Author Topic: Replacing Sega "Jumbo" DMD  (Read 2968 times)

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Replacing Sega "Jumbo" DMD
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
Hi all,
I am currently replacing a Sega "jumbo" 192x64 jumbo DMD in a Batman Forever and thought I better document it here/get advice as there doesn't seem to be much info online about this.

I offered to clean up Batman Forever for a hobbyist friend and they gave me a brand new Vishay jumbo DMD to install and replace their old DMD which was on the way out. Everything was working and I thought it would be a simple replacement. This is when Blair (Pinister) suggested I might want to do my research.

I opened the Vishay DMD box and the instructions said that I had to re-jumper some solder points on the back, as did the pin repair guide for it to run correctly in a Sega pinball machine. I did this. The connector on the back of the DMD also had a different configuration for the pins. Pin 1 - 12v, Pin 2 - Gnd, Pin 3 - Gnd, Pin 4 - N/C. I removed the original 5v wire from pin 1 and replaced it with the 12v wire as the instructions pointed out.

Finally, I plugged everything back in and powered the machine on. The game turned on, but nothing on the DMD. No flicker or flash, nothing. Any help would be much appreciated and as I work through this, I will update the thread. Hopefully this will be helpful to others out there.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Replacing Sega "Jumbo" DMD
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
I just got a baywatch a few weeks ago, and the large dmd was dropping out and then nothing.

On research discovered that where these d,ds pull their power from is unreliable, so if a cable upgrade ($10) from pinball life is installed 9/10 problem may be solved. My existing cable has been hacked and appears to be the original and loose. I am putting a order for one of these cables this week if you need one.

Hope that helps and sorry that's all I can help as new to the sega large screen.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but missed it by that much. I put in an order for one of those cables last night and also ordered a spare for my toolkit. Thought it might come in handy if I get a machine that has a jumbo DMD in it one day. $10 wasn't going to break the bank. Also ordered a white powerball to put in my Tron. Hehe

Today I started to wonder "will the new cable fix the problem"? Does it carry 12v?

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
I would like to buy the old one when you finish if possible please
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
Heya Mike,
I was expecting a "CHECK THE VOLTAGES!" haha. I will be checking the voltages.

Will ask the owner when it's all sorted and let you know.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »
Just spent the past half hour with Batman Forever and the multimeter. It's been a while since I've used a multimeter, but was getting 5V on the red 5V wire, so that was a good test. Blair was over the other day and also got 5V. As for the 12V purple wire, no dice. Wasn't getting a reading on that wire. I moved up the chain and tested each point where connectors linked together and still wasn't getting 12V. I haven't tested any points on the power supply board as yet. Is this the next step? Whereabouts should I test next? Is it a possibility that one of the big blue capacitors attached to the cabinet below the power supply board would die?

As a side note, I replaced the top Bridge Rectifier (there are three attached to the head box below the power supply board) as I had tested that the old one had died. Re-tested the new one and everything seems to test ok on that.

The plot thickens....

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
It's unlikely to be a capacitor causing a voltage missing problem - more likely fuses, fuse holders (clips), connectors, pins on the board that need re-flowing.

Past that you are into an electronic repair of the 12 volt regulator circuit.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Will give me something to check tomorrow night.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »
Fuse F3 just above the big blue capacitors protects the 18v for the display

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
I tested fuses this morning and F3 was blown. Pulled it out and it was a 7A and dead. Replaced it with 8A and turned the machine on and the fuse blew straight away. Now we're getting somewhere!?

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »
Since you have recently replaced BR3,  I'd probably start there.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:51:37 AM by Steevsee »

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
I would be unplugging that new display until you get the voltages at the display connector correct

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
homepin,i also have a large sega display that had a burn out of tracks on the ascociated board that joins onto the plasma panel.i tried to fix it but i had to remove(peel)some of the flex ribbon to get to the solder side of the board.Not realizing that i could not re-attach the flex ribbon.The display is now stuffed !!.if you need it for the developement of your LED version you are welcome to it.less discount on your new one.lol %$%
ps the panel was not out gassing.i just had a small fire on the other board.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
homepin,i also have a large sega display that had a burn out of tracks on the ascociated board that joins onto the plasma panel.i tried to fix it but i had to remove(peel)some of the flex ribbon to get to the solder side of the board.Not realizing that i could not re-attach the flex ribbon.The display is now stuffed !!.if you need it for the developement of your LED version you are welcome to it.less discount on your new one.lol %$%
ps the panel was not out gassing.i just had a small fire on the other board.

Thanks - happy to have it mainly for accurate size measurements etc. It doesn'tneed to work.

Also happy to pay whatever reasonable pack and postage costs. Anyone who helps will qualify for a discount  *%*

Cheers

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
i will wrap it up and get a cost,if you like.p.m.your postal addy
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you