Author Topic: Star Trek - Stern 2013  (Read 12056 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Star Trek - Stern 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
To my knowledge

Star Trek Bally 1979 (Spok n Kirk theme) 16,842 machines SOLD

Anything Bally produced in this era was a successful machine. This version is the best of the three.

Star Trek is like KISS (Band) it has a fanbase that spans 30 plus years....and most would be both young and older fans, of all ages.
Who doesnt like a good Sci-Fi Space theme...always sold very well in the past.

Apples for Apples - I don't think Star Trek and KISS can be compared. A Star Trek Collector would buy the 2013 Version IF they had the money and IF they have the space. If the collector already owns the other two, then that's a lot of room taken up already. If stern produce the KISS remake - it will not appeal to pinball fans. 9/10 pinheads won't buy it. But KISS fans will. This makes up for the 9/10 pinheads that won't buy it. There are far more KISS fans than pinball fans - this is the key here.

I get asked about the Bally KISS at least once a fortnight. I've been asked for one Star Trek in the last 10 years. So it hard to compare demand if this is an indication.

I'm sure that when Stern missed "The Hobbit", their plan "B" was a remake of a remake. Clutching at straws, I think. There are so many good themes - "The Walking Dead", "Futurama", "Toy Story", "Metallica" - these are all GREAT themes. There's so much out there..

I hope this is just a rumor and that Stern think about other possibilities.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »
Personally for me, I reckon Star Trek Next Gen 1993 leaves Star Trek 1978 for dead 10 times over....

Gary Stern has said in the past that a title has to be able to be played in a pub/bar, anywhere there is alcohol and be attractive to adults as well as attractive to kids if in arcades etc....hard to fill those shoes and also, u have to get something that all people from most countries will recognise straight away. Star Trek does this for example, where alot of other stuff doesnt do it......has to be a success in Europe as well he has said....

I have researched the sales figures of machines during the 1990's, all manufacturers, and licenced titles have sold more than unlicenced titles when u look at all manufacturers and all titles as a whole and their sales figures....I will print these results later on another thread.

Finding any title and making it commercially viable, is not an easy task in 2013.....(and YES to a walking dead pinball 4 sure).....lets see what big blockbuster movies come out in 2013.....wish i had a time machine.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
I hear 10 pin bowling is making a comeback

It has been a while since that was used on a pinball machine

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »

Gary Stern has said in the past that a title has to be able to be played in a pub/bar, anywhere there is alcohol and be attractive to adults as well as attractive to kids if in arcades etc....hard to fill those shoes and also, u have to get something that all people from most countries will recognise straight away. Star Trek does this for example, where alot of other stuff doesnt do it.....

Star Trek is definitely not attractive to bar patrons. Look like a total dork playing a Star Trek pin, good way to ensure you will not pick up that night and all your mates will not want to be seen with you   %@#

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
STAR TREK, another movie based of a future stern pinball.  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:06:05 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »

Star Trek is definitely not attractive to bar patrons. Look like a total dork playing a Star Trek pin, good way to ensure you will not pick up that night and all your mates will not want to be seen with you   %@#

#*# :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:10 AM »
sorry to tell you this guys but there is a shit load of star trek fans out there. just look at the IPDB #2 machine   <.>
looks like some one at stern has looked at the top 10 and decided from that list.
lets face it would be pretty hard to make a new twilight zone because u just can't beat the original.
And if what has been mentioned is true about a new trek movie being released then if it is a good design it can't lose
Paramount would not make another Trek movie if they thought it wasn't going to make money. and the trek franchise is far from dead so  <.>

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 03:44:46 AM »
Totally agree with Andy(Beaky)....anyone who thinks Star Trek is for nerds or dorks only is dreaming....Star Trek has the worlds largest following of all TV generes or anything played on any TV medium, incl internet downloads for alltime sci-fi shows ofcourse.

Also, Sc-FI is also the worlds largest draw card, anything with new technology....and what is Ebays largest selling and sold items in the world, thats right, Star Trek items. Also, the USA has more Star Trek conventions than we have hot breakfasts. I think its humorous, that anyone who plays pinball, would think Star Trek is nerdy or dorky, when pinball itself is seen as nerdy, dorky n geeky from most outsiders.lol Are we all nerds, n geeks, n dorky, ofcourse not, we all come from every corner of society, just like star trek fans.

