Author Topic: Bally Strikes and Spares Restore  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Strikes and Spares Restore
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »

Some Playfield work

The decision was made to leave the contact as the risks were too high. The playfield was in very good condition and the contact was tidy. There were areas not covered and they were badly affected by ball swirl. To match the condition of the playfield where the contact had protected it, I had to use the Chux "Magic Eraser". I've used this product with great success for years, and used correctly, it can provide some really good results. As an agent, I use either Isocol or Isopropyl alcohol. Isocol has more water, so you are better off buying Isopropyl alcohol.

On the picture below, I've spent 20 minutes rubbing the bare playfield with Magic Eraser and Isocol/Isopropyl alcohol. The right side is untouched. Quite clearly, the return lane and the yellow area "Collect" is looking better already.

Same area - with the flash on - so it really highlights the swirl post dirt removal with ME. ME only removes the fine dirt in the cracks, using the alcohol to remove the dirt. so you are still left with swirls, but minus the dirt.

The rest of the plaflield is attended to and then cleaned with Novus 2 and a rag. The contact is in excellent condition.

Playfield contact removal test

Here's the "test area" for contact removal. This is not seen - it is covered by the plastic. Check out the top right hand corner - A LARGE section of paint has lifted !!! This was a good enough guide to abandon any further attempt at removal ! The top section is a bit like a patchwork quilt of different applications of contact. Most of the edges are covered by plastics.

Middle section

Lower section

I resprayed the wooden playfield guides and screwed them back into place. This will keep the playfield flat during the rest of the work.

Clean and polish the hardware and install - looks very good so far !

A few hours hard work makes such a huge difference.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia