Author Topic: Who is your all time favourite pinball designer ?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Who is your all time favourite pinball designer ?
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:11:55 AM »
........WHO IS YOUR alltime favourite pinball designer & which game made you feel that way or represents the best of that designers attributes ?

Do u collect that designers titles or is there a special game you are still hoping to get one day that your favourite designer did.  (there are of course no right or wrong answers cause we all like different styles of pins).
Would anyone like to pay homage to their favourite pinball designer or pin designers ?
If you had to chose one to reign supreme who would it be ?

.......MY ANSWERS -

FAVOURITE DESIGNER -
* John Borg aka "The Genius" - I have prob about 15 of his titles.

The pin that best features the designers style to me -
* X Men Pro (which plays so much better than the LE (IMHO)
(Surprisingly cause the flow is amazing & it's super fast with a great layout & the pop bumpers are uniquely placed down low & this game has the best use of wild fast magnets I have ever had on any pinny ever & artwork beats all others of Borgys because of Cabinet art & Translite Art being so very cool) Top playfield flipper placement and shots u can get & fastest round the world shot plus amazing Playfield toys on this 2013 game keep bringing me back to play it.

WHY IS THAT DESIGNER YOUR PICK -
* Johns flow & use of Pop bumpers & his use of magnets on all games he designs.
Johns ability to design so many good pins per year one after the other, year after year.
The only games I didn't like we're Sterns cost cutting Avatar & Transformers but he had to work to a no frills budget probably against his wishes.

I feel for my tastes, Borgy beats The King Steve Ritchie out for Number 1 spot by 10 points to 9 so to speak.

WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE DESIGNER etc  ? ? ? Keep it fun.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:29:26 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline McKie1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Who is your all time favourite pinball designer ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »
Although we don't really have a fav, it appears as though our collection does :)

A few Gomez and Jpop designs.

Again not sure if some underlying reason, probably more so coincidence :)

Good topic Brett

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
Steve Richie for sure-my favourite modern game is ACDC just love the speed and flow.  Also enjoy some of his older games to-he's been around for ever but the mans still pumping out great games. Hope to meet him in October :)

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:39:14 AM »
John Borg as well - X-Men LE is my favourite game that I own.  Transformers was designed by George Gomez, not John Borg.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Steve Ritchie for sure.
He did inovative stuff in the early 1980s which kept pinball alive.
His games are challenging and frustrating to make you come back over and over again.
The flow is smooth and seamless to make the game enjoyable.
He lives and breathes punball. The SUPERMAN of pinball.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
I didn't know Mr Richie was a New Zealander designing punball machines. You learn something every day.   %.%

I don't have a fav designer or should I saw I don't go out of my way to seek out a designers game. I buy games that I think I'd like. Richie I suppose stands out but I like aspects of Gomez, jpop, lawler etc
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
When I look back I have always enjoyed Trudeau and Nordman games, and don't mind Borg as well.

Really enjoy most Trudeau games and respect that he likes to mix it up a little with his designs - some aren't always great but and I like how he does slightly wider spaced flippers to nearly all other designers.

Love my creech, looking forward to Ghostbusters, miss  the whitewater and ironman and I really liked gomez's Monsterbash
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 12:32:40 PM »
Modern designer don't hold a candle to the forefathers of pinball design. My favorite designers all worked during a period where there was tough competition amongst manufacturers and in any given year, 20 titles would be the norm.

These are my favorite designers ;

Ed Krynski (Gottlieb) is the greatest pinball designer of all time. He designed well over 200 titles across 20 years at Gottlieb. Here's just some of the legendary tables - Spirit of 76, Jacks Open, Bronco, Surf Chanp Buccaneer, Royal Flush. Ed Dorado, Sky Jump, Flying Carpet, Pop-a-card, Snow Queen, King of Diamonds, Dancing Lady, Crosstown. SYS80 - Joker Poker, Countdown, Genie...

Wayne Neyens (Gottlieb) - Ed Krynski's partner in crime at Gottlieb. 37 years as a designer across 150 games - Spirit of 76, Mermaid, Mystic Marvel, Southern Belle, World Champ, Rocket Ship, Dancing Doll, Fashion Show, World Fair, Gigi, North Star, Buccaroo

Greg Kmiec (Bally) - Designed my favorite game - Paragon, and designed other games in the "Golden Era" - Wizard, Old Chicago, Alladin's Castle, Captain Fantastic, Night Rider, Power Play, $6 Man, Xenon,

Jim Patla (Bally) - El Toro, Hi-Lo Ace, Twin Win, Sky Kings, Boomerang, Air Aces, Mata Hari, Playboy, KISS, Space Invaders, Viking, Centaur, truck stop, EATPM

Steve Kordek - (Williams) - His career spanned 30 years - Space Ship, Big Deal, Beat Time, Shangri La, Zodiac, Honey, Winner, Space Mission

John Trudeau (Gottlieb) - Learnt from the masters at Gottlieb - Rocky, Spirit, Genesis, Robo Wars, Black Rose, CFTBL

Steve Richie - (Williams) - Flash, Superman, Firepower, Black Knight, T2, ST TNG, T3

Most of my collection is based from late 70's to mid 80's. Ed Kynski Gottliebs and Greg Kmiec and Jim Patla Ballys and John Trudeau Gottliebs.