Saying that Star Trek frannchise and anything to do with it wouldnt be successful etc, would be like someone telling us the pinball industry is completely dead, when infact its thriving.....Also, Star Trek Next Gen Pinball sold 11, 800 ish units back then. Who played all those almost 12,000 machines, dorks only...I think not !. lol

Also, re Data Easts sales of 4400 back in 1990 ish, we cant compare 2013 potential sales figures to the hey days of pinball, we live in a different era when pinball is competing with 50 other computer driven advanced gaming devices, unlike 1990. Star Trek Next Gen has featured in the top 10 DMD games of all time since its inception. 12,000 units is no shabby sales figure.

If Star Trek is made, it will sell enough to keep Stern happy and rolling along til the next title. If X Men can sell, if Avengers can sell, and these things are known by 10 percent of the people compared to Star Trek, Star Trek should sell OK, and thats all I am hoping for, to keep the pinball industry moving along...........
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:54:23 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »
Brett you are waisting your time

The cool kids on this forum only like dinosaur rock, everything else is lame

;)

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
recycling the same old crap is starting to wear thin.

Touche` to that my friend  @.@
DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »
Totally agree with Andy(Beaky)....anyone who thinks Star Trek is for nerds or dorks only is dreaming....Star Trek has the worlds largest following of all TV generes or anything played on any TV medium, incl internet downloads for alltime sci-fi shows ofcourse.

Also, Sc-FI is also the worlds largest draw card, anything with new technology....and what is Ebays largest selling and sold items in the world, thats right, Star Trek items. Also, the USA has more Star Trek conventions than we have hot breakfasts. I think its humorous, that anyone who plays pinball, would think Star Trek is nerdy or dorky, when pinball itself is seen as nerdy, dorky n geeky from most outsiders.lol Are we all nerds, n geeks, n dorky, ofcourse not, we all come from every corner of society, just like star trek fans.

Saying that Star Trek frannchise and anything to do with it wouldnt be successful etc, would be like someone telling us the pinball industry is completely dead, when infact its thriving.....Also, Star Trek Next Gen Pinball sold 11, 800 ish units back then. Who played all those almost 12,000 machines, dorks only...I think not !. lol

Also, re Data Easts sales of 4400 back in 1990 ish, we cant compare 2013 potential sales figures to the hey days of pinball, we live in a different era when pinball is competing with 50 other computer driven advanced gaming devices, unlike 1990. Star Trek Next Gen has featured in the top 10 DMD games of all time since its inception. 12,000 units is no shabby sales figure.

If Star Trek is made, it will sell enough to keep Stern happy and rolling along til the next title. If X Men can sell, if Avengers can sell, and these things are known by 10 percent of the people compared to Star Trek, Star Trek should sell OK, and thats all I am hoping for, to keep the pinball industry moving along...........

I was not saying it didn't have followers, you stated Gary wanted titles that would appeal to bar patrons, Star Trek does not appeal to your average bar patron, in that environment, that title would probably put the patrons off playing as they would be ribbed for being a dork.
Ac/dc or Metallica is a completely different situation, it could easily slide into a bar, all your mates would happily stand around and have a few games, it's just a much cooler theme
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:20:19 AM by ktm450 »

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
As Beaky(Andy) said, u can never have enough of anything Star Trek.

I had had enough of Star Trek by around 1968 - I was 2  :lol :lol  #@# :lol :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

I was not saying it didn't have followers, you stated Gary wanted titles that would appeal to bar patrons, Star Trek does not appeal to your average bar patron, in that environment, that title would probably put the patrons off playing as they would be ribbed for being a dork.
Ac/dc or Metallica is a completely different situation, it could easily slide into a bar, all your mates would happily stand around and have a few games, it's just a much cooler theme

+1

Well said Matt. For the same reason WOZ won't work in a pub, Star Trek won't work either. If Stern do remake the remake this year, they better have another two GOOD titles in the pipeworks to make up for it. If Stern insist on a remake of a remake - then look at Playboy. That would be massive.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »
believe it or not, Avengers, Xmen and LOTR movies were based on the Original stern pinball theme.   *%*
and stern is so great they Named a band after a Stern title, ACDC  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:01:49 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
Pinball machines are just imitating Hollywood - there seems to be a lack of original thought any more. I see they are relaeasing yet another Superman incarnation! Surely someone can come up with a new idea at some stage. I think its about the money - so much is spent making movies they want a tested and proven idea to try and recoup the costs - no room for gambling. Much like pinball machines - a theme sold well in the past, so just rehash it again with updated electronics. I personally prefer a good rule set and challenge to a pretty theme. Give me a well playing anything and I'd be happy - nude women would help of course. I agree with someone else who suggested a MMA theme - that would rate with the younger crowd big time ^^^