Author Topic: Michael Shalhoub's Books Sale  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Michael Shalhoub's Books Sale
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
Professional people like michael, mark etc are businessmen and accordingly, always act professionally and are passionate about the hobby and their respective businesses, so they always avoid hassles, like any smart business people, so i understand why michael may choose, not to post on this or the other forum. His books do his talking for him. (but can someone find me a friggin copy of the 1982 to present ? the books cant be read if ya cant bloody buy them) or can someone lend me one for a few weeks. I'll buy anyones spare copy ?)

As for egos and politics, we arent machines, sometimes the passion gets the better of us, and typed english can be interpreted in so many ways, sometimes wrongly.We are just all pin loving guys trying to have a bit of fun.If the forums werent full of different personalities and people, we would all just go to the library,not.  lol

*still waiting for volume 3.  Michael, sell me a book. pls.pretty pls.  !@#  !@#  !@#

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:44:18 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 12:44:27 AM »
Well said mate.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »
So why did he bother to join if he doesn't want to contribute here?  !@#

I guess from your comments you are saying that he thinks this forum is full of politics and BS?

Think this is very unfair. How do you define contribution? Don't think contribution should just be how many posts you make on the forum or how long you spend on it. Michael has helped a number of members of this forum source games that they may not have been able to source otherwise, me included and has directed a number of people to the forum. There aint too many people I hold in as much high regard.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:19:05 AM by tonyt »

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:05:41 AM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 08:09:05 AM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:05:59 AM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
Think this is very unfair. How do you define contribution? Don't think contribution should just be how many posts you make on the forum or how long you spend on it. Michael has helped a number of members of this forum source games that they may not have been able to source otherwise, me included and has directed a number of people to the forum. There aint too many people I hold in as much high regard.

Fair enough but you've missed my point completely. He has become a member of our forum, last visited in July and never made a post. I'm not doubting his contribution at all to the pinball community. In fact, he is undoubtedly the most influential pinball person in Australia. No denying that. I'm questioning why go to the bother of joining this forum if he doesn't want to contribute or lurk even?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:00:07 AM by Creech »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
At expo Michael contributed to this forum by helping to hand out AP flyers and especially making sure that anyone who purchased a pin on the Sunday got a flyer. He also gave the forum a very good plug during the Saturday night dinner.

Every one is different and has their own reasons for the way they do things; it would be fantastic if Michael posted on the forum given his enormous wealth of knowledge, but maybe he prefers to spend his time doing other things rather than hanging out on a pinball forum (inexplicable I know, but it could be true).

I can see your point about why join if you are not going to get involved, but I can understand not posting as well - I am on a couple of mailing lists which I used to contribute to, but don't any more. I still find it interesting to see what is going on, however, so I remain on them. And if someone was bugging him to join maybe he did so to stop the bugging...

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
OK look, it's obvious I'm in the minority on this one so let's just leave it then. No point flogging a dead horse. If you guys believe he is contributing here then so be it. I'm happy if you're happy.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

Fair enough but you've missed my point completely. He has become a member of our forum, last visited in July and never made a post. I'm not doubting his contribution at all to the pinball community. In fact, he is undoubtedly the most influential pinball person in Australia. No denying that. I'm questioning why go to the bother of joining this forum if he doesn't want to contribute or lurk even?

In all honesty - does it really matter?
he joined cos Tony M kept hounding him.. i have done the same and directed him to restore threads... maybe he joined to be able to read threads properly... maybe he joined but then read something that reminded him why he doesnt involve himself in forums.. maybe he joined to just shut Tony M up?
maybe he joined and then saw open discussion about someone that he thought was unfair ( just read this thread).
Maybe...maybe..maybe

At the end of the day... he did join but decided not to post.. that was his choice, anything else is speculation and the whys and wherefores are really none of our business....why is this being discussed anyway???

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »
....why is this being discussed anyway???
Gee I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the fact that we live in a free country and we can generally talk about things we have an opinion about.

If you want a direct answer to your question...I see his wares advertised here all the time. Our sponsors pay for the privilege of advertising their stuff on AP, you included. For some reason he appears to not fall into the same category, yet his products continue to be advertised here. That's all Gavin, nothing more, nothing less. Before you say "others advertise their stuff here all the time", the difference being is that his book sales and machine sales are part of his ongoing commercial concern. i.e. it's more than a hobby to him.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »
I've got Michael's third book (1982 - present) which I bought and had him personally sign at the Expo . They are fantastic books IMO and well worth the $ .

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »
There's always lots of enthusiasm for these books. I have 1-3 (well 3 has been with Nug for ever, might get it back one day). While they are a great source of information and pictures, the writing style left me just looking at the pics and captions. Not sure if these are self-edited, but they sure could have done with some input. That did put me off buying 4 (and truthfully my wife bought me the other 3!!)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »
I read so many interesting sentences in all of the above mentioned posts. i will side with creech just for the hell of it.i like minority's. lol   ^^^

first question, what do u have to do to become "undoubtedly the most influential pinball person in Australia".
dont answer that. i was just wondering who he was influencing ? i just saw the funny side of it. it was like Michael had the ear of the "pinball boss's".
(If you can imagine "pinball combined with the soprano's", it looked great in my head. like a new TV series. lol  :D  :D

and the second funny thing was that u got a "free flyer" if u purchased a pinball machine.
yep, that again, sounded funny. probably one of the most generous offers i have ever heard of. spend 2 grand and get a 5 cent brochure.  !@#
perhaps i didnt see the attractiveness of that offer.

but, from what i hear he is a nice bloke. i actually bought a bugs bunny pinball machine from someone and it had michaels card stapled inside the machine. it took beaky about 10 hrs to fix all the hack repairs inside it. i wish the pinball tech who attempted to fix it had of bought one of michaels books and looked at some of the photos in better detail.  !@#

maybe book 3 was out of stock still. lol  *)*  one day, i will get him to sign my book, if i ever find one !  !^! !^!

ps- only read if u have a sense of humour.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Marty Machine

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »
I'm still trying to buy the 4 books since this was announced last year.

I realise Michael is often O/Seas, but i rarely (never) get a reply, so it's hard to complete a purchase.

Michael recently (last week) replied to me about a machine purchase, but when i mentioned also buying the books i get no reply.
What the???

All i want is to buy some books, can't be that hard  !*!

MM.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »

All i want is to buy some books, can't be that hard  !*!

MM.

How does the cost work out from Amazon these days with the good AUD