Author Topic: Why?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Why?
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Why does every pin of late have to be a movie or music theme? Don't get me wrong AC/DC cracker pin but why don't the guys building pins go back to the roots as such and build something the will appeal to a larger group of the pinball public? I'm sure that woz,the hobbit & star trek( if it happens) will be good but I wouldn't hand over my cash for any of those themes. I'd be far more inclined to save my penny's and buy a MM. I just look at some of the non movie/music themes more fondly. What do you think would you like something different?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »

WOZ -  because he already had a WoZ license (redemption games) so was familiar with the theme and the licensing, makes sense.

The Hobbit - No idea, will be arriving well after the movie is history.

AC/DC (or any Stern) - Another no idea - Their "marketing" department is, well, actually, no idea!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline dendoc

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
We had this dicussion in another thread, but generally people are too scared to try original ideas any more. The cash that needs to be outlaid to make a machine or a movie for that matter is so great they don't want to risk something slipping into obscurity. Easy to change a chip in a cabinet game, much harder to change a pinney if no-one plays it.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
Nick, The Hobbit is timed to come out at the same time as the third movie

A licensed theme is an instantly recognizable thing
You see a guy dressed in a school uniform, thrashing a guitar  , and you know it is AC/DC, loud about fun rock
You see a flying saucer with two engines, it is Star Trek
You see a big green balk of muscle, Hulk smash!

All are instantly recognisable brands no matter where in the world you may be

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

Ah, didn't realise there would be three Hobbit films - could understand Lord of the boRings needing the three, but TH was just one book, wasn't it? How are they stretching that out?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »

All manufacturers attempted to create original ideas, with varying degrees of success. Look at some of the GREAT ideas ;

Cirqus Voltaire
Medieval Madness
Cactus Canyon - Rubbish game, but good theme
Junkyard

Go back in time

Paragon
Fathom
Black Knight
Black Hole
Haunted House
Freefall
Solar Fire

Even further

Spirit of 76
Buccaneer
Card Whiz
Surf Champ

Original ideas - No "safe" ideas at all. The most iconic and successful period of pinball rarely had any reference to movies. They were original ideas. That was one of the appealing factors that made pinball part of society. Now, manufacturers like the "safe" titles, but they restrict themselves by doing that.

Movies fans are their target audience.

Whoever has the innovative idea of a completely original theme will not box themselves into a target audience. They would open it up to new markets.

I would buy a Cirqus, Horror or Medieval theme - or at least be interested. I have no interest in Movie pins, but I understand why they are so popular.

I think an original theme centered around Race Cars, Hot Rods or similar would be a big hit.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »

Ah, didn't realise there would be three Hobbit films - could understand Lord of the boRings needing the three, but TH was just one book, wasn't it? How are they stretching that out?

I am not planning on seeing these movies
LOTR was great when the Hobbits were NOT on the screen

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
I'd love to see some original themes come back to pinball too. However I must admit I'll be very interested in the Hobbit pin when it comes out. I'm going to the movie tonight and was a huge fan of the previous LOTR movies. The LOTR pin however was a disappointment for me. I so wanted to like that game but just couldn't.
 At the end of the day whatever the theme, the game just has to capture your imagination and be an enjoyable experiance or your just not going to want to play it anyway.

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
It might be worth giving The Hobbit a go Pete. You never know you might really like it. The movie starts slowly to set up the story but there is a lot of action, good flow to the way the movie is laid out and a bit of humour here and there. The build up of some of the scenes is awesome.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »

All manufacturers attempted to create original ideas, with varying degrees of success. Look at some of the GREAT ideas ;

Cirqus Voltaire
Medieval Madness
Cactus Canyon - Rubbish game, but good theme
Junkyard

Go back in time

Paragon
Fathom
Black Knight
Black Hole
Haunted House
Freefall
Solar Fire

Even further

Spirit of 76
Buccaneer
Card Whiz
Surf Champ

Original ideas - No "safe" ideas at all. The most iconic and successful period of pinball rarely had any reference to movies. They were original ideas. That was one of the appealing factors that made pinball part of society. Now, manufacturers like the "safe" titles, but they restrict themselves by doing that.

Movies fans are their target audience.

Whoever has the innovative idea of a completely original theme will not box themselves into a target audience. They would open it up to new markets.

I would buy a Cirqus, Horror or Medieval theme - or at least be interested. I have no interest in Movie pins, but I understand why they are so popular.

I think an original theme centered around Race Cars, Hot Rods or similar would be a big hit.
+1

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
IT seems lazy to me, like they hope that even if the game play is crap they will still make sales purely on the theme on theback of the movie etc...

I don't think they HAVE to not use a commercial theme but they need to worry more about gameplay than integrating some theme.. JMHO..

That said I like my Indy pin a lot, not for the theme which is slightly sentimental for me, but mainly just the gameplay..
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »
IT seems lazy to me, like they hope that even if the game play is crap they will still make sales purely on the theme on theback of the movie etc...

I don't think they HAVE to not use a commercial theme but they need to worry more about gameplay than integrating some theme.. JMHO..

That said I like my Indy pin a lot, not for the theme which is slightly sentimental for me, but mainly just the gameplay..

Couldn't agree more most modern pins look good but are boring to play

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
Couldn't agree more most modern pins look good but are boring to play

Must admit the only one I have had real decent amount of time with was Ironman and I was getting bored and it just felt, cheap??
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
Licenced themes sort of guarantee sales but its still aimed at the operator market whereas most pinballs these days end up in private collections.
If out and about and you see the latest movie set up as a pinball you are more likely to go and chuck a coin in... well thats the theory anyway. STERN have their own recipe for all this and the basic layouts of artwork etc are repeated over and over which to a pinhead lacks imagination because we have seen it all before.. many times!
Riding the wave of a movie or TV programme has really been the norm since TAF and TZ.. but the sales are yet to be repeated.
Problem with many movie themed games is that they can start to look a bit cheesy after a short amount of time.. im not a fan of big commercial American films, i find them so tedious and so games like Twister have never and will never have any appeal for me.

The cost of a licence wouldnt be cheap but it no doubt is cheaper than having to create artwork... quick snapshot of the actors and you have the PF centre.... movie grab and you have the sling plastics etc... group this together and you have the translite... basic simple stuff.
Aliens, monsters, space, fantasy have nearly always sold well as non themed games... it wouldnt be too hard to come up with some artwork based on these themes and its longevity if done well will be cemented in history.. a zombie pin aimed at adults would be a killer of a game if it was void of any actors faces on it. Would like to see the same team that made Circus Voltaire do this kind of theme. I reckon they could make another timeless piece just like CV

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:20 AM »
+1 on laziness using movie themes. I recall a lot of themed titles in the early 80's like Charlie's angles, a couple of bucks, kiss, Ted nugent etc but yes there were lots of originals.

What I don't understand or should I say I haven't seen any numbers on breakdowns of current pinball sales ie. home to operator sales why movie themes are purely the go. I think this is why I haven't jumped at the opportunity for a new pinball. I enjoy my originals a lot more than my themed ones except for TZ. So if the man market is home users the manufacturers should heavily look at a original concept that will allow for lots of new ideas. I like scifi or horror myself.
Still loving my Metallica Premium