Author Topic: My First Ever restoration  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Romano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Whyalla; South Australia
Re: My First Ever restoration
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
Excellent work mate!

The shot with you in it - you look a tad frustrated!

Just one question - not a beer bottle in sight - please explain!

Wouldn't of been that long ago that game would of been parted out, or simply thrown out!

Greetings. I dont recall being frustrated, it was a really hot day from memory and I had probably only just got in from the heat outside.

No Beer because I dont drink the stuff... I love a nice cold Chinotto and the good old H2O is the best for the body... breathe in, breathe out, breathe in.....

The guy I bought it from, also ended up selling me Time Zone a year later and then Expressway six months after that. He told me he would never part with Expressway. Never asked him why he did eventually. $1,500.00 for the three in the end.

Sandro.

Offline Romano

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »
I have spent hours just mixing colours to get it right - the way I knew how time was flying was how many times I had to change the record yet still hadn't painted one brush stroke

Ric, if you want to save time; I took my playfields in to a deicated paint store. I got them to mix all the colours for me and they can create a sample-pot size for under $5.00 per colour. Each pot is around 300-350 ml which is more than plenty. Find a Dulux stockist and you will be amazed at the colour range and closeness to which they can mix.

Sandro.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »

Impressive work Sandro, and I agree with other's comments - Fantastic see see the dedication !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »
 @@* excellent work and a game well worth the effort.

Welcome to the High Hand restro club  ^^^.  Here was my effort http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=276.0

Looking at bringing this machine home to finish off soon as a favor.  Stay tuned  *%*

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »
Sandro
Great job,

Offline Romano

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
@@* excellent work and a game well worth the effort.

Welcome to the High Hand restro club  ^^^.  Here was my effort http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=276.0

Looking at bringing this machine home to finish off soon as a favor.  Stay tuned  *%*

Looking forward to it. Well done.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
 $$( So THAT was your first ever restoration.. Do you mean your first ever attempt?? if so GREAT job ^^^ ^^^
I can tell you now my first attempt many years ago didnt look near as good as that.. :lol (my first attempt has since been redone btw  :lol )

What kind of paint did you use for the touchups, ie acrylic, enamel etc??

Enormously well done..

Cheers... Mitch
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:45:37 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
FANTASTIC job mate that looks so good, so the paint you used was just sample pots from a paint store? is that correct.

Ian

Offline Romano

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »
$$( So THAT was your first ever restoration.. Do you mean your first ever attempt?? if so GREAT job ^^^ ^^^
I can tell you now my first attempt many years ago didnt look near as good as that.. :lol (my first attempt has since been redone btw  :lol )

What kind of paint did you use for the touchups, ie acrylic, enamel etc??

Enormously well done..

Cheers... Mitch

Hi Ian,

yes, it was my very first attempt and the paint was acrylic. the top-coat was an automotive clear laquer.

Sandro.

Offline Romano

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
FANTASTIC job mate that looks so good, so the paint you used was just sample pots from a paint store? is that correct.

Ian

Greetings Ian,

For this first attempt I bought top of the range colours from a craft store but matching colours was difficult, especially seeing as I'm colour-blind  :lol, family had to help me a lot there with the mixing. I also did the same for my second restoration which was my "Drop-A-Card".

When I came to do my third "Bowl-O", it was then that I hit on the idea that an actual paint store was the go. Many of them do computer matching these days and so it was identical to the original colour. I took the stripped playfield to them (IT MUST BE STRIPPED) and they were able to match the colours. You see, if they matched the colours on the played areas that have been exposed to light, these colours are dulled. The stripped playfield reveals the colours as they were, because these have never seen the light of day or had a ball roll over them where posts and bumpers have been for instance.

A dulux stockist will have small sample pots that they can mix for you. These are traditionally used for people who are decorating homes that want a sample of what the colour will look like in their house, without having committed to the expense of a full room's worth of paint.

These paints are flat acrylic and the top coat is a clear automotive laquer; this dries very hard but is buffable with an automotive wax before reinstalling all the playfield components. BY THE WAY, I dont spend a single cent on pop-bumper Mylars, even if they are only $1.00 a piece. You will find lots of offices and schools carry old overhead projector plastic sheets that they no longer use and are going to chuck them out. Yep, you guessed it! and $1.00 is 8-10 more #47 light globes for your machine  %$%. You will need to cut them out yourself but its a cinch.

I am really pleased with the way BOWL-O is coming up, over the previous two, using these paints.

Hope this helps.

Sandro.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:38:53 PM by Romano »