Author Topic: Pinball Expo 2010  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Pinball Expo 2010
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
I never thought everyone would get together under one roof, i just hoped it would happen and the main players would be professional enough to use their noggins to get together to make money. It will happen sooner or later. The majority will eventually see the financial sense in it. 

And if it doesnt happen,this hobby/industry will stay small and will eventually fade out. Thats why the future expo's will be a shadow of what they could be.
Could you imagine going to a car show with only 2 car makers present, instead of a dozen ?. It would be a piss poor car show.

The hobby/industry needs lots of new people, lots of mainstream mums n dads n familys to jump into getting a few machines.
It wont happen at a 2 pony horse race.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 12:38:07 AM »
Could you imagine going to a car show with only 2 car makers present, instead of a dozen ?. It would be a piss poor car show.
You mean like V8 Supercars? That's when Touring Car racing died in this country but that's another story...

I take your point about it making financial sense to all of them but since when does logic come into play with this hobby?

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:35 AM »

I would , well Pinball Spare Parts  would be happy to go with or without all those people

i understand why they had a auction last time and see the reasons for this to cover costs , But I feel we need to try and seperate a perosnal auction and a expo .
or maybe make it a free for all on the auction .. let others bring pins in for sale , otherwise I cant see , Bumper  , pinball shed ,pinball sales , pinball warehouse and all pinball machine selling companies turning up , I cant speak for them but last year i was contacted by some and spoke in lengths about this.

but to be fair  the people that put on the event  had to cover costs and had a auction .  I am unsure if the same people are doing it again this year or if you didnt have the auction would it cover costs ?   would enough dealers turn up and pay for stalls ?  its a big question . do you have a auction to cover costs or do you hope to have enough stalls and cover costs ?  the 64 million dollar question .  I dont have a answer sorry ,  

I wish the best who run it and hope they can oneday seperate the 2  and attract thousands of people and all dealers,  till then its the great debait .. auction/expo  or expo/auction  

you must though give credit as they did a expo , no matter how you look at it

just my 2 cents worth , this year  I will try and go check it out , last year we got back on th friday from IPB and doing the deal , expo was on the saturday . auction on sunday , I couldnt make either day .

mark

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
I never thought everyone would get together under one roof, i just hoped it would happen and the main players would be professional enough to use their noggins to get together to make money. It will happen sooner or later. The majority will eventually see the financial sense in it.  

most of us talk  to be honest  I would say all pinball machine sellers talk one way or another
for example  today I spoke to Devons offsider  ,  david at bumper and Ken at pinball warehouse
and even spoke to Bruce at AMD about the next new stern title ....  and the next new LE  version ....

Damien and or I have spoken to all melbourne machine dealers this year

mark

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »
Mark, I know you would be the first bloke to put your hand up for a decent expo with all the companys attending. That was a given.

Getting a few of the others would be the hard part. But, i reckon the best place to get the best expo on the planet would be to hold it in melbourne.

Imagine how good the expo could be if you could get all the people we have both mentioned to attend ?

Imagine all the new mums n dads who might jump into this great hobby n buy a New Stern, or a fully refurbished machine like a Indy Jones, or a Addams etc etc.
I dont think an auction is the way to go. Just well presented new and refurbed machines all lined up, ready to plug n play and sell at reasonable prices.
All sellers could showcase their professionalism and great products.

Now, thats a real expo i reckon. I hope someone makes it happen. No one said the people last year have a monopoly on holding a real successful expo.
MELBOURNE EXPO. That could be a real winner !

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:41 AM »
I believe that there were at least three sellers at the Expo auction. They all seemed to be involved in running the Expo. To me if they want to finish off Expo with an auction then that doesn't bother me, as long as it is open to all dealers who attend! I am sure an interstate dealer would prefer not to have to transport any pins back home.

By the way, I am pretty sure Jose from Capital Pinball sold his thee machines no problem over the course of the weekend, whether he was meant to or not...

The trouble with starting up a Melbourne expo could be dilution of effort. I would prefer to see one well-run well-attended sustainable pinball expo in Australia than two that aren't financially viable and fizzle out after a couple of years.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »
Expo #2 and its the same discussion.

