Author Topic: Stern Ali Restore  (Read 11261 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Stern Ali Restore
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
Time for some stencil making; same process as I’ve always used for my restores, trace the artwork then transfer that onto cardboard and cut out.

Cabinet stripped and repairs started; same deal as the backbox.

Before I did anything though I took the cab into the paint shop and had the colours matched and mixed. I’m using automotive acrylic for all my restores now, having stopped using rattle cans for cab repaints.

Something I do on most cab restores now is to add new timber to the bottom where the ply is usually damaged/chipped away. On this cab even though the back panel is new I got some strips of Tasmanian Oak from Bunnings, cut the bottom edge of the back and added the new timber over the bottom edge of the ply. My reasoning behind this is to help prevent the ply being destroyed if the game is slid into the back of a ute or trailer etc.

It can be seen in this pic below where I have also glued new timber onto the inside bottom edge of the sides where the plywood has usually fallen off.

First primer coats.. As with the backbox this process had to be repeated several times due to the amount of damage/planking of the plywood, one side was worse than the other.

And here are the cabinet and head box ready for the basecoat. These were left for a week or so before I sanded them out in preparation for the basecoat.. I did this right through the whole process, left the primer to allow all of the solvents to escape and allow for shrinkage before sanding.. less chance of repairs showing up in the finished product.