Author Topic: FUNNY MOVIE FOR SURE !  (Read 390 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
FUNNY MOVIE FOR SURE !
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:10:53 AM »
For something different tonight, I watched a movie on Austar/Foxtel on the TCM Channel (Turner Classis Movies).

It was called "Go West" = made in 1940 - starring Groucho Marx and his 2 x sidekicks - Black n White Film - but well worth the watch x 10.

Man this old movie was a friggin absolute crack up. The sort of movie to watch when no-one is around so u can hear all the jokes built into all the funny scenes of the movie.
The comedy actors were so funny, the piano playing by one of the brothers is amazing, the harp and harmonica etc by the funny mute guy who always blows his horn is an absolute classic, and the jokes n overall funny walks by Groucho Marx is a friggin crack up.

I am sure there are fifty funny movies by Groucho Marx. Movie making in the days when everything was about well written skripts and on the spot great jokes.

Anyway, if u guys can find the movie to watch in full, I reckon it will be a friggin funny movie to fill an hour for some great laughs.

P.S - any Bob Hope movies of this era were also so friggin funny. "Pale Face" comes to mind as another funny Western. And any of the 3 Stooges movies were also excellent.

Have fun.  ^^^
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:12:43 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: FUNNY MOVIE FOR SURE !
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »

There are many hidden gems from this era. Comedy didn't need swear words to be funny in those days. I have the entire Three Stooges Collection, and every now and again, I watch a few episodes with my son. Really funny stuff. Today's comedy is not even close.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Mate.... ALL Marx Bros films are a crack up.. the older you get the more you appreciate them.. hardly a line said without some sort of joke embedded in there... true masters of comedy.

Check out Laurel & Hardy... "Way Out West" from late 30's.... that will split your sides also

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »
I watched another Marx brothers movie called "The Big Store" or something like that.

It was also a friggin crack up. I am going to go to JB Hi Fi and buy the whole Marx Brothers movie pack if i can. I laughed my ass off. Funny dudes for sure.
They did the funny'est things on roller skates in this department store in this movie. Some of the scenes with the Harpo brother playing a harp in front of 3 mirrors was a friggin blast. I havent laughed so hard for years.

These marx brothers were absolute Genius's for their time. Never seen anyone in 60 or 70 years since, even come close.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
Have to agree, i bought the entire collection of Marx movies about a year ago, plus some doco's about them.

Besides comedy, Chico & Harpo have insane musical talents, and in fact been acclaimed as the best in the business by CURRENT symphony musicians/directors....that' a big call !!

I can't think of which movie it is, but there's a seen where Chico plays a piano which falls apart (i think someone fights/falls on it)....then Harpo runs in, and pulls the inside framework of the piano out, which just happens to be like a harp and plays it (a piano is really nothing more than a harp with hammers+keys anyway).....amazing stuff.

MM.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
I prefer Buster Keaton, from the silent era

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »
Pete, I will have to look up Buster Keaton.  !@#   I think i saw a doco on him. IF its the guy i am thinking about, he got charged with indecent dealings with a girl and died a alcoholic, but i will have to relook at the doco i have saved from Austar on the history channel. Was he a chubby guy with black hair ? I might have the wrong guy, but it sounds familiar. ?

Marty, I know what u mean, these guys were absolute magicians when it came to playing various musical instruments. Its surprising to this day, no one has ever come close as a trio of comedians.They played a dozen different instruments each. I will look for some documentary's of the three to see what their lives were like away from the camera. One thing i am interested in, is if the Harpo brother could talk (which he never ever did on camera) and did he not talk ever, or was that just his trademark of being musical and just play speech mute. He could whistle like a demon as well.

These movies are just the best fun.  Its a shame that alot of the younger generation of today dont even know who these guys are. Definately GEMS & DIAMONDS of AMERICAN MOVIE HISTORY, and probably 3 of the funniest guys to ever walk the planet. I look forward to buying all their movies in a box set.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
Pete, I will have to look up Buster Keaton.  !@#   I think i saw a doco on him. IF its the guy i am thinking about, he got charged with indecent dealings with a girl and died a alcoholic, but i will have to relook at the doco i have saved from Austar on the history channel. Was he a chubby guy with black hair ? I might have the wrong guy, but it sounds familiar. ?
of being musical and just play speech mute. He could whistle like a demon as well.

No, that was Fatty Arbuckle
Fatty actually gave Buster his start in movies
Buster stuck by his mentor after the controversy

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Pete, Yep, u are spot on.
The moment i read the Fatty Arbuckle bit it came straight back to me. I watched a doco on him. He was probably set up and someone in Hollywood was probably trying to
extort him for money cause at one stage, he was the highest paid actor of the time. I found a good link below. This guy taught Charlie Chaplin and found Bob Hope. 2 x of Americas biggest ever comedians. Arbuckle was also a genius too by the looks of it. a good link below >

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle

The fella you are talking about was thin i think from memory. Again, early entertainment that was well recieved by all ages.  ^^^
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:24:39 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:34 PM »
Harpo can talk, but NEVER does on camera, nor in interviews where they 'try' to make him answer....he only answers with honking his horn etc....

There IS a reason why he doesnt talk on camera, and that's explained in the doco's, i won't spoil it for ya's, now you have to go out and get them ;-)

MM.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
ok, interesting.

These guys were extremely interesting characters for sure.
Someone in Hollywood saw them and instantly thought "gold". and then made milions n millions from their great work.  ^^^