Author Topic: My second pin has arrived - Pro football  (Read 8569 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: My second pin has arrived - Pro footballer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

I don't think you are missing the "side board".. Can you confirm that the score reel is the "10,000" ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »
Ok heres a pic of the k relay. hard to see it but everything looks to be connected.

Also the problem is on the 100's unit. The others all have "side boards" The score currently reads 51740 and its definately the reel that affects the 7. Sorry for being such a newb ...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »

According to the schematic, the 100s score unit does not have the side board in circuit. Therefore, the "M" relay could be the culprit. You can remove the coil from the score reel unit - but ensure the digit is NOT on the number "9" or "0"..

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »
Ok, ive looked at the relays (not knowing what the hell im doing  !*!) and noticed that on all the relays when i lift the plastic up it makes all the prongs contact (3 pairs of 2) However on the M relay only the bottom 2 make contact and the top 2 dont sit on the plastic. Damn i just read that back and it doesnt make sense but i cant explain any other way.... In any case, this shouldnt effect the ability of the machine to fire up. Its still in tilt and when i flicked the on switch before, the motor started running. I flicked it on just now and nothing happens (just the lights and tilt sign come on). Wow i really think i've bitten off more than i can chew!!  :lol

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
No you haven't....what you need to think is you wont get this game running today, tomorrow or maybe even next week.

Nino is right in what he says, what you need is a score reel coil, I just checked and I'm out.

Rob, take your time....what might be best if you just worry about the Gulfstream for now. Get that all working, get it reprayed, enjoy it, then move onto the Pro Football.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »

Tony is right - this game was bought as a non working game, and most of the time - they take time. We do need the score reel coil.

At this stage - It might be a good idea to think about your first Pinball Parts order from Pinball Resource. You can source the "hard to find" coil and other Gottlieb specific parts. You will need a schematic as well.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »
Ok i've taken my chill pill...  :lol. Its just my 4 year old sons eyes lit up when  he saw the second pin so i wanted to get it working for him..

I realise that Rome wasnt built in 1 day and because im a newb it'll take that much longer. I think its a case of prioritising. My reasoning for trying to get pro footballer up and running is so that i can take Gulfstream out of commission and work on restoring it while the kids (and me) play the footballer.

But what you guys say makes sense. 1 pin at a time.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, i wont give up and will keep updating my thread (until you guys get sick of me  *)*)

Cheers!!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 11:21:54 PM »
Rob,

Not just one pin at a time, one part of that pin at a time.

So maybe tomorrow rebuild the flippers, the next day the same with the pop bumpers, the nest day the score reels etc. Don't try to rebuild the entire game all at once.

Set a goal each day and stick with that.

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 04:03:19 AM »
Rob.
Being new to it you might not know this yet:
One thing about restoring pinball machines is that the minute you place a parts order, it somehow makes room in the brain for further thought or something because you immediately remember one or two things you already thought of but forgot and should have added to that order. Order those nuther two items and a couple more come to mind, and on and on. There seems to be no escaping it. I think everybody here will agree.

Take advantage of the time you will be taking not fixing the footballer pin by starting a list of parts you want/need. Keep a clipboard and pencil near the machine and the second an item comes to mind, scamper to the clipboard and add it to the list.This will help a lot.

The not-fixing time is also good for just closely observing things too of course. There are so many little parts in an EM game that it's easy to miss stuff. I think Clay (from pinrepair.com fame) is definitely correct regarding EMs, especially newly acquired non-working ones - a systematic approach for going through the entire game saves time in the long run rather than trying to chase down specific problems. Tighten all the switch stacks, clean and check all the contacts, DON'T start wholesale adjusting lots of blades, etc.. Study his EM guide, and even better (because it's fun and educational) buy or borrow and watch "This Old Pinball" DVDs, specifically #1 which will learn you tons of helpful information.

So to sum up:
1. get and watch TOP #1
2. start a parts list and keep it handy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:08:25 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »
Rob.
Being new to it you might not know this yet:
One thing about restoring pinball machines is that the minute you place a parts order, it somehow makes room in the brain for further thought or something because you immediately remember one or two things you already thought of but forgot and should have added to that order. Order those nuther two items and a couple more come to mind, and on and on. There seems to be no escaping it. I think everybody here will agree.

Take advantage of the time you will be taking not fixing the footballer pin by starting a list of parts you want/need. Keep a clipboard and pencil near the machine and the second an item comes to mind, scamper to the clipboard and add it to the list.This will help a lot.

The not-fixing time is also good for just closely observing things too of course. There are so many little parts in an EM game that it's easy to miss stuff. I think Clay (from pinrepair.com fame) is definitely correct regarding EMs, especially newly acquired non-working ones - a systematic approach for going through the entire game saves time in the long run rather than trying to chase down specific problems. Tighten all the switch stacks, clean and check all the contacts, DON'T start wholesale adjusting lots of blades, etc.. Study his EM guide, and even better (because it's fun and educational) buy or borrow and watch "This Old Pinball" DVDs, specifically #1 which will learn you tons of helpful information.

So to sum up:
1. get and watch TOP #1
2. start a parts list and keep it handy

Great advise, Vinito. I know I've hit the "send" button on an order to PBR, only to realize I forgot to add something !

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
Hey Rob,

One more thing - the game is called Pro Football, not Pro Footballer :lol

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: My second pin has arrived - Pro football
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »
 :lol i stand corrected

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »
Rob,

The board that is missing from the score reel is not actual missing as it is not required on the 100s unit.  The board is on the tens, thousand and tens thousands unit only.  This is becouse this bard is what tells the machine your score so that it knows when to pay a free game.  Example: When the game finishes the board on the tens unit tells the game what number it finished on so that it knows if you match the lucky number.  The boards on the side of the Ten Thousand unit and Thousand unit is used for identifying when the replay level is reached.  On this machine it is always in tens & thousands eg. 45000, 46000 or whatever. Therfore it does not require this board on the hundreds reel for anything and therfore its not fitted.  As Nino has said replace the coil for now and turn it on and see what happens.  If the coil energises and LOCKS on power the machine off ASAP or you will burn this coil out.  Where are you located?  If your in Melbourne I would be happy to pop over one day and run you through the operation basics of thses EMs.

Always be carfull around electricity for obvious reasons.  Espaecially if you have kids as high voltages (240V) is present inside the machine cabinet.  Does your place have an RCD fitted (safety switch)?  If not it would be a good idea for safety reasons to by a portable RCD from Bunnings and run your machines throu these.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:57 AM »
Thanks Dean!!!

What a great offer but unfortunately im in Sydney  !!! . Well im doing so much googling and watching videos etc and im slowly learning. By the end of 2009 i might know a thing or 2  :lol

I've got the schematics now, so im trying to learn how to read it. I've noticed a couple of wires that have come loose (near the bell and on the number of games counter so ive definately got some work to do.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 12:25:21 AM »
Thanks Dean!!!

What a great offer but unfortunately im in Sydney  !!! . Well im doing so much googling and watching videos etc and im slowly learning. By the end of 2009 i might know a thing or 2  :lol

I've got the schematics now, so im trying to learn how to read it. I've noticed a couple of wires that have come loose (near the bell and on the number of games counter so ive definately got some work to do.

Before you place any orders with PBR - make sure you have had a good look around the game - look for burnt coils, seized assemblies like the Vari Targets, the HOLD coil which could be a "toasty brown" color by now..  Fuses, globes, rubbers, flipper rebuild (if needed)

Have you had a read of the Marvin's Guides ?

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index.htm