Author Topic: meguiars hi tec yellow wax... any good??  (Read 281 times)

Offline pokermachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
meguiars hi tec yellow wax... any good??
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »
Hey all..
Just bought some meguiars hi tec yellow wax from supercheap auto as everyone says get meguiars or mother wax and this was the cheaper of the two..... still $29 bucks tho!

Can says carnauba wax but also in the contents i later found contains silicon and other stuff so what i ended up with is not 100% wax :cry

Is this the right stuff everyone bangs on about or should i return it??

Thanks..

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: meguiars hi tec yellow wax... any good??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »
I am fairly sure anything with silicone in it will cause you issues later on if you ever wanted to do painting touchups. Maybe some one can confirm that.....
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
im no expert with pinball machines, but i am a car person, its damn good for cars or bikes, so you havent wasted your money. lol

Offline pokermachine

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
Yeah the silicone thing scares me a tiny bit but I doubt I will ever spray the field but touch ups may be affected.... What wax does everyone use?
 This wax is a hard yellow block like everyone says to buy but says contains polymers, resins and silicones for easy wipe on

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:04:38 AM »
Buy a 100% carnauba wax.  It should be hard and softens when rubbed, then sets hard again giving the best protection to your PFs.
Some of the other additives are bad and are for removing impurities from car finishes.
I use Mothers Carnauba Wax its great stuff but very expensive, but lasts a long time

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »
I use Mothers Carnauba Wax its great stuff but very expensive, but lasts a long time

Matt's on the right stuff, I've have been using this for years without drama. I actually enjoy putting in that little bit of elbow grease to get is soft - a few rubs and it softens and is really easy to then spread, and months later still providing good protection in home use environment. I reckon I've only bought two tins over the years, still on my second. Cheap in the scheme off things.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
Buy a 100% carnauba wax.  It should be hard and softens when rubbed, then sets hard again giving the best protection to your PFs.
Some of the other additives are bad and are for removing impurities from car finishes.

+1 with Nick and Matt. I think, that Mothers sell both a tin and bottle (liquid) form. Go the tin, as it contains no additives etc. Very very good protection for your playfield and safe on clearcoated/restored fields etc.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05550-05750.html

Offline pokermachine

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
Ok swapped the tin over for mothers California gold pure wax in a red tin.... Says pure on the front but underneath it says caution flammable contains petroleum...? So is this the pure stuff or have I got the wrong gear again?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
Ok swapped the tin over for mothers California gold pure wax in a red tin.... Says pure on the front but underneath it says caution flammable contains petroleum...? So is this the pure stuff or have I got the wrong gear again?

thats typical Carnauba its used to soften the wax, makes it easier to apply on paint, that is an petrolium is a ingredient for Carnauba waxes on cars. you would find that on any of carnauba soft waxes. again i dont know anything about pinball waxing, so im explaining it on car side as i have a show car, there are hard waxes with no petrolium or silicones you would have to look for natural hard waxes if the aim is to avoid those chems on your pinball. they are getting harder to find as silcones are very popular for cars as natural hard waxes are very hard to polish off after being applied. so somene here might be abble to advise you on if petrolium based waxes are ok? i ont know that but on your question of why is this pure cab wax with petrolium well that is what cab wax has in it. if it doesnt have silicone which is the replacement for petrolium in other waxes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:20:39 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
If it looks like this... 

it is the right stuff  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »

I've been using Meguiars paste wax for 20 years, and I've found it to be the best out there;

http://www.meguiars.com.au/productdetail_2006.php?seq=80&category=CAR%20CARE&subcat=Paint%20Care&subsubcat=Polish%20and%20Protect&show=1

I'm now trialling the Treasurecove wax kit and it looks great, but its not a paste wax.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia