Author Topic: No Longer Available Items for Restoring  (Read 21506 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: No Longer Available Items for Restoring - Ceasing
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »

Hi Jady,

Thanks for the update.

This was a great idea, but I guess people are so used to mass-produced extremely cheap consumer items, that engineered short-run items seem expensive by comparison. I suspect few have ever had something built from scratch,  so don't realize that unique items are expensive, even if its just a "little piece of plastic".

Thanks for letting us know, and all the best with the job hunting - darkest before the storm as they say. You sure have a lot on your plate, but I am sure you'll find the reserves to get through this.

+1
Jady I'm sure everyone understands your decision, I can only say that I sincerly hope that things start looking up in 2014 and I'm sure they will. Seeing the energy you've put into you 3D printing venture your obviously a very motivated person. Keep your chin up mate things will turn around.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »

Hi Jady,

Thanks for the update.

This was a great idea, but I guess people are so used to mass-produced extremely cheap consumer items, that engineered short-run items seem expensive by comparison. I suspect few have ever had something built from scratch,  so don't realize that unique items are expensive, even if its just a "little piece of plastic".

Thanks for letting us know, and all the best with the job hunting - darkest before the storm as they say. You sure have a lot on your plate, but I am sure you'll find the reserves to get through this.

+1
Jady I'm sure everyone understands your decision, I can only say that I sincerly hope that things start looking up in 2014 and I'm sure they will. Seeing the energy you've put into you 3D printing venture your obviously a very motivated person. Keep your chin up mate things will turn around.

+ 2 .  Good on you for giving it a go Jady . ^^^  Damn shame it didn't at least break even for you .. as you say the huge amount of time is a big issue too , cause you just can't charge what your time is worth .

Appreciate you are still doing things tough and bad news in the family sure doesn't help . It is a new year and by about now most employers are back at work so surely the job opportunity side should open up for you again now .

Wishing you all the very best

Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
Disappointing to hear mate, hopefully thing will turn your way soon

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
Jady it is a shame to hear the whole 3D printer thing hasn't proven worth continuing on with.  What you did produce was great.

I wish you and the family all the very best, the fog will lift and the sun will shine again mate.
Addicted to pins.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
Well done for giving it a go, you came up with some excellent products.

Hang in there, things will turn around for you, all the best to you and your family.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
Sad to hear mate but I totally understand your decision.  The work you had done was top notch

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
Sorry to hear Jady, such a shame as you were creating some amazing mods.

All the best mate and i honestly hope something good falls into your lap soon.

P.S. Did you get my last PM? Offer still stands to go and have a look for you?

Offline vanhos

• Forum Posts:
  • Warrnambool
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »
Jady stick at it. Looks like u deffinatly no what u doing. Pick a few parts that we cannot get. An item that actually peoe need cause there machine doesn't work means they will pay at a higher price.

Plus I bet you actually enjoy designing these parts other wise you wouldn't spend so much time on it. Maybe take a break for month or two. Get u head in a good space. I'm sure you will come up with even more great ideas.

Even flog it on a cheap website and plaster them across all the forums. I'm sure there is guys on here that could make a cheap website for u. All the best mate. People like u are what this hobbie needs.

HOS

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
I agree with the above - I have spent so much designing, making and promoting my products I shudder to think........it all turns around in the end as people will grow to trust and love your work.

You can't expect to retire overnight on any venture I'm afraid.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
I agree with the above - I have spent so much designing, making and promoting my products I shudder to think........it all turns around in the end as people will grow to trust and love your work.

You can't expect to retire overnight on any venture I'm afraid.

Agreed.. I spend 6 -8 hrs making stencil files on average.. no one on AA will buy them cos im not on AA... shipping to US is expensive with no tracking so they buy bootlegs instead.. some people want to split a stencil set up and only want the head etc.
I don't get ANY return on the time it takes to make them.. I get a small return on the amount of material used.
As a stand alone business venture.. stencils will send you broke quicker than you can cut them.
It will take me years to get an inventory of titles that might just have at least 1 stencil a week cut.. but that is my aim with a reputation of supplying the best there is.. but no... I don't make any money out of it...yet...

Back to the sign making!!!

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
The first two years of any venture are hard as hell. Five to seven years tests your persistence. Financial rewards come around later than sooner. 3D printing is relatively new for a home based operator and costs will come down over time according to Moore's Law, that's when your financial gains will come to fruition.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
Sorry to hear this Jady....I can understand how people / things in this hobby can do this to you.   ^^^

Hopefully the new year will bring you employment opportunities and then the 3d printing can be a part timer for pocket money towards machines.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
Thanks everyone - I had a time out break at the beach today and did some soul searching and nutted out a game plan of sorts.

I am not quitting the 3D printing as I enjoy the possibilities of it and like Marty suggested I still aim to do things with it and hopefully earn a little bit of pocket money and get myself a pin in the near future once I get a job as I do really enjoy them. Like Gav and others have said somethings take alot of effort and I agree but not when my family are looking at me for the support. So I have to invest more energy into looking for a job and only once I have one will I tinker and create mods more for the enjoyment, as I really do enjoy the inventing and creating side of things. It's just not viable at a critical time as another 6 months and we might have to consider selling the home and that is stressful thinking about that.

So hopefully 2014 improves rapidly and then I can consider the odd reproduction item and a mod here and there.

Sorry if I have disappointed anyone but have to be selfish at this point of time.

See below my other creation - my own 3D printer which is a robot spider arm type (Delta) which are super fast, running on linear bearings vertically and self levelling as it is amazing the amount of lost time in poor prints from the first layer not being spot on with in 0.10mm. You never know I might get a job and then have an army of printers pumping out repro parts and mods. I am actually building 2 machines as while I was getting parts for one I thought may as well double up and save on postage - so in the near future I could have 3 machines running which will help in lowering the cost of parts. All the orange parts are printed to give you a ideal of what I have also been doing the last few months.

Anyway thanks for the support and understanding and I will still be around but modding will not a high priority (more as a relaxing hobby) though I have a few cool CFTBL ones in my head to be worked on in the future as well as a very cool car idea for the Stern Mustang but more importantly will be used my custom pin one day  &&.

Lastly there are a few items soon to be released and available soon through Shapeways if anyone is interested:
- the Bally Fathom ball launch arm is almost done but waiting on fitting and feedback to fine tune and release
- Stern coin slots - final fit changes - very close
- Williams coin slots that I thought were bally's, just waiting on feedback of sizing.
- Small Rollover buttons - waiting on fit testing and then they will be released

So you AP guys know who you are if you can help and do the testing that will help some of my efforts be worthwhile so at least they are available for people to buy. I am also able to make bally shrouds, emtallica croses to order and still have a heap of the AC/DC bell block covers in the 5 designs in stock.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
Good luck on the job hunting mate something will pop up ;).  Even nightshift in a servo to cover the mortgage that will allow you daylight to spend time with the family and machines.  Just don't get stuck there

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Pm sent.
Still loving my Metallica Premium