Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Williams Big Deal Restore

(1/7) > >>

Strangeways:
Williams Big Deal Restore

Something different - an EM restore that I did around 7 years ago. I enjoy working on EMs in between my favorite SS machines.

Background

This was another of the machines that was left over from the route days. You can see in some of the initial pictures the line up of machines that were also in storage for 10 years or more. It was removed from a Social Club along with a few other machines. When it was picked up, the front door was wide open. Obviously the site didn't care about the machine even to the point of stealing their own takings...

Condition

Playfield - 7/10. Mylar installed. Very dirty, but there were patches of mylar raised that were hiding a VERY nice and colorful playfield.
Backglass - 7/10. Not bad, but some of the white areas around the score windows were very flaky.
Electrics - 7/10. Most of the steppers were clogged up with lube. A couple of relays were toast, as were a few playfield coils. Chimes unit was not good
Cabinet - 8/10. In great condition for its age

Objective

Have the machine restored to the best condition possible. The playfield has potential and the cabinet did not require a repaint. All the moving parts would be rebuilt. It should look like an 8 - 9/10, but mechanically be perfect.

That objective was met - The new owner has never called for a service call !

Initial Pictures

Here is the only "before" picture that I have. Playfield looks very good, thanks to Dad for laying contact in the old days. Plastics and targets are good and original. The registration sticker is still on the Apron - dated 1993.

The head without the backglass is rather uninteresting. There is a couple of neat "fixes" I did to improve the game. Notice the "zero" on the score reels ? (Fake). I made a nice improvement there.

Under the bonnet - Not bad at all. A few burnt coils, but overall I was pleased. There's a Sky Jump to the right and a Hot Hand and a Smart Set on the left. Also the cleaning kit included the Nifti and rags !

Stripped Playfield - I didnt take any pictures of the plyfield other than the one above. Here's a picture of the playfield after I removed the contact. The colors are really nice. ZERO wear.

Again - This is a restore I completed around 6 - 7 years ago and it was sold to a collector while I was still working on it. I will cover work on the steppers and a couple of improvements I made.

Updates soon !

:D

Ford Fairlane:
wow such a beautiful playfield. Please tell us what you had to do to it!!

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: Ford Fairlane on January 21, 2009, 04:29:25 PM ---wow such a beautiful playfield. Please tell us what you had to do to it!!

--- End quote ---

All in good time !

The playfield glass is in the machine which may explain why it looks so nice.

Many hours still went into the playfield - I will cover that in detail later.

Skybeaux:
From the photo's it looks like it has potential to come up pretty nice
I'm sure you'll go all out on it Nino  *%*

illawarra_steelers:
You were even using Nifty back then to clean the playfields  :lol

This game looked like she was in pretty good nick to start with and is actually a pretty cool game for a Williams 70s EM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version