We all have our ideas of what Expo should be and they all differ slightly. fact remains that a handful of people make this happen and to do that they put their hands in their pockets UP FRONT... ive seen the figures and it aint cheap to do this.
Ticket prices for entry are deliberately kept low so it attracts more public to come.
I paid for my stall last year and was glad to have been part of Expo #1, i spoke to that many people that i lost my voice by end of the first day. The stall was pretty cheap considering.
Last year SOME commercial interests saw Expo as a free platform to sell their goods, of course that wasnt going to happen.
There was talk of actually sabotaging Expo by selling machines in the car park outside... it didnt happen, but the word was out.. whether it was serious or not is irrelevant.. some commercial dealers did their best to put the brakes on Expo.
The auction WILL be happening again this year.. its the only way the organisers can GUARANTEE some sort of return on their money

Expo is here.. in Sydney for the moment, when Australian Museum opens, it will be held in QLD.
 Format of Expo will change slightly but the auction remains even if it is unpopular by pinheads, but it seemed that many people still bought pins.. so while some of us may not like it - many did... and there were a few bargains in those auction prices from memory.
Expo is what it is.. and thats up to the organisers.. its their money at stake.
Some may like to see it happen this way, some that way.. its all irrelevant.. its format will be set by those who fork out the $$ and at the end of the day each of us will look back and say that they were either part of it or not.. thats the choice we all have.

If commercial sellers want to be a positive part of Expo then ring Michael or Rian... im quite sure they would be happy to have an extra input of $$ to organise it

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »

The Expo is what it is - and the organizers live in Sydney - so that's why it is held in Sydney.

I'd like to see the Expo move to Melbourne, before going to QLD. There are more Dealers and Spares Business'.

This should never evolve into a state VS State debate - But it would make sense to move it here - even for a trial.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
NSW has stuff-all pinball wise, and we should at least be able to keep this.
 *%*

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »
NSW has stuff-all pinball wise, and we should at least be able to keep this.
 *%*

I agree... its kinda central to those in Melb and those in Brisbane - Sydney is the middle ground so to speak

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »

The Expo is what it is - and the organizers live in Sydney - so that's why it is held in Sydney.

I'd like to see the Expo move to Melbourne, before going to QLD. There are more Dealers and Spares Business'.

This should never evolve into a state VS State debate - But it would make sense to move it here - even for a trial.

Lets organise one for Melbourne guys!!
AUSSIE PINBALL - PINBALL EXPO 2010It had had some discussions before with dealers I think, we just need some dedicated people to get it off the ground  *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »
Its still not a decent expo until ALL the large players are in attendance.

I think it will only become what it should be if all the Melbourne industry gets involved.
Auctioning cheapy poor standard pinball machines at crummy prices isnt a expo. sorry, but thats just my opinion.

Not withstanding the efforts of the sydney fellas, its not really a proper expo until all the big boys attend and display their machines n parts.

There is nothing wrong with competition, MELBOURNE should hold its version. I think once it does, it will get bigger and bigger every year.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »

I think all of understand re the auction and thats fine . people are taking a risk and covering costs of hall hire and advertising   so fine they have to have a auction
I hope that oneday the $5.00 fee and stalls will oneday cover this , but its still upto the people runing it to make money . they cant be expected to do it for free
as for the pins being sold outside  yes  most of us heard this and I was asked to be involved in that I declinded  ( i still have the emails to prove it)  i was later told it was a joke and never going to happen and it didnt.

I dont want a shit fight or to start one . 

bring on the expo/auction  .  go if you want to .  stay for the auction at the end  or leave before it  ,   its upto you . make your own minds up. 
treat it like a AP meet  go have a few games and catch up with other members . 

as for moving it to melbourne  or brisbane  I cant see it , as why would those guys bring the pins to melbourne or brisbane  to have a auction  ??
once the expo  can stand alone then maybe  but still its those guys that have risked it to start it  so shouldnt they have the right to decide ?    to have a expo and auction

I would hope more commericals go , but  sorry cant see it if the same as last year . I am sure we might go for the expo day and have a look , but we are open to discuss anything.  ( I am not trying to sabotage it ) as i said treat it as a meet

mark

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
Cool reply Mark,
personally, seeing as you guys hold more Williams/ bally parts than anyone else in OZ, i would love to see you represented at Expo.
I had a stall last year but have not been invited this year.. but saying that... im not sure any invites have been issued yet...

..Guess we all just wait and see

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »
Lets face it, near impossible to get the main traders under the one roof. Too much shit has transgressed.

Some Pinball traders need to employ public relations employees, a staff member that can offer a fresh welcoming face/be the mouth-piece for the business. Such staffers could attend the expos, and make it possible for competing companies to be under the same roof, for the good of their business, and for the good of the hobby.

Sounds simple, because it is a simple solution.