No modern designer (except Trudeau and Steve Ritchie) are even in the same galaxy as the old timers. Trudeau is my favorite modern day designer as a lot of his designs use the same principle as he used to do at Gottlieb - at least attempt to innovate or bring something new to the table. When I see how brilliant Rocky or Spirit is, you can see that kind of influence on CFTBL, WWE and now Ghostbusters.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 03:20:21 PM »
Don't have a favourite designer, they have all made good and bad games.
I find the code is just as important as the design and in many ways it is more important than the design.

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 03:40:01 PM »
Trudeau is my favorite modern day designer as a lot of his designs use the same principle as he used to do at Gottlieb - at least attempt to innovate or bring something new to the table. When I see how brilliant Rocky or Spirit is, you can see that kind of influence on CFTBL, WWE and now Ghostbusters.

Always fun watching people play Rocky for the first time. With the 4 flippers down the bottom and three flipper buttons, you can see it confuses them no end. Incorporating the slings as a boxing ring was very clever as well.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
Don't have a favourite designer, they have all made good and bad games.
I find the code is just as important as the design and in many ways it is more important than the design.

+1. Design is worthless without completed code. Any machine is little more than a colourful paperweight/jukebox without it.

Everyone gets so hung up on this obsession with who is designing ("oooh its a Borgy pin definately buying now,lolololol") rather than assessing the design itself on its own merits.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:05:32 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 11:38:11 PM »
 !*!y
John Borg as well - X-Men LE is my favourite game that I own.  Transformers was designed by George Gomez, not John Borg.

Yes, my mistake. You are correct.
I thought they worked on it together but Borgy didn't do this one.
Gomez has a unusual style to his games.

Regarding Borgy for me, I didn't realise I had so many of his designs until one day I just thought I would do a list of the games I have, and group the titles by the designer.
It was then I realised Borgys name kept appearing again & again.

So I then printed off a list of every game he has ever designed & thought I would investigate & study those games to see what they are like & if I like that title & what sort of money etc etc.

To put it in perspective, if you had a collection of just Steve Ritchies pins or Borgys stuff just for arguments sake, I don't think anyone playing all of them would have anything but a great time.

Another interesting thing is if you like pins like Nino does prior to DMD, it opens up a whole new world to designers I haven't really learnt much about.

I wionder who would reign supreme if u added up all the titles ever produced and then sold , as to who would win by that designer over their career.

Say one winner for 1950 to 1970.
Say one winner for 1970 to 1990.
Say one winner for 1990 to 2015.

I would like to know who is the winner for any game with a DMD display onwards.
Data Easts TMNT had the first very thin DMD with animations  etc for them from memory so I mention this title to include any size of DMD with graphics plus alpha numerical etc, not just the DMD style and size we see today.

Might sit down & study IPDB for the DMD stuff but it gets hard & goes nowhere fast when Stern stopped listing total sales numbers so the DMD category might run from apx 1990 to 2004 or something and not include anything in the last ten years.

I am thinking Borgy would win the DMD sales race so to speak on sheer numbers of titles designed. ? ?

It is great to see so many people have different designers as their favourite.
One name you barely ever see is a guy called Ward Pemberton who designed Gilligans Island  for Bally.
I like watching that factory promo video he did for Gilligans.
I enjoy playing it & it's a really straight forward fun design but had some great thinking for easy service in its design.
After Gilligans, I have not seen or heard of designer Ward Pemberton again.

Are there any one hit wonders who came into the industry, did one or two great titles, then dissapeared off to who knows ?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:08:19 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:38 AM »
To be honest I've never taken much notice of who's been responsible for the rules on games but as far as pinball art design goes then by far and away my favourite designer is Gordon Morison. Gordon was responsible for the art packages on over 150 Gottlieb machines mainly though the 70' but also into the 80's If you are unfamiliar with his work then look him up, it's well worth it. Centigrade 37, Asteroid Annie, Genie. Count-down, Gemini and Neptune are just some of my favourites.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 03:31:10 AM »
Ward Pemberton died of complications attributed to AIDS. This is undocumented and I enquiried about him to a family connection in my research. He made some innovative and quirky designs - Dungeons and Dragons, Mousin Around and Gilligans was unique - Goldeneye, his last was very well incorporated with the movie.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 03:36:48 AM »
To be honest I've never taken much notice of who's been responsible for the rules on games but as far as pinball art design goes then by far and away my favourite designer is Gordon Morison. Gordon was responsible for the art packages on over 150 Gottlieb machines mainly though the 70' but also into the 80's If you are unfamiliar with his work then look him up, it's well worth it. Centigrade 37, Asteroid Annie, Genie. Count-down, Gemini and Neptune are just some of my favourites.

After Gordon passed his family discovered he had a NOS backglass of every backglass he did art for - some doubles. Having little respect for his talents and lack of clue about value and provenance, what did they do with them all? - threw em all away in the skip.