Author Topic: Stern - Cosmic Princess  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Rossco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
Re: Stern - Cosmic Princess
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
This is great info - tks very much...

Will go and test it out again. Do I press the test button 16 times to get to #16? Will also try the the jumper suggestion. The wires seem a little bit worse for wear so I may resolder them to make sure that all is OK once I have finished testing.

Yes, this is a great machine and plays very well. My one is in very good condition - backboard and table have very little wear. Looks like it has been regularly maintained. I need a rubber set ... any suggestion for a reliable place to get these? Also, what price do they fetch these days?

If the game continually resets the target and is stuck on ball 1, then the ball trough switch might be shorted or mis adjusted. Remove the ball and see if the problem persists.

I just went in and tried this on my own CP and can confirm that this IS how the game will behave if the ball is not being kicked into the shooter lane ( i held the coil plunger so the ball wouldn't kick out, so the ball was just sitting there on the switch). Also just checked the solenoid test, #16 in the solenoid test is the outhole coil and Q16 on the solenoid driver board drives that coil. You could try, with a test lead jumpering its collector (metal tab) to the aluminium ground in the backbox and see if the ball kicks out, if it does it'll rule out the coil itsself and connections between the board and coil as being the problem.

Slightly off topic but i wanted to add, its a great old game when working properly, i also find it pretty amazing that for a low production game there seem to be a few popping up lately.. i notice there are a few members here that have this title.. i have TWO of them @ the moment  :D a keeper and the other is being restored and sold.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »
Do I press the test button 16 times to get to #16?

No, once you are in solenoid test mode it will cycle thru all the solenoids over and over

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:09 AM »

Slightly off topic but i wanted to add, its a great old game when working properly, i also find it pretty amazing that for a low production game there seem to be a few popping up lately.. i notice there are a few members here that have this title.. i have TWO of them @ the moment  :D a keeper and the other is being restored and sold.

you know, i was actually thinking the same thing, its had a bit of attention lately despite small production numbers. Nice and colourful playfield, fun game.
There is a gumtree add in SA at the moment, someone is looking to buy!

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
More testing done ...

The solenoid test goes through most of the solenoids in the test cycle (Click 3) - but doesn't do the flippers and the ball eject (start of play). Strangely, when the machine has been newly switched on after standing, it works fine, but then seems to keep on resetting the drop targets and doesn't eject the ball on about the second game. I have tested the switch for the "ball start eject" solenoid and that was newly replaced and seems to be working fine.

Lastly - there are no sound effects (the no 8 dip switch is set to on). It was making weird sounds after transporting it to my house and I shook it a bit which caused the weirs sounds to go away - now seems to taken everything with it. I have fiddled with the speaker volume in the main box and that seems to be OK. Are there perhaps some know issues with CP sound?

Any suggestions as to what to check now GREATLY appreciated - I'm stuck (just like the continuous drop target reset and no ball start eject) ................. TIA   

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 11:48:10 PM »
More testing done ...

The solenoid test goes through most of the solenoids in the test cycle (Click 3) - but doesn't do the flippers and the ball eject (start of play). Strangely, when the machine has been newly switched on after standing, it works fine, but then seems to keep on resetting the drop targets and doesn't eject the ball on about the second game. I have tested the switch for the "ball start eject" solenoid and that was newly replaced and seems to be working fine.

Lastly - there are no sound effects (the no 8 dip switch is set to on). It was making weird sounds after transporting it to my house and I shook it a bit which caused the weirs sounds to go away - now seems to taken everything with it. I have fiddled with the speaker volume in the main box and that seems to be OK. Are there perhaps some know issues with CP sound?

Any suggestions as to what to check now GREATLY appreciated - I'm stuck (just like the continuous drop target reset and no ball start eject) ................. TIA   

The flippers are not part of the solenoid test. The ball kick is part of the test and I find it strange that it does not work during the test, but does work for the first game. It almost suggests that there is a dry joint on the Solenoid Driver board, or a connecter problem to the solenoid Driver board. Can you remove the SD board and reflow the solder joints on the connectors ?

The sound problem - I have not worked on this game for a long time - does it have the ribbon connector from the sound board to the MPU board ? Reseat the connectors to the sound board as a start.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 03:05:37 AM »
WOW - some progress - tks for the input.

Have got the sound working after removing and cleaning the connectors. Tick that one off.

I tried the same with the driver control board and I managed to run three games and a test circuit of the solenoids - all worked great THEN, back to the repeated resetting of the drop-targets, and no ball eject. Grrrr

I may do another clean and reset of the connectors. The previous owner told me that the machine did that when he got it ten years ago. Will also try and resolder the connector pins. I have got a decent soldering iron to do the work so will try and get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again for the input - greatly appreciated.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
WOW - some progress - tks for the input.

Have got the sound working after removing and cleaning the connectors. Tick that one off.

I tried the same with the driver control board and I managed to run three games and a test circuit of the solenoids - all worked great THEN, back to the repeated resetting of the drop-targets, and no ball eject. Grrrr

I may do another clean and reset of the connectors. The previous owner told me that the machine did that when he got it ten years ago. Will also try and resolder the connector pins. I have got a decent soldering iron to do the work so will try and get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again for the input - greatly appreciated.

When you have the SDB out re-solder ALL the connector pins on the board not just the ones for the connector giving you trouble, this wil eliminate any other possible intermittent issues

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
Ok thanks - will do the resoldering job today.

