Author Topic: Genie back from the dead  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Genie back from the dead
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
Reassembly has begun!!

While all of the screws, metal posts and guides were in the tumbler, i decided to repaint the top arch, as it had rust starting to form under the existing paint.
I stripped it back to bare metal then hit it with some primer/filler. After that had dried and had been wet sanded with 400 wet/dry, i wiped it down with Prepsol and cloth then sprayed with some yellow acrylic.

The paint used was Power Plus spray acrylic, i think the colour was called Vivid Yellow and was a pretty close match the original colour.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:34:29 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »
The bumper mechs were stripped and cleaned and rebuilt ready to go back onto the pf when the time came. One of the diodes on the coils was cracked so all three were replaced.

All of the screws and posts, wire guides etc went thru the tumbler, 2nd pic shows the parts after they came out of the tumbler. The metal bumper brackets were tumble polished as well.

The stainless guides in the 3rd pic looked to  have been polished and not grained so i gave them a light wet sand with 800 grit wet/dry and Windex then polished them with Autosol.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:43:43 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »
More reassembly pics; The spinner and targets were touched up as needed and mylared to protect them. They look much better in person, the camera flash shows up the touchups a bit on the bullseye target..  @.@ In normal light it looks fine.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:51:22 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:46 AM »
One last pic for now.. lower playfield.

Some of the plastics need to be flattened, hence why they aren't all fitted yet. The ones that i have on in these pics are nice n flat already so i decided to fit them.

This evening i removed and completely stripped the flipper mechs, cleaned off the tons of greasy crap that they were covered in!! and are in the tumbler as i type this.. they should be nice n shiney in the morning and ready to be rebuilt  *%*

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
Genie is getting the full treatment  $#$ It will be better than new       Im looking fwd to getting it back      Howzat

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
Hi all, time for a quick update.

I've been spending some time working on flipper mechs. The top flippers had some really crappy wiring done on the EOS switches, someone was too lazy to replace the wires so they just whacked in a few screw terminals to join the switches to the coils  *!@ *!@

Anyway i removed everything, cleaned and put all the pieces into the tumbler to polish them up a bit while i worked on lamp sockets etc.

1st couple of pics show the dodgey brothers wiring to the top flipper EOS switches  :lol
3rd pic, flippers reassembled, EOS wiring replaced, new coil sleeves, and new hand fabricated flipper linkages.
4th pic main flipper mechs being reassembled.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
A few more pics.. main flipper mechs reinstalled onto the pf.

Yesterday I received the last few parts i needed from RTBB to finish off the pf.. including new EOS switches for these mechs  #*#
The original setup has the extra set of contacts that operate the top flippers, so i used a set of NEW modified Gtb flipper button switches to replace the stuffed originals (2nd and 3rd pics).

Also the bumpers have been rebuilt.. again the brackets etc were polished in the tumbler, new coil sleeves and bumper skirts etc.

As part of the deal, Ian received what look like new bumper caps and replacement drop targets when he bought the game, the caps finish the bumpers off nicely, the bumper bodies are in pretty nice shape so they weren't replaced.

Next on the 'to do' list is the drop target rebuild, finish repairing the lamp sockets and to flatten the rest of the plastics.. wont be too much longer and Ian can have the pf back!!  *%*
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:36:34 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:21 AM »
Well finally the Genie pf is COMPLETE  $#$ $#$

Over the weekend i got all of the lamp sockets repaired, then started on the drop target banks rebuild.. starting with the 4 bank of yellow targets

1st pic the rebuilt 4 target mech.. didnt get any before pics but you can get an idea of how it looked before by looking at the 7 target bank before pic  :D

They were completely dismantled, the parts soaked in Windex then scrubbed with a toothbrush. Most of the smaller pieces were polished in the tumbler, the larger pieces, backing plates etc were hand polished with a little a Autosol and cloth before being reassembled. The targets were replaced with the spare ones Ian was given with the game when he bought it, i picked the best looking ones to install, touched up the markings as needed and applied mylar over the target faces to protect them from wear.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »
More pics;

The apron was in really nice shape luckily, but i did repaint the top edge where the ball runs, as it had a few wear marks from when the ball drains thru the outlanes. I had some yellow auto acrylic on hand which matched the apron colour really well, so that is what i used...

3rd pic, the ball trough components polished and reinstalled..

And finally a pic of the completed playfield with all of the plastics that i flattened, polished and refitted tonight  #*# The metal acorn nuts were polished in the tumbler when i did the rest of the pf screws etc.. i just had to pick the corncob out of them before i could screw them on  @.@

Its now loaded into my car and is on its way back to Ian's tomorrow  *%*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »
Some more pics.. i havent fitted the apron as yet, as the pf was still in the jig when i loaded it into the car, and the clamps were in the way so it'll be fitted tomorrow when the pf goes back into the cabinet.

I still have to print some new instruction cards too  *%* *%*

Will add some more pics probably tomorrow after the pf is back in the cab!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:48 AM »

Looking great, Mitch. A lot of work goes into this title, but it is a GREAT player when done  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Great job Mitch ! Lots of attention to detail
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2013, 01:11:44 AM »
Nice Job Looks better than new . Im sure the owner will be happy, Did you clearcoat playfield or waxed? One other thing the target banks and other metal parts came up beautiful, I must get a tumbler, What size would you recommend?
One-Ball!

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
Hey Guys   Ive got Genie back and its beautiful ^^^   As you look through the thread you can see the great work Mitch has done

The Mylar will protect the P/F for ever and it makes it shine     With everthing working 100% its a classic old game

Mitch is going to do the B/g and im sure he will post pics    it will complete the game      I carnt wait  $#$       Howzat

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
Hey Guys   Ive got Genie back and its beautiful ^^^   As you look through the thread you can see the great work Mitch has done

The Mylar will protect the P/F for ever and it makes it shine     With everthing working 100% its a classic old game

Mitch is going to do the B/g and im sure he will post pics    it will complete the game      I carnt wait  $#$       Howzat

That's great to hear, its a fantastic game and I imagine a great addition to your collection, it's a classic for sure!  The pictures have looked excellent and I bet you've been hanging out to get it back.
Well done to you and great work Mitch.  ^^^