Author Topic: HAS the Shine worn off & dissapeared somewhat ? Re WOZ ?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
HAS the Shine worn off & dissapeared somewhat ? Re WOZ ?
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
This is a different angle to the other Wizard of OZ thread which is not about production and design, but more about the impact of the machine to the end user or other interested peoples along the way....

Question - regarding the Wizard of OZ machine, because it has been so long, almost 2 years since inception, has the machines production and massive amounts of photos/production processes/updates/forum add ons/questions/ overloads of information etc, has it taken the shine away from the end result of having purchased the WOZ machine, before its even been delivered. ?  !@#

Does the machine feel old already ? before its even been released....has all the surprise been taken away because everyone has seen all of the insides of the machine, plus the specifics of LED lighting etc and even some of the audio and LCD designs/artwork etc.... !@#

With a Stern model, u get little tidbits of info, generally a rumour of the models title, but little else prior to the proper mdeia release just before the machine is fully shown for the first time etc, keeping interest very very high, and when u get to open the brand new in box machine, its all feels new, like u have never met before, and its all very captivating etc ? I find that marketing keeps u guessing, on the edge of your seat...but WOZ had a different start in life, so it was chosen to be done a very different way....rightly or wrongly...did they release too much too early...should they have kept the project secret and just started it...afterall, JJP never doubted his business model or machine from the get go...did he even need the publics approval...Stern never has and they still sell lots...

Does anyone think JJP should have done more betting on it self, designed the game to alot further down the track, got say 70 percent of everything done, then at the last 30 percent called in the public for orders/pre-orders and subsequently kept the surprise n wow factor alot higher ?  !@#

It just seems that the whole surprise factor for the WOZ model is now mostly gone, whereas the upcoming Stern Avengers model is a unknown quality with specualation abound and people are on the edge of their seats wondering what surprises and tech will be in this new Stern Avengers model ?  !@#

Maybe JJP should have kept the whole WOZ project under wraps/secrecy for so much longer since he was so sure about his product and methods etc, but it looked like he may have chosen to hedge his bets which has come at the cost of the product being released feeling like its 2 yrs old already and nothing is now hugely unknown compared to say Sterns way of marketing...which keeps u wondering, versus knowing everything already, before release...

Should JJP have done things differently....has the shine already worn off...is WOZ old news already ?

p.s - theres no right or wrong here, and its not about who is the better company, its about how people now percieve the WOZ product given there are no massive surprises left.....and its a well known topic n has been for over 2 years...Avengers is rumoured, but no one knows a thing.. I see excitement here, versus little left to the imagination with WOZ ?....

Discuss/thoughts/purchasers opinions would be good.  Machine is still going to be great...but what about the anti-climax of it all now, espescially non finished base code models hitting showroom floors....did it just take too long, and do we all know too much already...even though its still along ways off being in peoples homes... !@# !@#

Also, what would u do if u were JJP about the next JJP model...say little, and do what Stern does and keep things well under wraps to keep the hype alot higher... !@# !@#
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:31:16 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:31:26 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
im not sure because i havent ordered one, however when it was first released i hated everything about it, now i recon im sold on the idea, still not the theme but almost everything else above it, after all those pictures in the factory and of the quality cab and a list of features im actually excited about it.
so im going to say i am more excited about it now and hope to play one.

there is allot more discussion of late about WOZ than avengers.

%.%

Sold on a pin that hasn't even been released ? With customers like you, JJP is on a winner.

I think the theme is about as lame as it could be, but i'll reserve my judgement until i can see and play the game in the flesh.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:54:51 PM by RottyGuy »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:31:13 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I had never played an AFM before I bought one last year

Did seing photos and hearing other peoples opinions affect how I much I enjoyed the game once I did get it? Not one bit

Has people who are not buying one, constsantly posting that they hate the theme, been annoying? Yes
that the shipping date is constanly moving further and further away is annoying? Yes

have I been lame with my endles belly acheing about the game not shipping? Yes

Will I still enjoy the game when it eventually arrives,? YES

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
this comment is re the posts before POP bumper petes, (but has it lost any lustre or excitement for u at all Pete ? AFM is different, cause its not new, or not a detailed breakdown of a new format so to speak...)  anyway, i think i get what you said when u posted, more detail would help.lol...

