Author Topic: YES OR NO ? ADD LEDS TO A NEW STERN OR NOT ?  (Read 282 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
YES OR NO ? ADD LEDS TO A NEW STERN OR NOT ?
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
LEDS have always been a big question in any pinball machine(s) for alot of hobbyists.

(I am a convert with DMD machines as they just bring a machine alive,) BUT do you add LED's to a Brand New Stern title.  !@# !@# !@#

I wanted to get peoples views on this... Its one thing to do a machine thats 10 to 20 yrs old, but is adding a bunch of LEDs to a Brand New Machine the answer, does it reflect that machine needs LEDs or is lacking in some way, or is it just overkill.  !@#

Whenever I have seen a new Stern, the first thing I notice is just how bright n nice the inserts are with brand new lamps, and ultra modern everything. Does a new Stern really need LEDs, is there ghosting etc. Do u keep the machine original for several months, then do it, or do u just go full on straight away with bling bling bling, incl mirror blades, any extras like a topper or upgrade side armour etc etc. Should a brand new Stern be left stock as a rock ?  !@#

What do u guys think on the whole subject ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: YES OR NO ? ADD LEDS TO A NEW STERN OR NOT ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
YES

My iron man has leds and it looks great and I played the AC/DC with and without LEDs and I think LEDs are the better way to go (good way to add colour intensity and focus and achieve a unique look- also consider the heat damage from normal globes on plastics.

Mirror blades is another feature which can look good - but maybe this is a feature to chose carefully. Again my iron man has them and the AC/DC  - one with the leds had a set. They do add some depth to the machine and great for playing a game in low light as well. Luke (specialwhenlit) does his own mirror blades that strategically places the optional mounting holes down low under the playfield level and mainly relies on a few bits of double sided tape as well as the backbox hinge bolts to locate.This option allows you to remove with minimal damage if you don't like it, where other suppliers have screw mounting holes higher and you risk putting holes in the areas that you can see - no turning back.

It's like getting a nice car and then opting for tinting and mags - comes down to personal choice.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:14:24 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »
excellent answer. well said Swinksy.

I am wondering how many people are in the "keep it stock as a rock" camp.  I guess you cant get away from the heat of the std lamps in any machine. But is it a factor in a BNIB Stern, being Home use only. I will have to check it with the AC/DC Pro etc.  !@# !@#

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:19 PM »
???Ok... fill me in. I thought the ACDC video with the LED was how the machine came... far out.. why wouldnt you if thats what it looks like... bloody machine is made for it mate, youd be dumb not to

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:25:21 AM »

Depending on how far back you want to go, the Terminator 3 I installed LEDs on is simply a different experience with LEDs. Still a great player, but a real blast to play in the different modes - especially "R-E-D" - the machine looks awesome. There is ghosting on super brights - especially REDS in inserts so I went to 180 Degrees and the problem is barely noticeable.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Richyrich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
Hell Yes

I put them in every pin i get.
Would never use normal ones again ,ever

I dont mind a topper,either

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:23 AM »
LOL- just bought 500 off #47 and 200 off #455 self flashing... cant imagine my 50's pins with LED... just far too stark and no warmth

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »
yeh, I did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is a 1990/1991 model, and it went from warm and not very colourful insert wise, to absolutely bright and super colourful as buggery. It takes a little while to get over the massive difference( which clearly then becomes a big visual improvement) but I dont know if I would do my 1978 Williams Phoenix or not. I think I would have to leave that stock, or I think it would take away from what people saw in 1978, which you want to get close I think.

Its a matter of where do u start, and where do u stop ?  !@#

and Gav, AC/DC doesnt come with Leds from factory, it was updated that one very quickly by the owner. I cant really see myself (yet) doing my NIB AC/DC because it shld be fine without it, but I will seek advice from as many friends who see the machine after I open it, and might go with the general consensus to start with. Hopefully Gav I can get u down for the unboxing with afew other AP members. Hell, I would even give u first game since u are such a bloody nice bloke, and great entertainment. I reckon that English accent doing a moving commentary would sound bloody good on the first video we make. Like the united nations of pinball.  %.% ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:21 AM »
Stern uses a really crappy blue insert, so adding LEDs under those means you can see them

I put them in my IM, now I can see the DRONE inserts,
also putting cool white (light blue) under the MARK I - V insets gives them just the right glow

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:57 AM »
I use LED very sparsley on the play field , mainly in the spots .
Call me old fashion  !!! but I love the nostalgic look that the incandescent lamp give out .

Offline Richyrich

• Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:12 AM »
Im pretty sure the AC/DC L E's both come with LEDS

Only the pro and premium come standard

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
They can really have their uses - I think the more modern the machine, the more they fit in. I have been experimenting with them in AFM, and found they work extremely well in some areas, and look a bit off in others.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
yeh, I did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is a 1990/1991 model, and it went from warm and not very colourful insert wise, to absolutely bright and super colourful as buggery. It takes a little while to get over the massive difference( which clearly then becomes a big visual improvement) but I dont know if I would do my 1978 Williams Phoenix or not. I think I would have to leave that stock, or I think it would take away from what people saw in 1978, which you want to get close I think.

Its a matter of where do u start, and where do u stop ?  !@#

and Gav, AC/DC doesnt come with Leds from factory, it was updated that one very quickly by the owner. I cant really see myself (yet) doing my NIB AC/DC because it shld be fine without it, but I will seek advice from as many friends who see the machine after I open it, and might go with the general consensus to start with. Hopefully Gav I can get u down for the unboxing with afew other AP members. Hell, I would even give u first game since u are such a bloody nice bloke, and great entertainment. I reckon that English accent doing a moving commentary would sound bloody good on the first video we make. Like the united nations of pinball.  %.% ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

LOL- thanks mate, but i could never take a mans first game on a NIB... just wouldnt be right. Would be a pleasure to be there at the unveiling though.. ^^^