^

Don't need to, Chris has been asking Tim for hints and tips for a while now!  %$%

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
 UN- F*CKEN- BELIEVABLE ^%^  ^%^

Looks like I need a trip to Epping  && #@# &&
DW Drums rule !