Author Topic: Centaur magnet  (Read 184 times)

Offline unclerhesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Centaur magnet
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get a "release orbs magnet" for a Centaur?

It goes in the upper right PF behind the red target and holds the ball momentarily while activating multiball

Thanks!

Cheers
Mike

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Centaur magnet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »
Hey Mike,

The only magnet I could find in the manual is part # E-184-284

It seems to be a fairly unique magnet assembly for Centaur which is a bit of a problem..

A quick search on RGP failed to locate any of the usual suspects..

My first suggestion is to try PBR (http://www.pbresource.com).
IF that fails try Marco Spec or Bay Area but I wouldn't be too confident.

If all else fails, PM me as I have a contact going overseas soon who may have access to some parts...

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »
Surely it must be possible to make one of these?? Its just an electromagnet after all.
I have a Centaur, but not the manual... ill have a look at mine... cant be that hard to make one... can it??? !@#

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
Surely it must be possible to make one of these?? Its just an electromagnet after all.

I agree, do you have the old one and it's stuffed?  If so it's probably just the coil burnt out, so try to measure the diameter of the coil wire, a plastic cheapie vernier will do and places like Jaycar sell enamelled coil winding wire, get as close as you can to the same size and wind the same number of turns.

Or a substitute for a similar functioning magnet - maybe like BK magna saves or Gorgar's pit trap which are probably more available?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:16:52 PM »

I agree, do you have the old one and it's stuffed?  If so it's probably just the coil burnt out, so try to measure the diameter of the coil wire, a plastic cheapie vernier will do and places like Jaycar sell enamelled coil winding wire, get as close as you can to the same size and wind the same number of turns.

Or a substitute for a similar functioning magnet - maybe like BK magna saves or Gorgar's pit trap which are probably more available?

From the quick bit of reading I did on RGP - it seems that this has been tried before.  If I recall correctly, the original magnet measured 51ohms and no others even came close...

Maybe if Gav can check his to confirm this?