Author Topic: Gtb Quick Draw  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Gtb Quick Draw
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
more pics.. after the mylar glue was all gone i broke out the magic eraser and isocol and did some cleaning up, removing the crap from the fine cracks and ball swirl in the areas not covered with mylar. While cleaning the return /outlanes i managed to rub through the yellow.. making more work for myself..  D"OH!!  @.@  @.@  not happy about that!! anyway it ended up looking ok with some touchup.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »
Now i am up to the paint repairs. in these pics i've used waterbased acrylic paint for the repairs, slowly and carefully brushing the paint in to build up the worn paint back up level with the surrounding paint.

In the 2nd pic, i ended up repainting the whole of the light blue at the top of the PF on either side of the top lanes. Its all brushed on rather than sprayed. went on nice n flat, turned out pretty sweet me thinks!!

in the 3rd pic i've redone the yellow in the bumper areas and touched up the white spots in the red, using the old "paint & smear" trick. the same was done with the spots of lifted blue paint near the bonus ladder inserts seen in the mylar removal post.

Next, the dark blue will be repaired where necessary as well as the reds on the rest of the PF. Also sone of the inserts will need to be removed if possible and levelled.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:47:43 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »

Good stuff, Mitch  ^^^

How did you brush the blue section - it looks sprayed on ? How do you get the level correct and avoid brush marks ?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Nice work once again Mitch  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

Good stuff, Mitch  ^^^

How did you brush the blue section - it looks sprayed on ? How do you get the level correct and avoid brush marks ?

Hi Nino, i ended up doing these sections in several light thin coats, i took my time with this, trying to blend in the new colour with the original where possible. In the top section i found this difficult to do so i ended up painting the whole lot, which i was a bit apprehensive about doing, even though i knew i could simply wipe the paint off with a wet rag if not happy with it. The wear below the bumpers blended in real nice, and can barely be seen. Its really not that hard to do, you just need to take your time and not try to rush it.

At first i tried mixing the colour out of auto acrylic, brushing it on, building up layers above the pf and then block sanding it level but i wasnt happy with the colour match after blocking back, then i resorted to the old waterbased acrylics, naturally i had to mix the colour lighter to allow for the paint darkening as it dries. So i ended up leaving the auto acrylic on there (to fill the wear hole) and just painting a thin coat or two of waterbased acrylic over the top, thinning and feathering it out into the original finish.. looked much better in the end.

The paint dries really flat, ie no gloss compared to the original paint on the PF, which can be seen with light reflecting off the PF, but once the mylar goes on it wont be noticeable.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:24:52 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »
Just a quick update;

Been busy working on the top section of the pf, cleaning up and touching up where needed.. a few pics of how its looking so far...

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 12:20:15 AM »
Normally when im doing up a PF, i'll make an effort to remove and at least re-level the inserts if they are ones with lettering on them. well these ones are all sunken and concave in the middle so my usual trick is to remove and sand them flat, again (3rd pic show this). so being that these inserts all have lettering that would have to be preserved or re-done, i made scans of one of the insert's 'when lit' text and of the middle A B &C inserts so i could make adhesive decals if the text to reapply once i had them sanded nice n flat.

Anyhow the pics show some of the inserts removed, and the adhesive decals printed ready to be reapplied. the insert flattening process, first using 80 grit sandpaper (pictured) then 400 and finally 800 grit paper, and finally one of the inserts wit the decal applied. Btw.. This insert is the 'extra bonus' insert, which when i removed it using a heat gun to soften the glue, and a socket and hammer tp tap it out.. i managed to deform the insert in the heating process  @.@ @.@
luckily i was able to save it in the sanding flat process!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:51:42 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:07 AM »
More pics... in the 1st pic the extra bonus insert is only being test fitted into the hole and wont be glued in until the screw hole that some tool had drilled into the pf at some stage has been repaired ^&^ ^&^ why do some people do this crap?? ^.^

2nd and 3rd pic are the A B C inserts reglued in and levelled, and the black circles redone. I did these with a sharpie pen and a math-o-mat initially, but ended up going over them with a fine paintbrush and some black acrylic paint, not quite finished when this pic was taken.

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 01:41:56 AM »
Going great there Mitch  @@*
Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the pf holes,
the same idiot must have owned my QD at some stage  &^&,
Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:01 AM »
Yes, the post in the centre of the flippers mod..... SO many games have this done to them.

Enjoying your posts Pinbologist... all good stuff!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
A quick Quickdraw update..  :lol

I spent some time today removing and flattening and reinstalling inserts, and retouching the black circles around them. Im only using sharpie pens for the circles in these inserts rather than painting, like i have just detailed in my Wildfyre resto thread, mainly because i dont think i need to go to that extreme with this Pf.. that and im doing this one in my spare room in my unit (rented) and id get shot if i messed the place up  :lol

In the first couple of pics im removing and levelling/reinstalling the inserts a few at a time.
And the last two pics, some of the other inserts re-done.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:47:06 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 12:46:10 AM »
More pics.. this time showing the repair of the outhole section, where some dickhead had drilled and fitted a post ^.^

First i had to fill the hole, i used auto body filler for this, sanded it back level with 280 grit sandpaper and touched up the paint using waterbased acrylic. Then it was just a matter of re-doing the missing lettering, which i did using a fine tipped sharpie pen.. nice n simple!! This PF will be mylared using a sheet big enough to cover the whole pf, as have all of my games.

I ordered the mylar today, so this pf should be finished next week!! this of didnt need a lot of touch up, there are still a few bits i have to fix up before the mylar goes on, but they wont take long to do...  I love the easy PF restores!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:49:14 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »
Here is the adhesive sticker paper im now trying for doing these inserts, since i ran out of the other stuff i was using and can't get it locally anymore it seems ^&^

i bought it online from here   http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/products.asp?id=282

I gave this stuff a try today for the return lane inserts, and is seems like it'll work well for this. Its crystal clear unlike the other sticker paper i was using, i'm now wondering how it'd go for repairing backglass artwork, like i did on my Zac Universe glass, since its main use is for glass!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:42:38 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline daics3522

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »
Looking good !!!!!!!!!
1up Promotions provide all your promotional items... from keyrings to banners to stubby coolers etc, etc..... Anything you need just PM.... (website coming soon)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 08:07:50 AM »
How does the print come up on the clear window vinyl?

I tried water slide decal paper once but wasnt happy with the finish on the print from my ink jet printer.
Id be interested in how this stuff comes up