Author Topic: WHAT DO YOUR PARTNERS THINK OF YOUR HOBBY?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: WHAT DO YOUR PARTNERS THINK OF YOUR HOBBY?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:39 PM »
Well I have been married to my soul mate for 18 years now and the pins were around before we met.

Penelope doesn't really show and interest but I'm home when working on the games. Our kids like to hang out there so it's all good.

Not once as she ever said anything about me spending so much money on them, I always have my priorities sorted - it's an easy game to play.

So it's all positive here. I often scratch my head when people say 'what does your wife think of your hobby'....the only slight negative I get is if the music is really pumping and it's late at night she suggests maybe the neighbours will get p*ssed off  :lol

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
my wife was upset when i bought the first. Now she's playing them more than i do and is busting my balls about fixing them both up so i can buy some more pins. Top notch!!

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »
Mrs Bossninja17 is quite good about it. She is happy to see me with an interest and she likes the pins. Provided I pay as much attention to her as the pins, life is sweet.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
ENJOYS PLAYING THEM
33 years later, my wife Sindy knew of my attendance at the local pinball haunts back then would eventually resurface & it happened last year. Instead I can play with them at home & she is quite happy about my new found hobby, only problems were the bell ring from the Bally Bazaar backbox (Which I had to disconnect) & the racket from the Jumping Jack score motor continuously running (which I finally fixed). Also found out she was playing the Bally during the day while I am at work & would not let me play it because her high score would be lost, this is why I got the 2 player JJ. Only thing I cant understand is that she does not get as excited as me when the knocker makes that crack.
She will be coming with me at least 1 day of the Expo and she does all my ebay bids.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 12:26:06 AM »

HAPPY WHEN YOUR SELLING NOT WHEN YOUR BUYING

Although that is not entirely 100% true !

There's usually a bit of maneuvering when I've got a train of thought about buying pins, but I usually get my way. Sure, she sees the benefit of the $$$ when I sell a machine, but she knows that everytime I sell one, I want to buy another project. I keeps me ticking. Let's see - I don't smoke, gamble, go to the pub or drink (sometimes). so I have to have SOME form of addiction ?

I think my missus tolerates the pinballs as she sees the passion I have for my hobby.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:58 AM »
My wife sometimes plays them although shes not really interested in them.
I remember when I was going to buy one she said " why do you want another one, you've already got 2" well I've just picked up number 4.
when she mentioned number 4 , I just reminded her of my best mate who owns 9 Toranas. Quote "It could be worse dear" :lol
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 11:07:33 AM »
I remember when I was going to buy one she said " why do you want another one, you've already got 2" well I've just picked up number 4.
when she mentioned number 4 , I just reminded her of my best mate who owns 9 Toranas. Quote "It could be worse dear" :lol

Steve,

How about you p*ss that ugly Lethal Weapon pinball off and make it 5 EMs  *%*

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »

Steve,

How about you p*ss that ugly Lethal Weapon pinball off and make it 5 EMs  *%*
:lol I might do that Tony but I think I'll keep it for a while.
I've got a mate who wants it, he's the one with the Toranas. :lol
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
HELPS OUT WITH THEM-she thinks its a great hobbie, always finds herself holding a wire when I'm trying to solder and laughing when I break something &&

Peter

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »
My wife used to enjoy playing HS2 (she still has all the top scores  @.@) but now we have three young kids very rerely plays them, she can't be bothered learning all the rules for WH20 or TZ so has a bash around occasionally. 
I think she is a bit of a closet player, she enjoys it but doesn't want to show me that she does. And she does have good ball skills  %$%

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »
I'm pretty lucky I think. My missus was the one who wanted to buy a pinball machine. I was just into the arcade stuff but she wanted to buy Getaway and I wasn't going to complain.
Now she just wants me to shut up about them and talk about something else for a change. But what else is there to talk about?
So basically it's all her fault really  %$%
I reckon she plays the machines more than I do, but only because I'm fixing and restoring them most of the time.
I've been told that we can't buy another machine until we get a Lord of the Rings. ^^^ Once again, I ain't complaining.
She does try to reign me in a bit but she says so long as I pay for the machines with my own money (LotR excluded) and we have the room, I can have as many as I want.

She reads the forum sometimes too so.....       "Hello Claire"  $!&
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
Im glad i started this poll getting some great responses keep em coming guys

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
My girl loves em too. We are both compulsive collectors, so she loves anything old. Shes has the standing high score on Skylab and often drags me into the games room for a few games. I consider myself pretty lucky.
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »
Im glad i started this poll getting some great responses keep em coming guys

I am not because it shows that more than 50% of members wives like pins. Its not fair!!! Mine gives me dagger eyes when I try and discuss buying another.
 @@^ lol I cant complain, my little collection makes me happy enough.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »
I voted HAPPY WHEN YOUR SELLING NOT WHEN YOUR BUYING

My good wife does enjoy my hobby, however from time to time she get sick of tripping over things in our garage. Not enough room!!!

I think when I finally get around to building my shed both my wife and family will enjoy our gamesroom for many years to come, as my aracde/pinball machines will be set up properly in one spot and not scattered everywhere.

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.