Author Topic: My Opinion on Pinball Importers.  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: My Opinion on Pinball Importers.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »
Container imports or Aussie delivered, for the most part came from the same factory, so what's the fuss.
The fact is there are some different games that just wouldn't be here if not for the container importers.
The deserve any profit they make, I am not going to put $30,000 on the line to bring some in.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:25 PM »

I'm sure some of my games (maybe all of them) have lost "value". But then again, I don't think I have any item here that is worth more than I paid - TV's, cars, furniture - so why should I expect my games to be an investment?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the games are for fun, and most on mine have paid for themselves in fun over the years, so I'm not concerned, and lower prices mean more access to more games - I'll take that as a good trade off for decreases in the value of other games I own.

Sure, it's nice when things are worth more than I paid, but it's a cycle with "collectables" and right now demand is down.

Take a look around the world at real estate prices - nothing is immune from cycles (and watch here in Oz in 2013, we have escaped to a large extent to date, but economic forces are ready to explode.....)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
Youve been paying too much in OZ for years and the excuse has always been thats its an island and difficult to get to ( isnt that the excuse for every rip off we have?).. its all bullshit... you pay too much cos youre prepared to pay too much.
Some of my machines are worth less than i paid for them and some more.. its all relative.
The old " i bought for X so i must get X or more back" is crap... a fool and his money and all that.

They are just games and if you have $$ to splurge then well done you... if you dont then no harm done.. get a cheaper title or dont buy.
All markets go up and down and people just dont have lots of expendable cash anymore.. was a point back there when people lost the value of the $$... bhorrowing against equity to purchase flat screens etc... sheer madness.

Well the free money dried up thank god and most are all too aware how hard it is to get the $$ in and that makes them think twice about letting it go again.

On the plus side.. if you sell a title for less, chances are the next one you pick up will be sold for less also.... roundabouts and swings im afraid

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:17:42 AM »
Good-on guys like Pinball shed, Dirty Daz, Oscar etc

Wrong forum Greg.  This is AP mate not AA.

I have seen absolutely disgraceful machines from each of these retailers that were supposedly shopped and working 100%.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »
Good-on guys like Pinball shed, Dirty Daz, Oscar etc

Wrong forum Greg.  This is AP mate not AA.

I have seen absolutely disgraceful machines from each of these retailers that were supposedly shopped and working 100%.

+1
Buyer Beware!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
Without wanting this thread to denigrate into a sh*tfight (or sh*tstorm if your name is Kevin) I have NEVER seen a machine offered by The Pinball Shed where it was "claimed" the machine had been fully shopped and was perfect.

In fact - the conversations I have overheard made it clear that the machines being looked at were "overhauled - but, please remember, it IS 15 years old"

This all needs to be kept in context and with relation to the simple FACT that these machines ARE OLD!!!!!. 
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »
Without wanting this thread to denigrate into a sh*tfight (or sh*tstorm if your name is Kevin) I have NEVER seen a machine offered by The Pinball Shed where it was "claimed" the machine had been fully shopped and was perfect.

In fact - the conversations I have overheard made it clear that the machines being looked at were "overhauled - but, please remember, it IS 15 years old"

This all needs to be kept in context and with relation to the simple FACT that these machines ARE OLD!!!!!. 
When someone pays an additional $500 to have the machine shopped, I would expect a fairly detailed and good job.  As is normally the case, the machine in question was bought by a newb, his first machine and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't bought another.  He was less than impressed with the product and service he got and I had to agree with him, it was sub-standard.

I understand the machines are old, there isn't a problem with that.  The problem begins when a person pays for a service or product and doesn't get his money's worth.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:33:28 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
if you buy a dud then it is only your self to blame

Yes and no.  It is a bit hard to inspect machines when you live in another state or in the country.  When you believe you are buying a machine from a reputable dealer you would like to think that what they tell you is the truth and you will get what you pay for.

To quote a customer of a Qld dealer, "The feeling I got from the (dealer) was like being treated like a cheap hooker and thrown away at the end of it.  I thought I would have been treated better, but he never seemed to care I'd bought a machine off him or like he wanted to get a return customer." 

Seeing as this thread is slowly going down the poop shoot, I will try to stop adding my 2 cents worth.  Happy to receive PMs to discuss further if needs be.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
Where do you get cheap hookers from these days?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
they are scum they take away sales from STERN, the only true maker of real pinballs in the world
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:33:08 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
Where do you get cheap hookers from these days?

my x wife.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

Most of us will have an opinion (good and bad) on dealers and importers, and I guess given the topic those comments are somewhat on topic to an extent, although the topic is more about pricing issues rather than quality.

Dealers (working out of a shopfront/"factory") will usually be dearer - there are overheads, and none of us here would work for free. It is a trade off, and as mentioned dealers can be a good source of recruits for the hobby.

It's almost a rite of passage to be reamed by a dealer with your first game!! !@)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
Would you buy a used pinball machine from this man?