Author Topic: Gottlieb Sunshine 1958  (Read 2099 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Gottlieb Sunshine 1958
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »
Now in the restoration queue is Gottlieb’s Sunshine from September 1958, production run 1100. She joins Thoro-Bred and Bowling Queen who are also being rebuilt at the same time. The game was designed by Wayne Neyens and artwork done by Roy Parker. The game was in fairly good original condition for a game of this vintage. The first thing you will notice looking at the backglass is there are no score reels and has an animation unit. This game was made 11 months before Gottlieb produced single player games with reels.

The score is totalled by lights behind the backglass which is simply stunning to watch in a dark room. The smallest amount of points available to score on the playfield is 10,000. So the score is made up of  the far right there is a column for 10,000 points,  the far left there is a column for millions and on the inside of that are scores for 100,000. You will notice inside of the head there are large stepper units – this is how the score is kept.

Another thing to notice on the backglass is in the top right there is a ranking system, this was the first game to feature this. So as the game and score progresses so does the rating. Gottlieb used this rating system during the late 1950s and phased it out towards the end of the production of woodrail pinballs.

This backglass is average but a reproduction has been bought and being shipped from the Shay Arcade Group. One of the woodrails was missing as was the lockdown bar. Bought new reproduction rails from PBR and had a new lockdown bar made.

All the playfield plastics are in excellent condition and even tracked down a NOS score and instruction card for it. Have just submitted an order for a stack of parts from PBR that will hopefully arrive next week. The legs have been resprayed and new leg bolts and levellers have been added.

So what to do next? Game is now fully working so will need to wait for the PBR parts before going any further on the playfield. The rails and lockdown bar will be fitted this weekend. There is a photo below showing the game next to Universe which is from 1959 showing the rails and lockdown bar on that game. Also have a Gottlieb Criss Cross from 1958 that will be next being restored and will sit next to Sunshine and Criss Cross.

How does the game play? For the guys into ‘newer’ pins this will seem really simple but nothing could be further from the truth. The player needs to complete the red odd numbers (1,3,5,7,9,11 and 13) and/or complete the white even numbers (2,4,6,8,10,12 and 14). If either is completed the player gets a free game. Complete all the numbers 1 to 15 and every rollover is lit for special. This is very tough to achieve but when you do it’s just jackpot time! Scores also award free games.

She will be complete and ready for the pinball meet in October  *%*

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Gottlieb Sunshine 1958
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:58 AM »
Inside the head showing the lack of score reels and the stepper units

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 11:38:48 AM »
Next 2 shots are Universe on the left with the timber rails and lockdown in place. Second shot is the replacement rails and lockdown bar

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »
Nice original cab - remember she is 50 years old  ^^^

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »
Cool pin Tony, ^^^  Can't what to play these old beauties at your meet.
Looking at those steppers in the head I'm always amazed at these EM Pinballs. The guy's that came up with the designs were a genius. It's hard enough getting your head around how they work , imagine try to create it from an idea in your head. Unreal.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:03:17 PM »
How cool is the artwork. I enjoy pinballs prob 50% play value, and 50% eye candy. EM pinballs, especially Gottlieb provide the best mix of both these 2 qualities. Top stuff Tony.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
Really nice looking game Tony . I love the artwork on this one .
Looking forward to purchasing your old BG when the time comes.  &&
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Hey Tony - why am I not surprised to see a hammer sitting on a playfield glass??   :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

Awesome Tony - For a 50 year old pin - it looks in better condition than machines half its age !

Can't wait to play it.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
Nice looking machine tony gotta love them woodrails ^^^

Offline Inkochnito

• Forum Posts:
  • Piershil Netherlands
    • Inkochnito's Pinball score and instruction cards
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 08:04:53 AM »
Nice looking game!
Can you send me an image from the instruction card please?
I know a lot like to have original card, but some like my reproduction cards.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
Nice looking game!
Can you send me an image from the instruction card please?
I know a lot like to have original card, but some like my reproduction cards.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

No worries Peter,

Will send in the next few days  *%*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
I was offered this pin and i thought REALLY hard about it... ended up with another game instead... its no good though... i still want it REALLY badly!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »
I was offered this pin and i thought REALLY hard about it... ended up with another game instead... its no good though... i still want it REALLY badly!

Mate I love these woodrails so much that I can see the day when my entire collection will be pre 1960. Already looking at selling my beautiful Gigi just to make room for another really old Gottlieb woodrail  *%*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
Gigi is beautiful!!

How i wish it was Gigi in Space then i could buy it... LOL!!! The only way i can discipline myself is to stick to a theme