Author Topic: Genie back from the dead  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Genie back from the dead
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »
Okay, moving down the pf a bit, next to be repaired was the bonus inserts area, in particular the wear in the bonus multiplier area.

First i did the black, building it up in several coats to fill the wear, then block sanded it back level. I used automotive acrylic (spray can) for this.

Next I did the light blue/aqua colour. I used my Trident paints for this, mixed the colour as close as i could get it, masked off the circles with some Frisket and airbrushed the colour in.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »
At this point in time i'm almost done  #*#

Just a few minor touchups to be done, in particular i need to check and redo the black around the inserts as needed to make sure the black isn't see through anywhere, i'll shine a light up from underneath to check this. If i dont check this now the inserts will look like SHIT when lit if the edges aren"t blacked out properly!

Once thats done the mylar can go on!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
Great work on the touch ups  ^^^

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
Hi all
I went over to Mitches today to look at Genie      Its looking good and there sure is  some work in it   Its nice and flat  ( level )   so the ball wont catch on sunken inserts

Its such a classic old game and it will look as good as the day it was made     if not better #*#    Great work       Howzat       

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi all
I went over to Mitches today to look at Genie      Its looking good and there sure is  some work in it   Its nice and flat  ( level )   so the ball wont catch on sunken inserts

Its such a classic old game and it will look as good as the day it was made     if not better #*#    Great work       Howzat       

One of the best looking machines of its era IMO and a great player too. You must be looking forward to getting it back in the line up. Especially with all the work put in,  it just looks fantastic.
Me, jealous?.... Yes !@)  Well done though and enjoy @@*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
Touchups are done and the mylar is on  #*#

some pics;

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
A few more for now..

Now i can start the reassembly  $#$

I have a heap of metal parts in the tumbler as i write this, but in the mean time i can start cutting the mylar where the posts etc screw down onto the pf surface

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »
Very nice finish Mitch.

How do you cut the circles around the posts ? I recall my Dad used a round "press" with a sharp tip. It was the exact diameter. This was pushed and turned to cut the mylar, and then the remaining circle was removed with an exacto. Always a "clean" circle.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
Really nice job  ^^^ Mylar cops a bagging by some people, I think it is great stuff as look at all the great games it has save over the years
Old mylar can be polished really nicely too!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
Really nice job  ^^^ Mylar cops a bagging by some people, I think it is great stuff as look at all the great games it has save over the years

I was one of those who used to give mylar a bagging ONLY because I hate removing it from machines ! But the HUGE advantage is that in many cases, a perfect playfield can be revealed ! I think there is a place for mylar on EMs and early SS machines. Clearcoats speed up the older games and they don't play right from some I've seen.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
Cheers guys  ^^^

Very nice finish Mitch.

How do you cut the circles around the posts ? I recall my Dad used a round "press" with a sharp tip. It was the exact diameter. This was pushed and turned to cut the mylar, and then the remaining circle was removed with an exacto. Always a "clean" circle.

Nino, i just use an exacto knife, i'll often screw a post down lightly and cut around the post approx 1mm bigger than the diameter of the post, then remove the post and then lift the circle of mylar. Sometimes though it can lift a little paint with it, which usually can be touched up with a fine brush and the correct colour no problem. I can usually cut the holes pretty neat, its a little time consuming to do though.

The cutter your dad used sounds like a much easier idea than the way i do it! I might have to see if i can devise something similar  *%*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:32 PM »

I was one of those who used to give mylar a bagging ONLY because I hate removing it from machines ! But the HUGE advantage is that in many cases, a perfect playfield can be revealed ! I think there is a place for mylar on EMs and early SS machines. Clearcoats speed up the older games and they don't play right from some I've seen.

Yep - have to agree on both counts. Ill be one of the first to bag out Mylar, but when i was looking at a game today i thought, thank god that bits covered in Mylar as it saved me a lot of work.
The removal can be an issue unless done correctly and very often, what the mylar saved is completely lost again with its removal.. a saviour and a killer in one.
The finish on that PF though looks really good and i like what i see.... the work youve done is top notch Mitch.. PF looks bloody great mate.. ^^^ ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »
PF looks fantastic Mitch  ^^^ Great job !
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.. muchly appreciated  ^^^ especially from Gav and Nino coz i know they dont like mylar (or at least don't like removing it as you both stated.. neither do i really and i can totally understand what you both mean!), Im really glad there wasn't any to remove from this pf.

I'm actually thinking now of getting into clearcoating PFs since i'm buying a compressor and spraygun setup soon, will be a long ways off before i'll attempt a CC on a PF though so you will be seeing a few more mylared PFs from me (i'd be doing a LOT of trial runs first) *%* I'll be moving away from spraycans for cab repaints once i have the compressor.

As usual with this PF there are a couple of bits i'm not entirely happy with (i'm a perfectionist by nature and also my own worst critic!), only minor imperfections but enough to bug me a little bit that most people would never notice. Ian will love it i'm sure so that is all that matters!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:34:37 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
Great job, looks very nice  ^^^