Author Topic: My Opinion on Pinball Importers.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline mildflame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
My Opinion on Pinball Importers.
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
*Start of Rant*

*You may want to stop reading now*

For the past year or so Pinball prices have dropped A LOT! the value of machines are diminishing because money seekers (With money to start with) can go oversea where pinballs are cheap-Put them in shipping containers-send them over to Australia-Sell them at full Australian price. Leaving them with a large profit margin! I don't mind people doing it for their personal collection because I understand it is much cheaper but selling LOTS of them cheaply in Australia affects the value of Millions of machines that were originally exported for Australia.

Doesn't anyone feel any sympathy for the people that have lost thousands of dollars because of these importers?

I didn't think it was such a bad thing at first! you could actually find the title you wanted to buy and it was cheap, but now the prices of Australian Machines have needed to drop to compensate with the cheap European machines coming onto the land!

Should imported machines be marked so the Aussie pinball market doesn't collapse?
I would say something ridiculous like "Shouldn't importing machines STOP?" but I understand how stupid that sounds!

Am I alone in thinking all this??
Is there anyone that somewhat agrees with me? !@#
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: My Opinion on Pinball Importers.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
Free market
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »
I hear what u are saying. Prices have risen and fallen over the past 5 years many times, and it will continue to do so....

Yes, prices are very low now, and there are a number of reasons for it, incl demand for new Stern machines, and for the first time in a long time, alot of collectors I know are selling one or two older dmd machines to fund a new machine.  Some of these sellers are selling at the same price they bought at 5 years ago, just to get out of the machine, some are selling at the new higher prices which machines rise to after 5 years.

Yes, a flooded market means prices are cheaper, yes a bad government also means people are holding their money as well, reducing demand, but ultimately, like the USA, sooner or later, more and more people will get into pinball from seeing their friends n family get a pinball, and the size of the market will also grow with more newbies owning machines versus experienced collectors just owning more machines. It may take a year or 3, but sooner or later demand will increase again, supply from Europe will eventually dry up (it cant last forever-machine build numbers were finite) and prices will rise. Pinball is just like Real Estate. Buy when low, sell when high....and know when to sit n be very patient.....or be prepared to lose money.

Its painful, I agreee. Welcome to the free enterprise market like Mike says.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:29:11 PM »
this topic has been raised before many times...yes,we feel the pain when are machines are worth a lot less than we paid for them.but the market decides what a machine is worth,not what we paid for them 4-5 years ago.times are changing the dollar is hard to come by,at the moment.importers dedicating their lives to this quick money stream have to eat too.i also feel for those that have given up full time employment to chase the pinball siver dollars.its a mugs game.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »
Prices had grown too high, when that happens, prices then fall

Take a look at most peoples collections, many games have been imported into Australia, hard to close the gate how

If you have a look at the USA, the opposite is happening. Prices for a top 20 game have gone very high
Most people are buying NIB sterns as they are cheaper than a 15 yo Bally/Williams

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »
It all makes sense.  *%*
Happy reading!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Its swings and roundabouts.

Prices have come down and certainly more choice of where to purchase machines from.

The prices commercial dealers were charging (with their high profit margin) 4-5 years ago and continue to do so on eBay is where another problem exists.

The A & B titles are drying up, so collectors are looking for the best 'bang' for their money, hence a slowing market.

Unfortunately many people new to the hobby fall into the trap of being sold over inflated priced machines ('all day long'), where no care is taken on the work and the absolute BARE minimum is done to maximise profit.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
there are a few great things to happen from mass pinball importation....

Nino(Strangeways) - Australian Pinball Restorations - leaves a normal job to chase his dream and he now works fulltime professionally restoring all types of pinball machines to a high level for pinball peoples all over Australia.  ^^^

Tim Reid from Hot Rodded Pins, now fulltime employed in pinball restoration services like Nino.  ^^^

Andrew(Beaky) my good friend, fixes computer boards for pinball machines fulltime as well.  ^^^

and I am sure there are many other examples of guys/members on here who also provide professional services full or part time to supplement their incomes from the love of the silverball....

The mass importation has helped these businesses start n grow, and I reckon the 3 examples I mentioned will be busy for years to come because of it...so thats a great thing....and we have a flourishing forum because of it as well
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
I'd like to see prices drop.

Lots more to add to the collection.

I couldn't sell The Shadow for what I paid, however I've have a $1000's of dollars of fun with it.
So I feel I'm a head.  It is on the market for $350,000 won't sell it any cheaper, (however only paid $3300 for it)

Bring on imports and a stop to the monopoly (not referring to the pin or the board game)

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
there are a few great things to happen from mass pinball importation....

Nino(Strangeways) - Australian Pinball Restorations - leaves a normal job to chase his dream and he now works fulltime professionally restoring all types of pinball machines to a high level for pinball peoples all over Australia.  ^^^

Tim Reid from Hot Rodded Pins, now fulltime employed in pinball restoration services like Nino.  ^^^

Andrew(Beaky) my good friend, fixes computer boards for pinball machines fulltime as well.  ^^^

and I am sure there are many other examples of guys/members on here who also provide professional services full or part time to supplement their incomes from the love of the silverball....

The mass importation has helped these businesses start n grow, and I reckon the 3 examples I mentioned will be busy for years to come because of it...so thats a great thing....and we have a flourishing forum because of it as well

^^^
There have been good things out of the growing popularity of machines and I suppose that wouldn't be at all possible if the prices didn't drop or we had more machines come in which is what's currently happening I suppose!  $#$
Happy reading!

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »
I agree importers have forced prices down but only on like quality games.  I see the issue as being one of quality vs price.  Most of the people buying from ebay from importers are fairly new and don't realise what they are getting.  Unfortunately it is hard to explain to a newb why the same machine can cost up to %50 more because of the work done to it.  They would prefer to get it as cheap as possible and worry about, or not even realise what the cost could be down the track when it needs fixing.  If people took the time to do their research and realise you get what you pay for the price would better reflect the condition.  It just means you need to have a buyer with an understadnig of why they are paying more and patience.

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
I agree importers have forced prices down but only on like quality games.  I see the issue as being one of quality vs price.  Most of the people buying from ebay from importers are fairly new and don't realise what they are getting.  Unfortunately it is hard to explain to a newb why the same machine can cost up to %50 more because of the work done to it.  They would prefer to get it as cheap as possible and worry about, or not even realise what the cost could be down the track when it needs fixing.  If people took the time to do their research and realise you get what you pay for the price would better reflect the condition.  It just means you need to have a buyer with an understadnig of why they are paying more and patience.
Well Said ^^^
Happy reading!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
Free market

Exactly - if an importer has the knowledge and $$$ to buy a container of machines, good luck to him or her.  They are in business to make money, we (hobbyists) are in it for the fun.  If you need to make money or break even on every pin you buy or collect, then you are also in business rather than doing it as a hobby.

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:26 PM »
We live in a global marketplace - that's the reality.
I'm buying books on the internet, delivered to my door for $12.83 each that cost $18 to $24 each in a shop here (or add another $6 for postage).
I'm just happy with my pins, no matter how much their price has risen or fallen.
If I was a pinball investor or had my life savings tied up in them, it might be a different story.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:06 PM »
pinnys for most of us are not meant to be a financial investment. The worth is the pleasure, and satisfaction that you get from owning, restoing, and playing them. They can keep filling Australia up with cheap pins, they have been way overpriced for too long, lets make them affordable for the average family. Good-on guys like Pinball shed, Dirty Daz, Oscar etc