Author Topic: Drop-A-Card - Gottlieb 1971 to restore......eventually ;-)  (Read 941 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Drop-A-Card - Gottlieb 1971 to restore......eventually ;-)
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:50 PM »
Hi all,
Here's the "Drop-A-Card" i scored on ebay.....

A lot of AP'ers had interest in it, so i thought i'd share pix and progress as i restore this puppy.

The owners have had it since late 70's, and it's moved between 3 houses as the kids always played it back in the day.
For the past 15 years it's been in their garage, snuggly keeping clean.
The machine hasn't had the beating i was expecting, definately hasn't seen any arcade use!

The seller told me the cabinet was 'dog-bitten'.
I didn't realise how bad this was until looking underneath.

Apparently their border-collie went absolutely mental as soon as the pinny was switched on.
The dog would run along the entire length of the cabinet chewing on it, trying to make it stop the noise....
Attack! Attack!

Looks like the dog was packing some gnarly chompers

Playfield overall ...

Headbox front, Quite CLEAN ...

Headbox inside, also quite CLEAN ...

Coindoor a little rusty ...

Playfield UPPER section ...

Playfield MIDDLE section ...

Playfield LOWER section ...

Playfield UNDERSIDE - Very CLEAN ...

Cabinet inside, not too shabby at all, and all relay labels are in place ...

As the seller said, it powers up, a few lights and the odd relay 'click' when you press the credit/start button and that's about it.
Shortly i'll go thru all the relays and see which one(s) are dead.

No doubt a combination of dirty mode switch and/or dead relay will be the culpritt.

Luckily for me, i have 3 'spare' gottlieb 1970's cabinets laying about, looks like i'll migrate the DAC guts into another
cabinet, then repaint accordingly.

Thankfully, the cab-art can be easily reproduced with masking tape and spray can.
Gotta love straight-line art hehehehehe.

Playfield appears to be VERY Clean and unworn, this should clean up nicely!
I'm a bit concerned about the mylar, not sure if i should attack it or leave it.
All suggestions welcome  #@#

Since this is my FIRST EM, and i know fudge-all about EM's, any help will be greatly welcomed of what i should look at first.
I guess on EM's there are always certains parts that ALWAYS screw up first.

I'm probably now looking for supplies of EM parts  #@#

Enjoy!!
MM.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:53:04 PM by Marty Machine »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
First thing to do Marty is manually move the credit wheel by activating the planger by hand then push the start button and see what happens.   if the scores are on zero and the score motor keeps running the first thing id check is the Stepper units as if these dont reset either will the game.  Good luck and ask as many questions as you need

Looks good except for the dog lol

Marty Machine

Thanx Dan, i'll tinker when possible.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Nice score, Marty !

That will come up nice when done.

It most likely will not be mylar on the playfield - it should be "contact" - which is a lot thinner and easier to remove.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
Great project. Lots of colour in that backglass. looks excellent  ^^^

pinballist

Marty that playfied & backglass looks unreal!! I'm really glad you scored it :)

Marty Machine

Thanx Guys for the pos comments, it's all good...

Thanx Nino re: "Contact".

When i remove the contact, should i look towards simply polishing/sealing this playfield with various waxes or clearcoat?? or re-contacting/mylaring it?

Not sure about PF's of this era and what is best for them.

Marty Machine

With regards to the headbox & cabinet....

Is it likely i would just recolour these as WHITE, or a slightly off white? (gottlieb white?)

It's hard to establish if this was snow-white and has discoloured into a beige over time.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Fantastic Marty, aside from a little Ranex on the door, and some Rabid Dog Repairs, , looks fantastic and will come up a treat!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Very Nice PF, plastics look like new, BG looks perfect ...top stuff! Funny how the ebay ad failed to mention that a dog ate the bottom of the cabinet out.

pinballist

Hey guys, I'm just curious, I've never used Ranex, will it really get that rust off the front door?
Does anyone know where to buy it, is it something you can find at Bunnings?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

The contact should be easy to remove using the hair dryer method - Try a test spot first. Check to see if there is any evidence of wear under the contact. What ops used to do is apply contact or mylar AFTER the machine was on route - now if the playfield sustained wear to the point of flaking (or close to), then removing the contact will remove paint. So you need to be careful.

In most cases - it is easy to remove old mylar off EMs, as the mylar is in fact "contact" and the adhesive is not "sticking" any longer. Having said that - Check a test spot first !

"Gottlieb White" - It is closer to an "off white" - semi gloss. Don't use a flat white unless all the paints you are using are flat AND you wish to clearcoat using a semi gloss.

The base is going to be a bit of an issue for you. The wood is easily obtained at bunnings - but you may have to remove the back panel to do it properly. Removal is easy - but re assembly is difficult without the right tools ! You COULD try using thinner wood, and bending it into the grooves of the sides of the cabinet.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Fantastic Marty, aside from a little Ranex on the door, and some Rabid Dog Repairs, , looks fantastic and will come up a treat!
Be carefull of Ranex - will remove chrome if it has been rechromed at a later stage.I use metal magic(Bunnings) with 800 wet and dry paper.
pinballaustralia.com

Marty Machine

"Gottlieb White" - It is closer to an "off white" - semi gloss.

Hi Nino,

Just chasing this up, do you (or anyone) have a colour code or name for an approximate "gottlieb white".
I figure someone has done this before and has probably found a very close shade of white at bunnings known as "........." ??

Anyone ??
MM.

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
Marty,
Good luck with the restoration - Drop A Card is a great game to play. Some real challenging shots to get the top set of cards out.

BTW - I'll get back to you about arranging to pick up the Cleo backglass.
Mark
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.