Author Topic: Knocker troubles  (Read 2962 times)

Offline felixthadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Knocker troubles
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
Mate, where do you live? I would be happy to come over for an hour or so after basketball (which finishes around 8:30pm). Sounds like you need some hands-on assistance. And do you have a soldering iron?

Thanks for the offer Andrew, but I will attempt to test the coil myself first. If I can't figure out what is going on, and can't explain what is happening, I might need your expertise soon enough.

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
OK Matthew, no problem.

Once you've done the test Nino suggested you then need to test that voltage is getting to the coil.

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
OK Matthew, no problem.

Once you've done the test Nino suggested you then need to test that voltage is getting to the coil.

Ummmmmm ...... how?  !@)

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »
OK Matthew, no problem.

Ummmmmm ...... how?  !@)

Matthew

One step at a time Mate -  ^^^

Lets check the connectors and the coil itself first.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »
OK Matthew, no problem.

Ummmmmm ...... how?  !@)

Matthew

One step at a time Mate -  ^^^

Lets check the connectors and the coil itself first.

OK, here are the results:

I switched the machine off and disconnected the coil. I then connected a 9V battery to the two terminals on the coil and the kicker fired. I then set my MM to ohms (200) and put one probe on each terminal on the coil, and it displayed 4.4 on the MM. Is that too high?  !@#

I reconnected the coil and then checked the IDC connectors (J107 and J130). They looked OK, so I pushed the wires in with a screwdriver and reseated the connectors. The Q68 thingy looked OK to me too. I set the Match level to 50% and played a few games until a Match was awarded, but the kicker did not fire.

Matthew

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 08:49:30 PM »
Dont get discouraged -you will solve it eventually-best way to solve these problems is patience and the help of everyone on the forum-this is the best way to learn,believe me -walk away for a while then retry.
Millsy (Still a noobe & still learning)
pinballaustralia.com

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
Dont get discouraged -you will solve it eventually-best way to solve these problems is patience and the help of everyone on the forum-this is the best way to learn,believe me -walk away for a while then retry.
Millsy (Still a noobe & still learning)

Not discouraged, however I am glad that this problem is not integral to the functioning of the machine. It would just be nice to figure out why it is not working.

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

Coil is good.

Now you mentioned that you could not find the "Knocker test". This is how you do it.

Open the coin door - Press the "Begin Test" button
Cycle through the options until (use the + and - Buttons) you see the TEST MENU option. Press ENTER Button (Same as test)
Use the + Key to find the SOLENOID TEST. Press ENTER

You can select the "RUN" mode and it will check all the solenoids. The door has to be closed for the voltage to be applied to the coils. It will cycle through all the coils. You are interested in Solenoid 7.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »

I switched the machine off and disconnected the coil. I then connected a 9V battery to the two terminals on the coil and the kicker fired. I then set my MM to ohms (200) and put one probe on each terminal on the coil, and it displayed 4.4 on the MM. Is that too high?  !@#

I reconnected the coil and then checked the IDC connectors (J107 and J130). They looked OK, so I pushed the wires in with a screwdriver and reseated the connectors. The Q68 thingy looked OK to me too. I set the Match level to 50% and played a few games until a Match was awarded, but the kicker did not fire.

Matthew

OK, what that says to me is that you are not getting voltage to the coil. This is most likely connectors or the driver transistor.

Probably the easiest way to check that the connectors are OK is to put the multimeter back on the 200 ohm setting, and then check that you get a zero reading when you place the probe in one of the connector pins, and the other probe at the exposed end of the wire directly attached to that pin of the connector (ie where it is soldered on to coil if you are checking the coil end, or where it connects to the driver board at the board end). Hopefully that makes sense.

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

Coil is good.

Now you mentioned that you could not find the "Knocker test". This is how you do it.

Open the coin door - Press the "Begin Test" button
Cycle through the options until (use the + and - Buttons) you see the TEST MENU option. Press ENTER Button (Same as test)
Use the + Key to find the SOLENOID TEST. Press ENTER

You can select the "RUN" mode and it will check all the solenoids. The door has to be closed for the voltage to be applied to the coils. It will cycle through all the coils. You are interested in Solenoid 7.

There is no Solenoid 7 in the SOLENOID TEST menu, it skips from Solenoid 6 (Gumball Diverter) to Solenoid 8 (Outhole)  !@#

Matthew

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »

Matthew

OK, what that says to me is that you are not getting voltage to the coil. This is most likely connectors or the driver transistor.

Probably the easiest way to check that the connectors are OK is to put the multimeter back on the 200 ohm setting, and then check that you get a zero reading when you place the probe in one of the connector pins, and the other probe at the exposed end of the wire directly attached to that pin of the connector (ie where it is soldered on to coil if you are checking the coil end, or where it connects to the driver board at the board end). Hopefully that makes sense.

Could you dumb that down a little bit more, perhaps even in step-by-step instructions?

Unfortunately I can't do any more testing tonight but I will continue testing tomorrow night.

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »
There is no Solenoid 7 in the SOLENOID TEST menu, it skips from Solenoid 6 (Gumball Diverter) to Solenoid 8 (Outhole)  !@#

Matthew

OK, here is a better guess - there is a setting in the ROM that says the knocker is not installed. It is adjustment 3.21 - it should be set to Off to utilise the knocker, but is probably set to something else.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:06:29 PM by ajlaird »

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »

Matthew

OK, here is a better guess - there is a setting in the ROM that says the knocker is not installed. It is adjustment 3.21 - it should be set to Off to utilise the knocker, but is probably set to something else.

This sounded promising, but alas no joy again. There is no adjustment 3.21 in the Adjustments menu  !!!

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

Matthew

This sounded promising, but alas no joy again. There is no adjustment 3.21 in the Adjustments menu  !!!

Matthew

JUst to be really clear, their are three adjustment menus; I am talking about item 21 in the third adjustment menu. If this does not exist, does it jump from 19 or 20 to another number (eg 22 or 23)? What is the value at item 10 of the third adjustment menu?

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

Matthew

Matthew

JUst to be really clear, their are three adjustment menus; I am talking about item 21 in the third adjustment menu. If this does not exist, does it jump from 19 or 20 to another number (eg 22 or 23)? What is the value at item 10 of the third adjustment menu?

OK, to be really, really clear:

I went into the A. Adjustments menu and selected A.3 Pricing Adjustments. In the Pricing Adjustments menu, there were the following options:

A.3 01 Game Pricing
A.3 16 Maximum Credits
A.3 17 Free Play
A.3 18 Hide Coin Audits
A.3 19 1 Coin Buy-In
A.3 22 Dollar Bill Slot
A.3 23 Minimum Coin Microseconds

There is no option 3.10 in the Pricing Adjustments menu on my machine.

Matthew