Author Topic: Em flippers making 'grinding' noise  (Read 392 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Em flippers making 'grinding' noise
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »
On the PBR page http://www.pbresource.com/signatur.html he says it's the same stop for AC and DC flippers.
I assume these are the ones he supplies in his kits.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »
Quote from Clay...

Another hold style coil (though not a relay) are the flipper coils. If the player holds in a flipper button and the coils make a loud buzz, this can be often be fixed by replacing the coil stop. The coil stops on EM coils are slightly magnetic. This minimized the problem with the 60 cycles per second AC vibration.

I would take that to mean that the stops on an SS machine to not "slightly magnetic"?

Plot thickens...
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
Half the fun of owning an EM is learning how to keep them going.
The other half is the joy of playing them.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
I have no idea, a mystery indeed  !@# ... I have a few SS coil stops on my desk now and they do not appear to be magnetic at all. Only EM ones are in machines so I can't readily tell.

It might be worth mentioning that there are a few EMs that use DC for coils, so it's not strictly an EM v SS thing, it's an AC v DC thing, but that's a side issue.

What PBR says is ....

"Coil stops for Williams/Bally games for 20 years were different parts for AC and DC coils. They were also a common part that had to be replaced due to wear. These were found in pinball machines from the 60's to the 80's. The Pinball Resource re-engineered a single coil stop (one for Williams and one for Bally's) for both AC and DC coils. The support bracket was strengthened by increasing the metal thickness, a copper sleeve was added, thicker cap, longer shafts, etc... The picture to the left shows the parts you receive from us!

Williams Coil Stop AC/DC WLL-A8143+ $4.50ea

Bally Coil Stop AC/DC BLY-A613-67+ $4.50ea"

I assume the copper sleeve mentioned above is what makes them non magnetic?  When you look at the SS ones it looks like there is a thin non ferrous metal layer, like a washer, under the base of the main stop.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
I just checked the coil stops in my Williams Lady Luck .. had put a new full kit in it from PBR . The coil stops are the same as the other new Williams ones I bought from PBR a while ago. Swapped the right one with a new one and almost no buzz now (also slightly adjusted EOS gap ). The left one was almost falling out .. must have lost a screw  !@# .. Swapped it anyway and the buzz is still there but about 50% of what it was . Don't have time to fiddle with it any more at the moment.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$