Author Topic: Xenon help please  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Xenon help please
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
Hi guys,

I've just brought home a Bally Xenon with a couple of small issues. The first one is that when you press start it loads both balls into the shooter lane and the second is that side saucer which holds captive balls in the exit chamber won't kick balls out once the game is in play. If you turn the machine on and drop a ball in, it's kicked out straight away but as soon as you start a game and shoot into the tube it won't come out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Re: Xenon help please
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
Sounds like switch problems to me, check switch adjustment under the apron were the second ball is stored before being ejected in to shooter lane.
I think all eject holes on the playfield are cleared when a game is first turned on, check switch adjustment.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »
Sounds like switch problems to me, check switch adjustment under the apron were the second ball is stored before being ejected in to shooter lane.
I think all eject holes on the playfield are cleared when a game is first turned on, check switch adjustment.

Thanks, Ill take another look at the switches for both but I'm not sure that's the answer for eject hole. You are right it does cycle through and eject all balls on start up but I can drop ball after ball into it before starting a game and they all automatically eject, so I the switch must be reading that the balls there. If I manually light "capture when lit" with the glass off (which is when the ball is suppose to be held in this hole) and then hit the top eject hole, the ball is ejected from the side eject hole just like its suppose to.
I hope that all makes sense. In a nut shell though the side eject is working as it should except for when that first ball goes in before its lit.

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
Run the switch test. Maybe the trough switch is the issue?? The game thinks the trough has all the balls in it ??

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
Run the switch test. Maybe the trough switch is the issue?? The game thinks the trough has all the balls in it ??

I had a quick look at the machine yesterday, the machine isnt continually trying to kick balls out of the trough when the balls arent in there so I am not sure there are issues with the trough switches.  ???
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
This game has quite a few relatively recent hacks on the boards before the person I brought it off had it and it had been kept away unplayed waiting for a restoration before I brought it so is it likely that these issues are board related? It all seems odd to me, everything is working but not as it should.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »
I've taken the picture below in the hopes that someone can tell me what the correct operation of these switches whIch load the ball onto the shooter lane is suppose to be.
When the ball drains its immediately kicked up the the second switch which then immediately loads the ball into the shooter lane. I expect that this operation is correct except for the ball being loaded into the shooter lane while there's already a ball in play. Can anyone tell me what tells the machine that a ball is already in play?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »
Below is a picture of the top Out hole kicker switch( the one that's working correctly) note the locations of wire to the lugs.

This next one is the side Out hole kicker. There wired/soldered to different lugs. Is this the problem or is it just that they have different functions?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
Looks like that diode is broken,  it may have died and someone has bypassed the diode as a quick fix.  I would replace the diode (i can drop some off today if you don't have any on hand) and put the wire back on the other lug as a start.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
I've taken the picture below in the hopes that someone can tell me what the correct operation of these switches whIch load the ball onto the shooter lane is suppose to be.
When the ball drains its immediately kicked up the the second switch which then immediately loads the ball into the shooter lane. I expect that this operation is correct except for the ball being loaded into the shooter lane while there's already a ball in play. Can anyone tell me what tells the machine that a ball is already in play?

The trough switch nearest the shooter lane accompanied a closed switch i.e side out hole or switches being constantly closed on the playfield i.e. An active ball should be telling the machine where the balls are.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 01:48:19 PM »
Yes I'm pretty sure that this switch is the culprit. In the manual it's listed as the "ball release #2" switch. I've checked the wires and reflowed them but still no good. Either the switch is stuffed or the extra lug without the wire is missing a wire. If its missing a wire, I don't know where it is so hopefully a replacement switch will do the job.

Not a great photo of the switch in the earlier photo but the diode is still soldered and hasn't snapped. Is that what you meant?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
nah sorry, i was referring to the switch at the side outsole kicker.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
nah sorry, i was referring to the switch at the side outsole kicker.

Yes that's the one I was talking about to. I just made it a bit confusing by posting a picture of a different switch. Anyway, I've resoldered the wires to match the other out hole kicker and nothing's changed. It still works in the same manor. I don't have any diodes so I haven't tried that yet.

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
Below is a picture of the top Out hole kicker switch( the one that's working correctly) note the locations of wire to the lugs.

This next one is the side Out hole kicker. There wired/soldered to different lugs. Is this the problem or is it just that they have different functions?

That diode in the second pic looks back to front, The banded side should go to the Lug with no wire attached i think . if you see what i mean . Try swapping diode around . Also the  diode looks broken but is that just the lighting of photo? All other diode bands in your pics go to the unwired lug so hope this helps
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:32:01 PM by ralph67 »
One-Ball!

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »
It's just the light in the photo. I'm not sure about which way the diode should go either. Both the top and bottom pics have the diode the same way only in the bottom picture one set of wires is connected to a different lug. I've now resolderred the wires onto the other lug so they both look the same. Unfortunately it hasn't made any difference.
 I will get a new diode to try here anyway but I'm sure that's the problem either as the kicker works  consistantly, just not in the way I think it should. Having said that does anybody else have this game and should the first ball into this kicker be held or kicked straight out? I'm only going of utube videos as a reference.