Author Topic: do people smoke in your pinball room?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: do people smoke in your pinball room?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
Heh heh, if you want to kill yourself by smoking or over-drinking please do it without affecting others...

Unfortunately it is very difficult to achieve this without placing a burden on the hospital system.

Then again, if you over-eat or probably participate in a number of activities you can end up in the same situation, so I guess it is unfair to target the burden on the hospital system. That's why we pay taxes.

Anyway, I don't think I would like anyone smoking in the shed, they can smoke outside.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
While I'm a non smoker (I quit a fair while back can't even remember the date to be honest), I don't mind smoking or drinking around my machines. My machines are 70's and it's part of the culture, tobacco stains on the cab gives character. !^!

Just repainted part of a SM$M cab, and I'm partly relying on tobacco stains and dust to settle into the paint to match the original %.% %.% <.>
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »
There's no smoking in my home, period.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Geez I can remember people smoking on trains, restaurants etc...Heck I even remember when the supermarkets weren't allowed to sell meat after midday Saturday.

I can remember when the front bar was men only in hotels
my mom used to send me in to get my Dad

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »
Heh heh, if you want to kill yourself by smoking or over-drinking please do it without affecting others...

Unfortunately it is very difficult to achieve this without placing a burden on the hospital system.

Then again, if you over-eat or probably participate in a number of activities you can end up in the same situation, so I guess it is unfair to target the burden on the hospital system. That's why we pay taxes.

Anyway, I don't think I would like anyone smoking in the shed, they can smoke outside.
if the government really thought to treat smokers was above the revenue of smoking tax creates they would ban it, at the end of the day us smokers are tax paying machines and the government makes a tonne of cash from us. If anything smokers save you none smokers allot of taxes. You think when the gov wants to get more revenue they increase tax on siggies, wonders what they would tax to death if they banned smoking?

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

if the government really thought to treat smokers was above the revenue of smoking tax creates they would ban it, at the end of the day us smokers are tax paying machines and the government makes a tonne of cash from us. If anything smokers save you none smokers allot of taxes. You think when the gov wants to get more revenue they increase tax on siggies, wonders what they would tax to death if they banned smoking?

+!

and the the Answer- they will simply raise taxes on drinkers
or
now that they are considering making certain drugs legal.............why........... the potential for tax

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
This is what I helped dad do today; politics, smoke, drug, beer and fume free room!
This is the only smoke free room and will hold the most collectable/expencive machines (that fit through the door)
1/4 rooms are now smoke free. In this big house I don't blame dad for not going outside as long as the window stays open... its a 2 minute walk outside! lol

I'll update dads lounge room pics later today or tomorrow for nosey peekers
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
I don't smoke, but I don't tell others to stop smoking. It's their lungs, not mine. Does it clog up Hospitals ? Maybe. But I'd be more worried about Drugs and Alcohol. All three leads to disease. But then again, there are Grandmas that smoke all their lives and they are in their 80's.

Each to their own. No one smokes in my house, there are places outside with ash trays provided. Enjoy life  *%*

I'm off to play pinball and have a couple of beers  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
You cant win..... smoke and die earlier...
Live much longer and die in a nursing home, shaking, demented having your arse wiped.

Both are a drain on the system... looks like old people are to blame then eh?

...Oh.. apart from those who knock off due to a heart attack.. still working... gone suddenly... leave all Super behind
The system and public cannot complain about this group

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
one thing i have aproblem wit his people thinking every body who smokes is a dirty stinky unhygenic filth bag.
It would be like me saying every body who has drink is a wife beating raging alcoholic.
neither are true

And yet smoking is a dirty, stinking, unhygienic and filthy habit, go figure.  !@#

so is drinking do you do that??? you would have more chance of being hit by a drunk driver than you would die from secondhand smoke. im a none drinker let me tell you a dickhead stumbling around all arrogant each and every day is more annoying and worrying than a tiny wiff of smoke.
you dont have a high horse to stand on if you too have a habbit

No High Horses here but for your info, no I don't drink.
I was just pointing out that your argument was a little flawed.
My only habit is a pinball addiction and that doesn't hurt me or slowly kill me or anyone else.
I did try smoking when I was 16 and quickly stopped when I realised how stupid it was and that it damaged my health.
I couldn't see the point of it, knowing how bad it is for you. Guess I wasn't as cool as the other kiddies.