......correct, its not about stern versus JJP etc...(OlivJ and RGuy)

....its about what people feel about WOZ etc and about the lustre wearing off after the whole page of reasons i added on my first introductory post...

also some people may not be sold on it yet, cause forum posts/pics/opinions isnt like the real thing of a play, and to some, that stuff might well n truly be enough for the person to feel they know the game enough already n be sick of it, or have found its shine has already worn of..

focus on the first page of my first post guys if u can please cause it could change the way pinballs are or arent marketed in the future...

to me, i dont think a pinball machine has ever been marketed like WOZ has been done ever before with detailed info at every turn, compared to the other very secret way pinball companies have always done things for the last 30 yrs etc...which way is best and why, shld JJP change its marketing style, should Stern change theirs too,,, should they all change or just follow one way of doing it...

I am wondering what u guys think the WOZ way/experiment has done..and will it be good or bad to help sales figures for the future...to much media versus not enough...so many different opinions can come from this which might change pinball...and how it is marketed in the future...which way appeals to you, a surprising way of learning all of it just on release, or massive amounts of info from day one which i feel gets boring n tiresome....maybe it changes alot if u havent already forked out the $7 grand...maybe u dont want to know if u havent paid out, but do want everything if u have..its all relative n interesting and can change pinballs marketing 4 ever depending on how JJP and Stern go head to head in the future...

Is JJP or Stern wondering how to outdesign and out market the other bloke as well now...its all competitionn...whats the best way...what would you do...

has WOZ lost lustre from too much info too early before release ????   check out the first post i did so the thread heads the right way if there is such a thing...lol   ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:15:04 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Cave, you think too much

There is only one question, "is this game fun?"

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
JJP needed to post consistent and constant slabs of photos and information to keep existing deposit holders happy and to drum up hype within the industry. I think a new pinball company would have to be very arrogant to withhold all information about their first pinball machine and think that upon release the floodgates of buyers would open.

Jacks publicity model is obviously an all out transparancy of their developments. This would take some of the speculation/discussion out of the equation but there is no way around that.

Perhaps for their next model they would have the liberty to keep things under wraps a bit more, once customers and pinball people are confident they will turn out a quality product.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
 @.@
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:30:41 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
im not sure because i havent ordered one, however when it was first released i hated everything about it, now i recon im sold on the idea, still not the theme but almost everything else above it, after all those pictures in the factory and of the quality cab and a list of features im actually excited about it.
so im going to say i am more excited about it now and hope to play one.

there is allot more discussion of late about WOZ than avengers.

Gunna buy one?

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
I'm not a JJP customer. I've been disappointed at the delays, but at the same time, the updates (especially photos) have given me confidence that the product build is far superior than I expected. I still don't like the size of the LCD, or the theme. But the quality of the built is already ahead of my expectations.

If I was a buyer, I would feel comfortable with the delays - although inconvenient, the product will have all the issues worked out. The photos of the bottom cabinet and Jack's latest post on his forum inspires confidence  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I'm not a JJP customer. I've been disappointed at the delays, but at the same time, the updates (especially photos) have given me confidence that the product build is far superior than I expected. I still don't like the size of the LCD, or the theme. But the quality of the built is already ahead of my expectations.

If I was a buyer, I would feel comfortable with the delays - although inconvenient, the product will have all the issues worked out. The photos of the bottom cabinet and Jack's latest post on his forum inspires confidence  ^^^

+1

I learned from BBB and despite all the bashers/critics that the journey was as much fun as the delivery, I enjoyed the wait surprisingly. The difference here is we may see a mainstream maker that lifts the game above the Stern product, and if there is enough demand going forward, and improvement for us all. So while not a customer, I appreciate the JJP efforts.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Gayest looking and sounding pin ever made imo, no amount of hype can change that.
Looks like an absolute snoozefest to play as well, I hope that JJP pick their act up on the next game and make a decent title.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:40:39 AM by Cow Corner »
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Cave, you think too much

There is only one question, "is this game fun?"

and post too much about those thoughts  %$%

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
pinballs generally look to play faster than they actually do on video. Every WOZ vid I have seen shows a really slow playing game.