Author Topic: Baywatch  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Baywatch
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
I'm thinking its got something to do with the bridge rectifier on the power board. If this was faulty would it cause these problems? The dmd could well be a separate problem so I'd like to get it playing first and deal with the dmd after that.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
You need to check that you have a steady +5 volts to your CPU board.
The voltage may be dropping off after it boots.
The bridge on the power supply board is for the +5 volts
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
How did you go on this issue as now I have a sudden issue which appears to be very similar.

1. was playing a game today and all fine
2. played a second game and the sound effects were not there but kept getting the Hoff saying we will be right back constantly through the game so something wasn't right
3. turned it off and waited a minute then turned it back on and had all lights, but no dmd, no sound sequence, ball check and no boot up
4. blew the F8 fuse on the Playfield Power Board (PPB) which is a 4amp which looks after the 50volt supply to the coils
5. replaced the fuse and turned on and nothing, went to pull out the multi meter and dead batteries and broke the fuse remover so can check if I popped another one.

I am still waiting on one part and then was going to do a shop out of the playfield as some of the flipper coils do not have a diode and wrong coils amongst a bunch of other switch tidy ups etc - could this missing diode be the cause????

anyone have any glues / advice.....
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Baywatch - went dead today, help please
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 07:07:46 PM »
can't adjust last post so here is a slightly clearer one

I had a sudden issue today while playing my Baywatch which I haven't had for long so still working what needs some changes.

1. was playing a game today and all fine, and played a second game and made it to a new video mode where you had to make your character run along the beach by hitting the flipper buttons really fast.
2. played a third game and the sound effects were not there but kept getting the Hoff saying "we will be right back" constantly through the game so something wasn't right
3. turned it off and waited a minute then turned it back on and had all lights, but no dmd, no sound sequence, no ball check and no boot up
4. lifted the dmd board out and noticed that the F8 fuse blew on the Playfield Power Board (PPB) which is a 4amp which looks after the 50volt supply to the coils
5. replaced the fuse and turned on and nothing, went to pull out the fuse to check and broke the fuse puller and the multi meter had dead batteries - so can't check now until tomorrow as night time now.

I am still waiting on one part (dmd power supply cable) as when I first got the machine it was resetting so suspect the cable etc is a issue not getting the proper 5v. Once I get all the parts I was going to do a shop out of the playfield as some of the flipper coils do not have a diode and incorrect flipper coils amongst a bunch of other switch tidy ups (change out the washing up sponge) etc

could this missing diode on the flipper coils be the cause???? or the rapid flipper activating

anyone have any glues, any advice would be much appreciated

for pinball t-shirts

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
check the +5v at the cpu board and power supply.
the missing diode could be causing some dramas
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
Now that I've finished moving and the pins are set back up ill start looking at baywatch again. The first thing I'm doing is getting a new power supply board as the one I have is missing a rectifier and has tracks lifting off of the board. I'd rather put in a new board and know that I can forget about it. I will post my results once the board gets here.
Hope you get yours sorted I will watch to see how you get on.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
Small update. I got the new power supply board in today and have all the lights. But now the dmd is completely dead. I've replaced the ribbon cable and that hasn't helped. Even thought the dmd is dead I thought that it would still play, it excepts coins but won't start? Any ideas?

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
check my thread to see it any of my steps through my little dilemma helps

- on mine if I disconnected the CN5 plug the game would start up and play the intro just no power to the dmd. If the batteries have been renewed the game will automatically go into a coin start, not a free start so the start button will give a funny ping noise - so may need to open the door and hit the coin switch to put up a credit. But on mine with the CN5 plug not connected you would get the hoff intro etc.
- while the plug is still disconnected check to see if there is the 5 volts at the test point as just to prove the new board is doing it's thing.
- For me because I had intro music but stupid me had the CN5 plug connected upside down the dmd won't work and you get no music, and no light attract mode - so in effect if the dmd is no good or not powered up correctly but connected you won't get any action.
- I got one of those kit dmd leads from pinballlife and sent with the board to Beaky and he said it was poorly pressed in meaning no volts to the dmd - so check that but also check existing power supply cables as well to the dmd.
- check the bridge rectifier 3 and associated fuses in this zone

get back with any findings and we will try to help

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
Thanks mate ill go and have a play after got to try and find the multi meter and soldering iron they are still packed in a box somewhere from when we moved

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
Ok little update. When I turn it on it is as if the game has lost a ball then after about 10 seconds it spits a ball out the ball drains all lights come on but I can't start a game. Any ideas?

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »
has it got 5 balls in it

I started stripping mine today for a shop out and it actually had 6 balls in, with one ball dislodged under the apron on the left side

It is a funny ball supply setup with the balls going into the life guard tower feed into a red plastic subway that drains down to the apron on the left side then ejects up under the apron just right of the ball saver mech to where the ball would drain in the centre - mine had a ball lodged in around the ball save mech - so someone must have lifted the playfield and it would have went into a ball search.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
Yes it has 5 balls in it. One of the ball return switches was broken so I replaced it as I thought that this was causing the problem. It looks like it wants to go

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
how did the dmd go, is it working now, as then you can determine switches etc

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
No go with the dmd yet. Found the multimeter but missing the negative wire since the move so can't test anything. Time to stop being half assed about fixing this pin.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
Don't know why but I'm getting 10.2v at the 5v plug to the dmd? Any ideas ?