Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

How to touch this playfield up?

(1/2) > >>

illawarra_steelers:
Here is a playfield shot of the game I'm about to buy - a Gottlieb Thoro-bred from 1965. As can be seen by the photo the playfield around the bumpers has seen better days.

So what do you think would be the best way to restore this old girl?

ddstoys:
Being solid colors id try to color match to the existing color on the playfield paint it into the missing areas building up layers then block sanding it all smooth once dry. Then do the black with a sharpie  then clear coat the playfield.  This work well if you have a good eye for color as matching is the hardest part. But im sure you already know this?

Mr Pinbologist:

--- Quote from: ddstoys on March 18, 2009, 10:03:09 PM ---Being solid colors id try to color match to the existing color on the playfield paint it into the missing areas building up layers then block sanding it all smooth once dry. Then do the black with a sharpie  then clear coat the playfield.  This work well if you have a good eye for color as matching is the hardest part. But im sure you already know this?

--- End quote ---

only things i could add would be to prime the bare wood first, so as to make sure the paint will adhere properly. And you have to be REAL careful if clearcoating over sharpie ink.. it nearly always runs under the clearcoat. i did this successfully.. ONCE!!  most of the times id tried it in the past the ink ran and i had to start all over again!! @.@ Very light coats is the key here i have found. I believe there some other brands of pens that work better for this than Sharpies, that wont run under clear coat.. i think Gavin (retropin) might be able to offer some advice in this department.

Hope this is of some assistance..

Cheers .. Mitch

ddstoys:
Yes first coats need to go on dry so hold the spray gun away from the playfield once you have an even dry coat you can hit it with a wet coat. First playfield i tried the sharpie did run with the clearcoat

Mr Pinbologist:

--- Quote from: ddstoys on March 18, 2009, 10:43:16 PM ---Yes first coats need to go on dry so hold the spray gun away from the playfield once you have an even dry coat you can hit it with a wet coat.

--- End quote ---

Yepp.. pretty much what i ended up doing. This was on my home made Vortex machine when i clearcoated over the mostly hand drawn/painted art and the bloody ink ran...AAAGH!! was not happy.

Since then i've used a full sheet of mylar on all of my PF restores.. just saves a lot of time i find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version