The reason that the Government taxes it so highly is to help pay for all the smoking related medical issues our hospitals have to deal with, and to try and discourage people from doing it.
How much do you think all those Quit Smoking adds cost?
If the Government wants you to do it, why are they drafting legislation to bring in plain packaging to again discourage people.

If you're silly enough to do it knowing what it does to you, then go crazy, just don't do it near me or my machines.  *%*
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »
"The reason that the Government taxes it so highly is to help pay for all the smoking related medical issues our hospitals have to deal with, and to try and discourage people from doing it.
How much do you think all those Quit Smoking adds cost?
If the Government wants you to do it, why are they drafting legislation to bring in plain packaging to again discourage people."

looking at the fed budget of 2010-11
after the 25% increase that was sold as stopping people from smoking and to discourage people from future smoking here are the figures,
$5 billion extra to the federal budget on top of what was already being collected prior to the smoking tax increase.
$27.8 million of that was for anti smoking campaigns and quitline. they also reduced internet advertising for quit smoking in the same budget from the previous year.
where did the rest of that money go? into the budget for spending on other things.
this money is being used on you also.

edit>
i just had another look, as i read some where smoking will cost us $33b from smoking, including social cost to the economy, but i looked again that is the projected outlook over a ten year period starting from 2005.

edit> again, ok ive reread the budget again, and rectified figures..
where i went wrong is i took that increase as annually the projections are actually over 4 years. so the gov makes $25 billion over 4 years after the increase in the 210/11 budget. so over ten years smoking tax makes an estimated $62b. and the cost for smoking and social costs over 10 years is $33b. thought i better rectify that, still a massive profit for the gov.

if you remember correctly the plain packaging was only introduced because of pressure from the greens, and to get it to pass through the senate, the reason for that was because the greens were angry only $27.8 million of the $5b dollars was being spent to actually stop smoking, so they went with plain packaging. N Rocson who was health minister at the time said she was against plain packaging and later changed her mind to push the tax increase through, as prior to that it was seen as a huge moneyy grab for a gov who wasted billions of dollars, in other words smokers saved none smokers from more tax.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:45:18 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
can i please,juyla,have my million back. &^&
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »
Our home's smoke free. I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my games room or anywhere in the house. but it never comes up as an issue. The people in my circle of friends and family just do the right thing by popping outside for a few minutes.

Ultimately it's an individuals choice to smoke or not, but obviously it's not as widely accepted as in the past.

It doesn't worry me if someone chooses to smoke, but a smoker should respect those that don't want to be around it to avoid being exposed to second hand smoking.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Do bongs count..?  Or are we talking about ciggies only..?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »
Our home's smoke free. I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my games room or anywhere in the house. but it never comes up as an issue. The people in my circle of friends and family just do the right thing by popping outside for a few minutes.

Ultimately it's an individuals choice to smoke or not, but obviously it's not as widely accepted as in the past.

It doesn't worry me if someone chooses to smoke, but a smoker should respect those that don't want to be around it to avoid being exposed to second hand smoking.

agree. no smoker should come into your house smoking, im sure 99% do with out even a bit of thought abide by that, and if they dont they arent really your friends imo. my posts arent to say people should smoke around others who dont smoke, i think smoking around children esp indoors is stupid and wrong, smoking in some ones house who isnt a smoker is stupid and disrespectful, im sure every smoker here agrees with that, i do think however people should mind their own business on what others do. and i should say that fella putting his siggy on the glass of studley's pin is way way out of line, not because of the fact he is smoking as such but just out of total respect for some one else's property.
i even smoke out side if i have mates or family who hate the smell of smoke when over for a dinner. unless its a fight night. fight night is fair game lol and my mates understand that rule, esp when im paying for the main event. lol, but there are so many people who over react to just a wiff of smoke in a very open space. and that shits me to tears, in the grand scheme of things its something that should be of very little concern. in an area that is smoke free and some one smokes scream about it al lyou want as that is more than fair to get upset about imo
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:12:44 PM by Olivia_jason »