Author Topic: Pinball 2000 bad wrap  (Read 2450 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Pinball 2000 bad wrap
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »
This has annoyed me for some time especially while owning both p2k games and that is people knock buying and owning these due to fear of the pc going etc and being left with a boat anchor.  So these games have suffered price wise because of this.  I've now sold both for other reasons.

But what I'm interested to know is, why are people happy to fork out on jjp, Chicago pin and any of the other boutique guys.  Man if i was worried about future issues with availability and places to fix these systems why the hell are guys outlaying $13k+ on these new games?

I wouldn't guaranty the manufacturers will be around in 10 years and this would even apply to Stern.

So why the insecurities with p2k (which are industrial based gear) and the confidence in these other systems. I still shake my head when asked aren't i worried about p2k.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:02:55 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Pinball 2000 bad wrap
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
I bought my RFM for $2,000.00. I spent way more than that just restoring my AFM to the same condition! It is every bit as accomplished a game as AFM, and technically far superior, and build wise at another level. Biggest bargain in pinball by an absolute mile.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:01:13 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline onetaste

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
Personally I don’t like playing the games, I would never buy one, my view is that is why the price is depressed.

I agree with your comments about risk with the new manufacturers. I am also worried about all the new Stern machines, too, with all their node boards and surface mount stuff. They are going to be a bitch to fix 10 or 20 yrs from now, especially if Stern goes under. Very few companies last forever, and when Gary steps down who knows what the next person will do.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
Personally I don’t like playing the games, I would never buy one, my view is that is why the price is depressed.

Some don't like the games, but RFM is a good player when set up well, and very entertaining to boot. Granted, not everyone's taste with the limited effective playfield area. I recall that when Nucore was available, the prices rose, and with Nucore's demise they fell back somewhat. Pinbox is around but takes a bit of work to sort, so is not really a replacement. Seems to me the tech is the issue for most people more than gameplay.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”