Author Topic: decal tips thread  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Cutting holes for buttons
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
After putting on the decals and it all looking so nice, I was really concerned about cutting out the Start and Extra Ball button holes as these are in full view on the front and will show any stuff ups.  I practised on the leg bolt holes and flipper button holes which would be hidden and this was enough to convince me that doing it freehand would not be the way to go.  I'm sure that people experienced in doing this can get a good finish but it is definitely and art.  To get around the problem, I borrowed my wife's  Fiskars scrapbook cutter and Circular cutting template (http://www.fiskarscraft.eu/products/category/284/ShapeCutting-Tools).  I stuck a square of white decal material (from the edge border of one of the decals) over each button hole to act as a mask once the holes were cut out.  Again I used torches for positioning and clamped the cutting template once I was happy with the positioning. I was pretty pleased with the results, especially for a first attempt.  To finish the holes I went around them with a black paint pen (see below) and then removed the masks. Apart from looking very neat, an advantage of cutting the holes this way is that the cut-out can be made about 1mm back from the edge of the hole which reduces the chance of accidental peeling.