Author Topic: decal tips thread  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Edging decals
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
The last area I wanted to share is finishing off  the edges or seaming.  It's hard to find anything much on the net about this apart from advice to paint your cabinet edges black before you apply the decals and to use a black texta to go over the edges once trimmed.  This I believe leaves the edges  vulnerable to accidental peeling.  The method I used was suggested by Treasure Cove in the US http://www.treasure-cove.net/DecalTips.htm however I used 600 grit wet and dry to bevel the decal edges (see photo's).  As suggested by TC, instead of a texta I used a Testors 2547c black gloss enamel paint pen that I bought through ebay from a US supplier for about AU$10 delivered.  If you haven't used one of these... get one they are fantastic. Before using the paint pen I masked up the bevelled edges to try and keep things looking neat.  I applied two coats of paint with 24 hours between coats.  After removing the masking tape and waiting another 24 hours, I smoothed the enamel paint edges using Novus 3 followed by Novus 1.  The results were fantastic with really smooth sealed edges and corners.  Something I learned from using this method of finishing is that it really isn't worth spraying your edges black before applying the decals.  The paint pen does such a good job you really don't need to bother with anything else.  I would however still spray around the start and extra ball buttons.

Summing up I would say don't be afraid of putting on your decals dry, it really isn't that hard if you do your prep work well, be careful about dust, accurately position the decals and go very slowly.  If you want professional edges, I highly recommend using the method I described.  It will take more time than but you will get a factory like finish to your edges.