Author Topic: Are all flipper buttons equal?  (Read 384 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Are all flipper buttons equal?
« on: November 22, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
Hello to everyone,

As my last project is nearing to and end (and will be searching for a new one soon!) just refining a few things on my LAH.  My question to all the pin gurus out there (which is just about everyone on this site!) is are all flipper buttons the same? 

The reason I ask is I generally replace them as soon as I get a new pin (the boss prefers new buttons!)...However when playing the LAH (which is fast becoming my favourite) when those crazy 6 multiballs are going and you're absolutely hammering on the buttons I noticed the new ones are a bit notchy and I dont know whether it is the spring or not...

I know the buttons on my D.E Simpsons have a different feel as they have a microswitch rather than leaf...But I cleaned the original (well what they came with) ones from the LAH - which don't have springs and they have a much nicer feel...

I guess it is a personal thing but I would be interested as to other peoples opinions / experiences with this - given that it is what connects you to the flippers I would be happy to pay for the rolls royce of flipper buttons but again I don't know if this exists..??    #$#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Are all flipper buttons equal?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »

General rule of thumb - When replacing the flipper Kit, replace the leaf switches on the cabinet. I'm "old school", and the current path for the older games is through the switches which get dirty / pitted / worn over time.

I also replace the buttons - but that is more for looks.. But it can make a difference !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Are all flipper buttons equal?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
 ::)
Yep, thats one thing which I didn't do when I overhauled the flippers.....Will order some now.....

However there is an absolute difference between the buttons - and I must say the ones without springs are much better.

According to the d/l manual I've got the l/h/s switch is 180-5048-01 and the r/h/s switch is 180-5122-00 (which is a double).

When googling the 180-5048-01 is listed as stern (single) and the 180-5122-00 (double) is D.E.  The double is definately NOT in the machine at present.  It looks like 2 x 180-5048-01..

What is the requirement for the double on the r/h/s??
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:12:21 PM by MartyJ »