Author Topic: Xenon help please  (Read 6897 times)

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Re: Xenon help please
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
I would leave the wires as they were originally as this looks the correct way, But i reckon some one has put the diode on incorrectly . And if one is wrong i would check all the others just in case. And check or renew/ resolder the header pins on the cpu as this causes switch problems
One-Ball!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
Below is a picture of the top Out hole kicker switch( the one that's working correctly) note the locations of wire to the lugs.

This next one is the side Out hole kicker. There wired/soldered to different lugs. Is this the problem or is it just that they have different functions?

That diode in the second pic looks back to front, The banded side should go to the Lug with no wire attached i think . if you see what i mean . Try swapping diode around . Also the  diode looks broken but is that just the lighting of photo? All other diode bands in your pics go to the unwired lug so hope this helps

In the 2nd pic it looks to me as though that yellow/red wire has been moved, in order to bypass the diode.. that diode would be doing NOTHING. I would be moving the wire back to the lug the opposite end of the diode (unbanded end) is soldered to, and replacing the diode.

the two lugs the wires are soldered to in that pic are the switch contacts, the 3rd lug is just an anchor point for the diode anode (unbanded end) and the wires, and just 'floats in the breeze' so to speak.

Solder the new diode back in just as the old one is, and move the yellow/red wires to the lug the unbanded end of the diode is soldered to. The original diode must have failed, and someone just said.."oh i'll just bypass it"  ::)

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Here are some pictures of these switches on my machine, hope they help. *%*

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
Here are some pictures of these switches on my machine, hope they help. *%*

Defiantly, thank you very much for posting these pics. Both of the switches you've posted are wired differently to mine, so that's a good start. Does yours lock the first ball that goes into the tube or do you need to light it first?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »

In the 2nd pic it looks to me as though that yellow/red wire has been moved, in order to bypass the diode.. that diode would be doing NOTHING. I would be moving the wire back to the lug the opposite end of the diode (unbanded end) is soldered to, and replacing the diode.

the two lugs the wires are soldered to in that pic are the switch contacts, the 3rd lug is just an anchor point for the diode anode (unbanded end) and the wires, and just 'floats in the breeze' so to speak.

Solder the new diode back in just as the old one is, and move the yellow/red wires to the lug the unbanded end of the diode is soldered to. The original diode must have failed, and someone just said.."oh i'll just bypass it"  ::)

Thanks for that. I've moved the wires over, I'll just have to get a new diode and hopefully it'll work properly.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
I would leave the wires as they were originally as this looks the correct way, But i reckon some one has put the diode on incorrectly . And if one is wrong i would check all the others just in case. And check or renew/ resolder the header pins on the cpu as this causes switch problems

Once I get these problems sorted the boards are all going of to Beaky as all of them have all manor of hacks preformed on them. I'll replace the connector here also so hopefully that eliminates any problems there to.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
The ball spits straight out, until you light 3 Xenon Xs. Then she says shoot for the tube which locks the first ball, then you light 3 more Xs and get the 2 nd ball in the top hole to start multi ball

When the first ball is locked, tube shots eject the first ball back into play, and hold the second ball, until you light the three Xs again and shoot the top hole.

Cheers Ian

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:58 PM »
The ball spits straight out, until you light 3 Xenon Xs. Then she says shoot for the tube which locks the first ball, then you light 3 more Xs and get the 2 nd ball in the top hole to start multi ball

When the first ball is locked, tube shots eject the first ball back into play, and hold the second ball, until you light the three Xs again and shoot the top hole.

Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian,
That's exactly as I thought but its nice to have it confirmed. It's bloody strange to have it work in every other way apart from holding the ball without lighting the X's

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »

Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian,

That's exactly as I thought but its nice to have it confirmed. It's bloody strange to have it work in every other way apart from holding the ball without lighting the X's

I hope its as easy to fix as swapping a few switch wires, and maybe a diode.

Good luck with it, as this is a very nice machine to own.

Cheers Ian

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
One problem solved! Thanks again for the pictures Ian. I swapped the wires around on the switch which under the apron and now the balls load into the shooter lane as there suppose to. Hopefully once I get a diode to change over with the faulty one on the other switch that problem will be resolved also.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Good news, i hope the diode solves your other ploblem.

cheers Ian

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
Good news, i hope the diode solves your other ploblem.

cheers Ian

I managed to find some diodes (knew I had some somewhere) and all good. The machines working just as it should now.   $#$ The diode was around the right way it was just the wring that was wrong.

The boards are heading up to Beaky this week and ill change a connector on the sound board which has been playing up a little and that will be it for this game. That is until Flash Gordon is finished then Xenon will get a full restoration.

Thank you to everybody who offered advice and pictures to help me get these problems sorted,  it was greatly appreciated.  @@*

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »
No problems glad to help out

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts: