Author Topic: Yatala Drive-in Movies Gold Coast Queensland Australia  (Read 758 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Yeah it's not a bad joint...a little over-priced and could do with some new gear but if that keeps a drive in running these days so be it.

you recon? its like $16 for two movies, thats cheap as imo. i love yatala drive ins, bloody great place

the best day out is, visiting Dick Johnsons shop next door during the day and finish it off with a trip to the Drivins

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
$16 for 2 movies is fair price imo, you can switch fields at the end of the 1st movie if you want

It cost me $41 for all 6 of us, thats a cheap family night out
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Looks like we are going tomorrow for Sherlock Holmes... cheers for reminding me about this place

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
$16 for 2 movies is fair price imo, you can switch fields at the end of the 1st movie if you want

It cost me $41 for all 6 of us, thats a cheap family night out

i have been there at least a dozan times, i didnt know you could switch places between screens to watch another movie. lol i thought you were stuck watching the second movie in your area. will remember that if there is a better second movie on the other screen, cheers for the heads up.

the best part of drive ins, is us people with the filthy habbit of smoking can smoke in our cars lol

has any one been to the Dick johnson museum next to the drive ins at yatala? you get to look at all his old race cars, and if they are home you get to walk around the work shop and whatch them building up the v8super cars its worth a look and the tour is good also
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:01:02 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Yeah it's not a bad joint...a little over-priced and could do with some new gear but if that keeps a drive in running these days so be it.

you recon? its like $16 for two movies, thats cheap as imo. i love yatala drive ins, bloody great place

the best day out is, visiting Dick Johnsons shop next door during the day and finish it off with a trip to the Drivins

It's a drive in not a cinema...big old dirty screen and sound is only as good as your car stereo..... :lol...I have much better home theatre....good if you are taking a bird for a shag thats about it.
I have worked in drive ins...cheapskates to the max.
visiting dick johnsons shop.......wow that sounds like heaven to me.... ((( (((
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:

It's a drive in not a cinema...big old dirty screen and sound is only as good as your car stereo..... :lol...I have much better home theatre....good if you are taking a bird for a shag thats about it.
I have worked in drive ins...cheapskates to the max.
visiting dick johnsons shop.......wow that sounds like heaven to me.... ((( (((

if the screen is dirty maybe try and fix your wipers before you go  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:36:51 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Nice tip mate, that's like rodney rudes classic one..."if your driving home make sure you have a car!"
Don't get me wrong I love the drive ins...maybe it's because I am a cinema pioneer( worked in the industry for over 20 yrs) and am entiltled to free movies for the rest of my life anywhere in aus but when I present my card at yatala they scoff ( only place I have had this problem)....maybe that is becasue I have worked for the family in the past and they are as tight as a fishes and I have called them out on it numerous times.
Nice venue...but...clean the screen reguarlly..update your projectors,platters and ffs do something about your sound.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:00:41 PM by Cow Corner »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Finally got there last night.. is a cool place really enjoyed watching the sun go down whilst listening to carl Perkins, Elvis etc.
Parked the ute backwards and kids sat in the tray on fold up seats... 2 films, Happy Feet 2 and Sherlock Holmes. MUCH prefer to go here than a normal cinema.
Must take a better mozzie spray next time though!

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
Finally got there last night.. is a cool place really enjoyed watching the sun go down whilst listening to carl Perkins, Elvis etc.
Parked the ute backwards and kids sat in the tray on fold up seats... 2 films, Happy Feet 2 and Sherlock Holmes. MUCH prefer to go here than a normal cinema.

you gotta find your self an old couch to put in the tray, im sure you saw a few people with that sort of settup, it is funny when people try and take short cuts and try and drive over the humps in lowered cars and get stuck lol

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland

Glad you enjoyed the drive-ins gav, whopps I forgot to mention the mozzie spray. I too would rather go the driveins rather than the cinemas, hey did you play any pinball? 
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:

Glad you enjoyed the drive-ins gav, whopps I forgot to mention the mozzie spray. I too would rather go the driveins rather than the cinemas, hey did you play any pinball? 

CFTBL....TAF....T3... only T3 was turned on... couldnt afford pinball after popcorn and lollies!

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Last time I was there CFTBL was the only machine turned on( played like a dog too) and after I asked the ever so friendly staff..lol..they informed me the other 2 were not working and didn't know when they would be. It's good to see they are keeping those same lofty standards up. *)*
For a different night out with a film that doesn't need the full treatment it's a fun night out with the family...even if the pricks wont let me in for free.
We always take our own food and drinks...I refuse to buy from a candy bar anywhere.
When the big blockbusters hit town and you want the best picture and sound..it's chalk and cheese, a cinema leaves a drive in for dead every time and always will.
Drive ins just don't have the same technology and will always be a few steps behind, I guess it's more about the romance of days gone by for most patrons rather than the actual viewing experience and enjoyment of films at their full potential.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Yes.... friendly staff..LOL!

Sound is a shocker here but luckily for us the people in front  had a stereo in the car that had awesome sound, so it was all pretty good.
Next time im in Traceys car so i can have a beer and enjoy the film.. maybe make out under the stars.. who knows