Author Topic: Knocker troubles  (Read 2985 times)

Offline felixthadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Knocker troubles
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »
OK, here are the results:

I switched the machine off and disconnected the coil. I then connected a 9V battery to the two terminals on the coil and the kicker fired. I then set my MM to ohms (200) and put one probe on each terminal on the coil, and it displayed 4.4 on the MM. Is that too high?  !@#

I reconnected the coil and then checked the IDC connectors (J107 and J130). They looked OK, so I pushed the wires in with a screwdriver and reseated the connectors. The Q68 thingy looked OK to me too. I set the Match level to 50% and played a few games until a Match was awarded, but the kicker did not fire.

Matthew

OK, what that says to me is that you are not getting voltage to the coil. This is most likely connectors or the driver transistor.

Probably the easiest way to check that the connectors are OK is to put the multimeter back on the 200 ohm setting, and then check that you get a zero reading when you place the probe in one of the connector pins, and the other probe at the exposed end of the wire directly attached to that pin of the connector (ie where it is soldered on to coil if you are checking the coil end, or where it connects to the driver board at the board end). Hopefully that makes sense.

Could you dumb that down a little bit more, perhaps even in step-by-step instructions?

Unfortunately I can't do any more testing tonight but I will continue testing tomorrow night.

Matthew