Author Topic: Stern Wildfyre PF restore..  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: Stern Wildfyre PF restore..
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
Looks unreal mate  ^^^

But you stole my upcoming idea's for doing decals to replace lettering etc on a re-sprayed playfield - U R a pinball GRASSCUTTER   :lol

Cannot believe the colour matching you were able to 'buy' off the shelf - how good is that  *%*
DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »
Looks great Mitch  ^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys ^^^

Time for another update; I've been plodding away with this PF restore when the weather permits, painting in extreme cold or rainy weather is generally NOT a good thing to do, as it usually leads to problems as i found out the hard way some time ago!! so lately i've taken to heating the garage and shining a 150watt floodlight onto the PF to warm the PF before spraying paint on, which seems to help a bit.

Ok, now some pics.. progress pics of painting of the double bonus/shoot again/ 5x inserts area. painting the white, purple and yellow. I had previously primered/filled around the inserts where the paint had worn away, and block sanded these areas flat with 400 grit wet&dry and windex ready for the paint.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
More pics, this time repainting the orange on the right hand side. and re-doing the black detail lines at the top, which i had gone over with a sharpie pen before spraying the orange on, so i could see where the lines were meant to be after the paint was sprayed on. 

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
repainting the white extra ball insert area.. and after applying the decal for the lettering. the decal was sealed with clear acrylic after it had been applied and allowed to dry.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »
redoing the flipper areas..For this area i just sanded it smooth with 280 grit then 400 grit and masked the areas off and gave them several coats of clear acrylic. when the acrylic had dried i cut it back with 1200 grit wet&dry and windex, and hand buffed the areas with 3M hand glaze.. came up real nice!!

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
 #*# This playfield is looking great! I've been following this thread for a while, thanks for the continued updates

Timbo

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »
And here is where im at with this PF at the moment.. ready to apply the rest of the lettering decals, which will be done tomorrow.

Unlike the rest of the painting, the aqua blue colour, i had to custom mix and airbrush on... i had to get a new airbrush this week as the old one i had shat itsself some time ago, so i had to wait til now to do this area.

Not much left to do now, just a few more minor touchups here and there, the black circles around the inserts and the black lines before the mylar goes on  $#$
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:53:09 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
#*# This playfield is looking great! I've been following this thread for a while, thanks for the continued updates

Timbo

Thanks Timbo ^^^ I, myself have been following YOUR own work with much interest too.

I hope you do well with your new business venture.. I must admit i've been toying with the idea of doing something similar myself since im already doing some of this kind of work for a few other people in my spare time, but i wouldn't want to be treading on yours or anyone else's toes who are already doing this kind of work.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:58:41 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »

Timbo

Thanks Timbo ^^^ I, myself have been following YOUR own work with much interest too.

I hope you do well with your new business venture.. I must admit i've been toying with the idea of doing something similar myself since im already doing this kind of work for a few other people, but i wouldn't want to be treading on yours or anyone else's toes who are already doing this kind of work.

Certainly not treading on my toes! You have a great skill - GO FOR IT! I'm sure you will help lots of guys with their restorations  #*# Keep the updates coming

Timbo

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
Looking good Mitch as always still have not touched that fast draw playfield which I was going to try your method on (one day).  But I am going to be retrying tims method on fire power very shortly

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »

Timbo

I hope you do well with your new business venture.. I must admit i've been toying with the idea of doing something similar myself since im already doing some of this kind of work for a few other people in my spare time, but i wouldn't want to be treading on yours or anyone else's toes who are already doing this kind of work.

Great update Mitch  ^^^ As always, I enjoy your playfield restores.

As for "treading on toes" - I don't think that is an issue whatsoever, as ALL of the talented playfield resto guys learn from each other. We need MORE talented people promoting their work and if we are lucky, there will be MORE machines that have work done to them by the likes of yourself, MartyJ, Timbo, Gav etc - I think it is a REAL step forward in the hobby.

The more restorers that document their methods will only encourage others to roll up their sleeves and "have a go". There are a few of us that are willing to learn from you guys  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »
Gday Mitch .

Great update.  ^^^

I agree 100% with Nino . Go for it if you want to. No doubt there is plenty of work out there for all of you.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
Gday Mitch .

Great update.  ^^^

I agree 100% with Nino . Go for it if you want to. No doubt there is plenty of work out there for all of you.

Cheers
Dave

Well i already have several regular 'customers' that i do work for, and they are AP members *%* and they keep me fairly busy, so i guess im off to a good start. Only trouble is though that i dont get much time to work on my own games!! its all good though.

Also i have to go and do a shop out job on a Twilight Zone soon as i make a time to go do it. Went and looked at it a couple of weekends ago and gave him a quote for the job which he accepted, just needs rubbers, a few globes and a good cleanup, and a couple of mechanical issues. I was actually put onto this job by the guys from Bumper Action, which was a surprise!! You see this guy with the TZ called them looking for someone in Armidale NSW to work on his game and they called me, (not wanting to give out my phone no without my say so) and asked me if i was intersted on working on it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:08:04 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Sweet Mitch !  ^^^
Only prob I can see (and you've already mentioned it) is that a hobby business will/does cut into your free time .
The trick is to somehow maintain a healthy balance between work and leisure . Good luck with it

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$