Author Topic: Your favorite game when you were a kid?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Your favorite game when you were a kid?
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
What were you favorite game that you would always play back when you were a kid?

I could never go past Card Whiz, Solar City, Sinbad and Evel Knevel
I would also play Eight Ball deluxe and Space Shuttle whenever I could

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Your favorite game when you were a kid?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »

Great topic!

Mine was Time Warp - loved those banana flippers, and for some reason I could always own that game.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:59:52 PM »
Depends what your definition of a kid is.
I always say that I got my skills on Gottlieb EMs as a kid.  Funny thing is,  Williams got my attention big time with titles like Superstar,  Travel Time,  Gulfstream and El Rancho.
Bally  continued to lure me in the golden years with Lost World,  Supersonic,  Playboy,  Kiss,  Star Trek.
Then came my 2 favourites Black Knight and Firepower.
That's it,  I then became a big kid.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
Freiherr, 'kid' can mean what ever you like
No rules in a PBP thread

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Every year at the Perth Royal Show I HAD to play Whirlybird (helicopter simulator in a bubble) in the massive arcade hall they had set up in side show alley.
Geez I miss that place. Not a pinball but cool as fxxk!
This place had so many old EM arcade machines, pins and video machines.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
I first got hooked on pinball around 35 years on the em's at the anchorbell caravan in cowes phillip island. There were 4 machines i remember one was kingpin and down the road at the council park was a sinbad the rest of the games names escape me but i loved them all.
It was a few years later that i became hooked on kiss, playboy, paragon and space invaders at toy world in brandon park spending all my free time and papper round money there. Kiss was my favorite but hard to get a game with all the 20 cent peices piled up on the glass.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Every year at the Perth Royal Show I HAD to play Whirlybird (helicopter simulator in a bubble) in the massive arcade hall they had set up in side show alley.
Geez I miss that place. Not a pinball but cool as fxxk!
This place had so many old EM arcade machines, pins and video machines.

As soon as I saw the thread title - This Game (Whirlybird) popped into my head. I remember this game as a young child. Pinballs - GTB Super Score and Kingpin. WMS Winner, Olympic Hockey and Honey. Bally Nip It was unforgettable with the Balligator.

As I got older - Spirit of 76 became my favorite.

Then Paragon appeared and was instantly my favorite. It still is. It would be the last game out of my collection.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
As a kid (little) it was Kiss - this is an iconic machine I've never forgotten. But I really picked up pinball when at uni & it was Shadow I would play the most (it was new at the time).
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Scotty

• Forum Posts:
  • Scone, NSW 2337
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
NSW - Ballina RSL = Bally Playboy, I was 10yrs old on holidays, was about 1979

NSW - Gerringong  milk bar = Space Invaders,  about 1982 - 83. im sure from memory it was a week long holiday with some school mates and one of their parents, a beautiful part of the country, beaches etc. etc.. spent every day of that week at the Space Invaders machine.

Since69

Offline StuartT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Eight Ball Deluxe and it made me a fan of drop target games.
It was also the first machine I bought.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
For sure not the best games out there, but were my "favourites" as a kid in the 1970's .... starting out with Old Chicago, Delta Queen, Freedom, Buccaneer, Jacks Open.  Starting playing pins probably around 1974/75 and of course at that time there were just EMs.  The early SS I do remember playing tons of were Mata Hari and Future Spa.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
For sure not the best games out there, but were my "favourites" as a kid in the 1970's .... starting out with Old Chicago, Delta Queen, Freedom, Buccaneer, Jacks Open.  Starting playing pins probably around 1974/75 and of course at that time there were just EMs.  The early SS I do remember playing tons of were Mata Hari and Future Spa.

that is whyt I started this thread

we all know which are the game that appeal to us as adults
but back in the 70s and 80's, you could only play what you found on location

we all know that Black Knight is the best of the two level, magna-save, multiball games . but what if the ops in you area did not have any BKs, did jungle lord get all your 20c or did Pharaoh ((as in my case, no Black Knights, only Pharaoh)

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
Pinball - a taboo
I didn't really play much as a kid - I felt guilty spending my parents hard earned money!

The only two games I remember, were at the local squash court at separate times: Kiss and Playboy.  True - perhaps the reason why I only remember those is that I've been hearing about those ever since.  I can't recall any of the many other games I would have seen and but rarely played as a kid, yet I love EM games.  Perhaps catching up on lost time as a youngster, when I craved playing them but didn't.

Wine - "it's good for you"
From the age of 10, my father always encouraged me to drink wine at the dinner table instead of what he called 'trash soft drink'.  The amount of alcohol I've drank in my whole life is probably less than 20 litres.  I have minimal interest in alcohol.

The moral:
Make something a Taboo as a child, and you are sure to encourage a passion for it.  Don't taboo something, and there will be no interest in it.

So teach all young kids that pinball is bad!   !!!

Offline Wiked

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »
Used to play Hankin FJ at Ballina squash courts a fair bit back in the early 80's. Played Kiss, Playboy and Harlem Globetrotters at Goonellabah Tenpin Bowling Alley. The Ampol (Chew and Spew) in Ballina had only room for 2 but they did change them out regularly. I remember Gorgar, Black Knight, Centaur and many other new ones but was blown away when black hole arrived one day.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
Pinball - a taboo
I didn't really play much as a kid - I felt guilty spending my parents hard earned money!

The only two games I remember, were at the local squash court at separate times: Kiss and Playboy.  True - perhaps the reason why I only remember those is that I've been hearing about those ever since.  I can't recall any of the many other games I would have seen and but rarely played as a kid, yet I love EM games.  Perhaps catching up on lost time as a youngster, when I craved playing them but didn't.

Wine - "it's good for you"
From the age of 10, my father always encouraged me to drink wine at the dinner table instead of what he called 'trash soft drink'.  The amount of alcohol I've drank in my whole life is probably less than 20 litres.  I have minimal interest in alcohol.

The moral:
Make something a Taboo as a child, and you are sure to encourage a passion for it.  Don't taboo something, and there will be no interest in it.

So teach all young kids that pinball is bad!   !!!

BB - this is incredibly insightful & very true. And sometimes it cycles by generation - eg . a liberal generation (grandparents), strict generation (parents), liberal generation (me). Alcohol was not welcome at my parents' home & so it was pretty interesting to me as a teen - & I still enjoy a good drop  *%*  Another eg. is although mum & dad were well-off they would always be careful with things like not use the dryer & dry things on the line. It annoyed me to the point that if I want to run my heating at 26 degrees & wear shorts around the house I do. And nah - Kiss was awesome at the time - I reckon it's from those days, not what you've heard since.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:28:12 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.