Author Topic: Stern's next pinball  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Stern's next pinball
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »
Metalica not for me but KISS I'm in no problems.

Peter

Matalica doesn't do it for me at all ,
However I wouldn't mind a Queen or Beatles !
And  I'm happy with the original kiss .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:07:01 AM by Ant68 »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

I HOPE Stern overlook the KISS idea. I'd prefer JJP working on music theme - and if it were KISS / Metallica / Led Zeppelin - I'd be more than keen.

+1
For me everything in my life is about quality not quantity, I can not ever see myself buying a Stern until they improve their game, even Metallica, and I am a HUGE fan. i simply can not justify the rediculous amounts Stern charge for their games.

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

I HOPE Stern overlook the KISS idea. I'd prefer JJP working on music theme - and if it were KISS / Metallica / Led Zeppelin - I'd be more than keen.

+1
For me everything in my life is about quality not quantity, I can not ever see myself buying a Stern until they improve their game, even Metallica, and I am a HUGE fan. i simply can not justify the rediculous amounts Stern charge for their games.

I see where you're coming from, but for something is developed and assembled in the U.S and then shipped out to Australia, I don't see how much cheaper a new pinball machine could cost? $6000 for a Pro makes the Jersey Jack machine look expensive. Then people say "oh, but Jersey Jack is about quality". To that I say, wait until people get them in the home and then we'll talk quality.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
well said.

I think alot of people forget that JJP's mission statement was to bring out a pinball machine that was -

1. cheaper than the Stern model (didnt happen, its dearer than every Stern model)
2. bring out a model ontime without the need for multiple code upgrades (hasnt happened and it will need multiple code upgrades once u recieve it)
3. a better machine with more toys, more everything (yes, that has happened, but they are charging almost $4,000 more for the upgrades)
4. a higher quality built machine (we dont know yet cause we have to see one and see it used over a 12 month period so it can be proven)

and JJP isnt the only culprit here.
Stern also promised to deliver what the fans/customers were asking for, which was a better quality machine, with more toys, more bling etc, at the same price.
That didnt happen, and when it did happen, sort of, it was called a LE and u had to pay an extra $2400 to get those upgrades.
So whilst i am a huge Stern fan, it seems that not only poloticians make promises and end up changing things and charging a hefty price for it.

Personally, I am very happy with the level of the Pro machines for the $6600 delivered/shaker motor etc, but If Stern was to cut costs or cut anything on the Pro model, I would stop buying. The Pro models must stay the same, as a minimum, or get even better to keep their captive audience happier.

The whole Pinball Industry has to get more efficient, and really focus on absolute value for money.IMO anyway.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
well said.

I think alot of people forget that JJP's mission statement was to bring out a pinball machine that was -

1. cheaper than the Stern model (didnt happen, its dearer than every Stern model)
2. bring out a model ontime without the need for multiple code upgrades (hasnt happened and it will need multiple code upgrades once u recieve it)
3. a better machine with more toys, more everything (yes, that has happened, but they are charging almost $4,000 more for the upgrades)
4. a higher quality built machine (we dont know yet cause we have to see one and see it used over a 12 month period so it can be proven)

Stern also promised to deliver what the fans/customers were asking for, which was a better quality machine, with more toys, more bling etc, at the same price.
That didnt happen, and when it did happen, sort of, it was called a LE and u had to pay an extra $2400 to get those upgrades.
So whilst i am a huge Stern fan, it seems that not only poloticians make promises and end up changing things and charging a hefty price for it.

Personally, I am very happy with the level of the Pro machines for the $6600 delivered/shaker motor etc, but If Stern was to cut costs or cut anything on the Pro model, I would stop buying. The Pro models must stay the same, as a minimum, or get even better to keep their captive audience happier.

The whole Pinball Industry has to get more efficient, and really focus on absolute value for money.IMO anyway.

I have forgotten the Mission Statement - I can only find it here ;

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/ourmission.aspx

To compare a late model Stern to WOZ in terms of pricing, is a $5 difference after a quick search online!

WOZ

http://www.pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=45&idcategory=2

AC/DC - even after it has been out for 12 months

http://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product_detail.asp?productId=308&categoryId=30&returnPage=%2Fproducts%2Easp%3FcategoryId%3D30%26returnPage%3D%252Fcategories%252Easp%253FcategoryId%253D1

The AC/DC is a massive $5 cheaper ! I can't see where it costs $4000 to "upgrade" a WOZ - You can get a shaker motor and inviglass for an extra $500 according to the website (see the link)

Bringing a model out on time - Well at least JJP is honest with their estimates. Nothing like the huge problems with AC/DC shaker motors, boards etc. They rushed AC/DC out the door and it cost them with repairs etc. Then the Avengers / Hulk software updates - 90 "changes and fixes" - That's quality for you !

From an engineering background, the photos of the WOZ electronics etc compared to Stern, they are miles apart. Stern have some serious catching up to do.

Stern need to get serious. Drop the three different "models" and give the public what they are used to - One model and that's it. As suggested on another thread - We need the STANDARD for Stern to be what they release as a Premium. Drop the Pro Model. That's what people want, or they will be moving away from sterns and looking at the competition.

The winner will always be the public. The bar is lifted, and the ball is back in Stern's court. I want them to succeed by lifting their standards. I can't wait to see BETTER sterns on the market in say a year's time.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:42 PM »
Competition is always good for us buyers hey and for the record I love my acdc and Tron and both with zero problems two great games- I can't comment on jacks pinball cause it ain't out yet.
I may end up with a JJP and a stern where does that put me lol

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Competition is always good for us buyers hey and for the record I love my acdc and Tron and both with zero problems two great games- I can't comment on jacks pinball cause it ain't out yet.

Peter

I enjoy playing late model Sterns, although I dislike the different models. I'm looking forward to the competition. I will be in the market for a NIB to add to my collection, so I'm looking forward to Stern's new games this year as well as WOZ and Hobbit in 2014. I think the real winner is the consumer.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Peter
+1
My ACDC has been going strong for 12 months now, still running it in. Plays better now than when new.
Avengers has been hammered for past 4 days and is very addictive. Mechanically it feels even tighter than ACDC when it was new, especially the flippers, they feel stronger.
The only issues so far with ACDC have been with couple of broken rubbers and a few faulty LEDs and blown flashers. AMD have been very good and have supplied all replacements free of charge.
Nothing to complain about.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
well said.

To compare a late model Stern to WOZ in terms of pricing, is a $5 difference after a quick search online!

WOZ

http://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product_detail.asp?productId=308&categoryId=30&returnPage=%2Fproducts%2Easp%3FcategoryId%3D30%26returnPage%3D%252Fcategories%252Easp%253FcategoryId%253D1

The AC/DC is a massive $5 cheaper ! I can't see where it costs $4000 to "upgrade" a WOZ - You can get a shaker motor and inviglass for an extra $500 according to the website (see the link)

Bringing a model out on time - Well at least JJP is honest with their estimates. Nothing like the huge problems with AC/DC shaker motors, boards etc. They rushed AC/DC out the door and it cost them with repairs etc. Then the Avengers / Hulk software updates - 90 "changes and fixes" - That's quality for you !

From an engineering background, the photos of the WOZ electronics etc compared to Stern, they are miles apart. Stern have some serious catching up to do.

Stern need to get serious. Drop the three different "models" and give the public what they are used to - One model and that's it. As suggested on another thread - We need the STANDARD for Stern to be what they release as a Premium. Drop the Pro Model. That's what people want, or they will be moving away from sterns and looking at the competition.

The winner will always be the public. The bar is lifted, and the ball is back in Stern's court. I want them to succeed by lifting their standards. I can't wait to see BETTER sterns on the market in say a year's time.

Good comparison, Nino when comparing the two you definitely have to put the premium up against the JJP models, apples with apples.
The premium is the model as the designers wanted, the pro a cut back budget model.
Surprised to see only a $5 difference between the two, I know which I would rather put my hard earned toward, even with the loooong wait.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
(hasnt happened and it will need multiple code upgrades once u recieve it)

Do we KNOW this??

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
Straight from the Pinsider's mouth today:

"Lyman is doing the code for Metallica - Thought he was doing Star Trek's but heard he is doing Metallica's instead. Last time he paired up with Borg we got Tron. Here is to hoping they can make another hit."

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »
Straight from the Pinsider's mouth today:

"Lyman is doing the code for Metallica - Thought he was doing Star Trek's but heard he is doing Metallica's instead. Last time he paired up with Borg we got Tron. Here is to hoping they can make another hit."

Sounds good to me. I hope they make a good game out of it. My AC/DC needs a new mate.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »

?huh?
Jack is 15 months (and counting) behind his original delivery date of December 2011
since then he has moved the timetable several times

even when we recieve the machine, the softwar will not be complete
(hasnt happened and it will need multiple code upgrades once u recieve it)

Do we KNOW this??
in regards to WoZ?
it is supposed to ship in 2 weeks
the software is not finished
there has been discusion on the private WoZ forum about updates, and they will happen
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:24:10 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
well said.

WOZ

Good comparison, Nino when comparing the two you definitely have to put the premium up against the JJP models, apples with apples.
The premium is the model as the designers wanted, the pro a cut back budget model.
Surprised to see only a $5 difference between the two, I know which I would rather put my hard earned toward, even with the loooong wait.

You'd prefer WOZ over ACDC?? Have you played acdc?  And I know you haven't played WOZ lol

Peter

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »

Peter
+1
My ACDC has been going strong for 12 months now, still running it in. Plays better now than when new.
Avengers has been hammered for past 4 days and is very addictive. Mechanically it feels even tighter than ACDC when it was new, especially the flippers, they feel stronger.
The only issues so far with ACDC have been with couple of broken rubbers and a few faulty LEDs and blown flashers. AMD have been very good and have supplied all replacements free of charge.
Nothing to complain about.

ACDC 4000 games flippers still as strong blown maybe 5 LEDs all replaced and they gave me a new BG couldn't be happier and I love the choice of 3 models. Tron 1000 games very happy all good my end.

Peter