Didn't know that it is possible for such a thing to happen with a machine. Does it corrode or something over time? I'm sure that when it left the factory it should have worked OK. Just curious as to how that happened.

I really appreciate the kind and generous assistance of everyone here. Would have been really lost without it. Great Aussie pinball community!!

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
When you say you are cleaning the connector pins, how are you doing it?  It isn't a good idea to sand them, it will probably be a temporary fix and lead to other problems down the track. 

It sounds like you have some connector and header pin issues.  The best way to fix it in the end would be to replace the connectors and header pins totally.  As you have already seen, just re-seating the connectors will only be a short term fix.

Something else, just because something has been replaced, e.g. the ball eject switch I think it was, don't assume that it is all good.  The switch arm may need adjusting, or the switch itself may have been wired incorrectly - I have seen this plenty of times.

If you are confident of being able to pull things apart and put them back together, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the drop target banks apart and give them a good clean.  Chances are there may be a heap of crud on the targets themselves which is inhibiting their movement up and down.  best thing is to take plenty of pics of the part your are working on/assembly as you go so you have some sort of reference as to how it goes back together.

Best of luck with it.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
I removed ribbon cable and rubbed the side of the pins lightly with a small screwdriver then slid the ribbon up and down a few times to try and reseat them properly.

Do I need to get some new header pins from somewhere? I was wondering how I keep the loose pins in place long enough to solder them. Would this be by having the ribbon plugged in on the other side perhaps?

I have fiddled with the leaves and cleaned contacts on the kicker switch and they seem to be making contact OK.

As far as the drop target goes - during the test cycle, drop target no 4 does not drop so maybe there is something wrong with that one, and a need to disassemble it.

Have camera ready to photograph everything. Bit nervous about fiddling actually as I can't find a full manual that shows where everything fits, including wiring, so kind of flying blind at this stage.

When you say you are cleaning the connector pins, how are you doing it?  It isn't a good idea to sand them, it will probably be a temporary fix and lead to other problems down the track. 

It sounds like you have some connector and header pin issues.  The best way to fix it in the end would be to replace the connectors and header pins totally.  As you have already seen, just re-seating the connectors will only be a short term fix.

Something else, just because something has been replaced, e.g. the ball eject switch I think it was, don't assume that it is all good.  The switch arm may need adjusting, or the switch itself may have been wired incorrectly - I have seen this plenty of times.

If you are confident of being able to pull things apart and put them back together, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the drop target banks apart and give them a good clean.  Chances are there may be a heap of crud on the targets themselves which is inhibiting their movement up and down.  best thing is to take plenty of pics of the part your are working on/assembly as you go so you have some sort of reference as to how it goes back together.

Best of luck with it.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Testing Update,

Reseated the ribbons again and this time ... I ran 3 games perfectly and ran through 6 x test cycles - perfectly. Ball kicked out as it should and all solenoids worked well - even ran through the sounds as part of the test.

So, I may do a proper clean of the connectors and see how that runs before resoldering at this stage (will work towards doing that), and will see if I can source some new ribbon cables. They look like standard computer items so perhaps IDE cables may work? I have a few old ones lying around from computer upgrades that I have done.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »
Some good pinball parts shops that between them should have everything you need........

RTBB - Vic based and a member here on AP.  www.rtbb.com.au

Pinball Life - US based and their shipping is starting to get expensive.  www.pinballlife.com

Marco Specialties - their shipping has actually come down in price and is much more reasonable than it used to be.  http://www.marcospecialties.com/

Pinball Resource - excellent shop but ordering takes a bit to get your head around. http://www.pbresource.com/

If you have loose header pins they can be re-soldered but preferred option if possible would be just to replace the header pins and connectors and fix the problem for good.  Putting the connector on and then pushing the pins back through the board gently from the back could be a good way to solder them back in.  If things need to be scraped though i.e. pins, it really is best to replace them.

At least you have seen some good signs of life and if you only have to replace some header pins and connectors you are laughing.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
Tks for the shop details - will check them out!.

Test Update 2
=========

I resoldered all the pin on to the solenoid board - and found a few more joints that looked questionable so resoldered them as well to make sure.

Put the board back - powered up, played one ball and back to the same problem again. No ball kick and continuous resetting of the 5 drop targets.

I suppose on the positive side it seems that the solenoid board itself is OK (likely) ... now need to look somewhere else .. BUT WHERE  !@#

Some good pinball parts shops that between them should have everything you need........

RTBB - Vic based and a member here on AP.  www.rtbb.com.au

Pinball Life - US based and their shipping is starting to get expensive.  www.pinballlife.com

Marco Specialties - their shipping has actually come down in price and is much more reasonable than it used to be.  http://www.marcospecialties.com/

Pinball Resource - excellent shop but ordering takes a bit to get your head around. http://www.pbresource.com/

If you have loose header pins they can be re-soldered but preferred option if possible would be just to replace the header pins and connectors and fix the problem for good.  Putting the connector on and then pushing the pins back through the board gently from the back could be a good way to solder them back in.  If things need to be scraped though i.e. pins, it really is best to replace them.

At least you have seen some good signs of life and if you only have to replace some header pins and connectors you are laughing.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
Connectors most likely.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »
Thanks = is there any way to clean them so they make good contact - or do I need to try and buy new ones?

Connectors most likely.