Author Topic: HELP - Gottlieb Volley must be finished by 14th April  (Read 5563 times)

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Re: HELP - Gottlieb Volley must be finished by 14th April
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Here's the paint info from the tin. This is what I use for Gottliebs of that era:

Dulux Super Enamel - Semi gloss
Colour - Icing sugar (British Paints Colour Wall 2006)
EE  OY 2N
XX  OY 4N

Fairly sure HOLD RELAY A9736 would be what you need.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:05:29 PM by oldpins »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »
Thanks heaps for that Greg  ^^^
So do you have access to a vinyl cutter?  I think there would be a market for those drop target decals I'll get you to reproduce.
I'll send an actual Drop Target to you so you can get an exact match  *%*

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
Question 7.

Do I need to sand right back to bare timber or just get smooth then apply primer then white base coat.
Reason I ask is, I wondered how well the 34 year old original paint adhears as a base for new paint??

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
Matt, if you want paint and colours matched/mixed, let me know. My brother manages a local auto paint supply business and I'll organise the matching to be done for free and "special" cash pricing for the paint. He's rather good at colour matching.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
Question 7.

Do I need to sand right back to bare timber or just get smooth then apply primer then white base coat.
Reason I ask is, I wondered how well the 34 year old original paint adhears as a base for new paint??

Plus you don't want the new paint to react with the old (although it's so old as to now unlikely be an issue).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
Question 7.

I always sand back to wood, fix and imperfections with bondo or similar, spray primer/undercoat (several thin coats over a 2 hour period), then let the paint settle for a week and apply a thin coat of white (base color), followed by a thicker coat of white. Settle for a week. Then do the stenciled colors over a weekend. Let it settle for a week and then install hardware.

To strip the old paint, use citris strip from bunnings. It does not stink and washes out with water. I've stripped cabs in less than 2 hours.

Refer to this thread, Matt ;

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=820.0

That was a restore I did years ago and it still looks like it was painted last weekend !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »
Matt, if you want paint and colours matched/mixed, let me know. My brother manages a local auto paint supply business and I'll organise the matching to be done for free and "special" cash pricing for the paint. He's rather good at colour matching.

Wow, thanks mate, I can give you the headbox to you to show him, or word him up and I'll pop in early next week  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Question 7.

I always sand back to wood, fix and imperfections with bondo or similar, spray primer/undercoat (several thin coats over a 2 hour period), then let the paint settle for a week and apply a thin coat of white (base color), followed by a thicker coat of white. Settle for a week. Then do the stenciled colors over a weekend. Let it settle for a week and then install hardware.

To strip the old paint, use citris strip from bunnings. It does not stink and washes out with water. I've stripped cabs in less than 2 hours.

Refer to this thread, Matt ;

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=820.0

That was a restore I did years ago and it still looks like it was painted last weekend !

Thanks Nino, thats exactly the info I was after  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »
Wow, thanks mate, I can give you the headbox to you to show him, or word him up and I'll pop in early next week  ^^^

Either way - let me know which and I'll organise. More than happy to take the head box in and sort, glad to help (seeing I encouraged you to do this on the other thread!!)

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »

Either way - let me know which and I'll organise. More than happy to take the head box in and sort, glad to help (seeing I encouraged you to do this on the other thread!!)

Well, to save time if he is working monday, give him the heads up and I'll take it in to him.  Let me know if it suits  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »

Well, to save time if he is working monday, give him the heads up and I'll take it in to him.  Let me know if it suits  ^^^

For sure, I'm seeing him Sunday for dinner, so I'll check when he's taking lunch so you can avoid then.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 12:57:30 AM »
So do you have access to a vinyl cutter?  I think there would be a market for those drop target decals I'll get you to reproduce.
I have a vinyl cutter if needed.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
Thanks heaps for that Greg  ^^^
So do you have access to a vinyl cutter?  I think there would be a market for those drop target decals I'll get you to reproduce.
I'll send an actual Drop Target to you so you can get an exact match  *%*
I have a Roland vinyl cutter which I use for graphics on machines I restore. No need to send a target if you can scan one (scanning will be to scale). Here's an example of a GTB 'Golden Arrow' I'm working on at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:41:35 AM by oldpins »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »
Thats great Greg, would be a very handy item

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »
I have a vinyl cutter if needed.

Thanks for the offer mate, but Greg got in first and I can't let you fight for it  *)*
Appreciate all the help from everyone though  ^^^