Author Topic: The Sure shot redemption.  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Sureshot_Redemption

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
The Sure shot redemption.
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »
Well this is my first pinball, Sure shot, and hopefully not the last! Still learning so excuse my ignorance and lack of technical terms  ::) but anyway very keen to learn. It helps a lot having a boss who knows what hes talking about also.  Don't have a shot of it before i pulled most of the play field apart which is a shame but i started by first removing the plastics and rubbers which had totally deteriorated and most of the posts had cracked. Fortunately the play field is in resonable condition.

When i first got the machine nothing on the play field was working (i.e lights, pop bumpers, sling shots, etc.) i started by cleaning the stepper units in both the cabinet and behind the back glass with metho and a brush. Then unplugged all pins in the cabinet and back glass and cleaned all with a scouring pad. Also emery paper most switches.

The next major thing was to try save the backglass which was starting to lift pretty badly. After reading up on how to save it and some advice from the boss who supplyed me with some triple thick glaze we got to work. I sprayed the back glass then used cling wrap to push down the flaking bits down and hopefully hold it there. it seemed to work well and seems to have saved alot of the backglass. just needs a little touch up.

When we first plugged the machine in nothing would happen except for the machine making a humming noise. By manually switching the start relay we were able to get the lights on the play field running and after cleaning the stepper units also managed to get the all scoring working. The button in the coin door still doesn't work even after cleaning all the pins that when to it. Although the coin op works fine after i removed nearly a dollar worth of 20, 10, f and 1 cent coins! also the on/off button on the bottom of the machine doesn't work so those are things to work at.

Also still no lights in the back glass! has anyone had this problem before? I have tested and replaced all fuses that i can find, all pins have been cleaned, all wires seem to be connected... The scoring unit works and the game play stepper unit works. we are quickly running out of ideas to what it may be  *!@

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: The Sure shot redemption.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »
You have an excellent first up Gottlieb EM....and also excellent to see that the first pin has become 2 with the Solar City in the background.

I would be intertested to see a photo of the front of the backglass now you have sealed it (if not too much trouble).

For the parts you may need for the playfield restoration the PBR is the only place for games of this era.

To give you a rough idea what is available: http://www.pbresource.com/FastDraw.html

Spend some money and it makes your game come to life.

Decals for the score tray can be bought from Pinball Rescue in Australia: http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals.html

Any questions please ask

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »
also excellent to see that the first pin has become 2 with the Solar City in the background.

2 maybe 3 Tony, how 'bout the Surfer/Surf Champ there as well. *%*

Welcome to the forums Sureshot.
Plenty of help here, as well as love for GTB EM's.
cheers Steve.
 %)%
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:21:32 AM »
Welcome, I am sure someone with EM (electromechanical) experience will chime in with some possibilities as to why the lights in the head box aren't working.

That playfield sure does look decent.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
The lights in the head may/should be something simple like a blown fuse - first place to check.

Steve - yeah there are 3 Gottlieb's EMs there  ^^^

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »
The lights in the head may/should be something simple like a blown fuse - first place to check.

Yeah 3 EMs, and in the workplace.  Looks like the company is Camesco Fabrications?

What do you do for a living? Aluminium Fabrication in Coffs Habour?   *%* Looked it up on web  *)*
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:03:27 AM by The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan »
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »

That's a really good start - and you have some nice pins to work on.

How about an intro thread ; http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=2.0

The lights in the headbox will either be a fuse or the connector in the head - there are three of them, so check for loose wires. You can clean the connectors by using a wire brush on the the contacts.

When you switch on the game - does it automatically tilt ?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
There's a minty fresh playfield under that mylar. All them pins are good players  *%*

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
 %)% Very nice  ^^^

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »

Yeah 3 EMs, and in the workplace.  Looks like the company is Camesco Fabrications?

What do you do for a living? Aluminium Fabrication in Coffs Habour?   *%* Looked it up on web  *)*

That is Cameron, who is Big Dog here....different person

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »
That Sure shot will come up Great keep us posted.  Is Cam your boss?

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
Yes Cam is the boss,the 2 other games are my own not sureshot's.He is a 20 Y O 2nd year apprentice  who has shown great genuine interest in the pinballs. I bought this sure shot local and the bug got to him and he asked to buy it from me !!! !!! And *.* NO SURESHOT, NO MORE SALES , for a while :lol. He's keen so please HELP him as I can only help to the best of my knowledge.  Tony I will put a thread on my pinball shed when I start,the concreate is almost done.............cheers cam

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Good work Cam hooked another one in and he will get plenty of help from here  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »
Great looking game, that will clean up like new.  Should be good fun too!

Looking forward to the progress.

Offline Sureshot_Redemption

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 12:04:43 PM »
Yes cameron is my boss. ive watched him restore a few pins now and just couldn't resist getting one of my own. Put another coat of triple thick on the back glass yesterday so it should be well sealed now. Most of the flakes coming of the backglass pressed back down alright. Will have pictures soon.

The lights in the headbox will either be a fuse or the connector in the head - there are three of them, so check for loose wires. You can clean the connectors by using a wire brush on the the contacts.

When you switch on the game - does it automatically tilt ?

Ive cleaned all the connectors and tested all the fuses i could find. there were five fuses i could find throughout the machine. Two of them were blow but even after replacing them it didnt solve the problem. As soon as the game is plugged in it seems to tilt i.e not lights scoring on the play field. Checked all tilt mechanisms and they seem fine. Will check all wires to see if some have come loose but none seem to be missing.

Thanks for all the help so far and the kind words guys  ^^^