Author Topic: Stern - Cosmic Princess  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Cosmic Princess
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
You should really repin the lot of them, 30yr old machine, its worth doing.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
Thanks = is there any way to clean them so they make good contact - or do I need to try and buy new ones?

Connectors most likely.

RTBB should have most if not all of the header pins and connectors you need.  If for some reason they dont Great Plains Electronics will have them.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
OK ... will contact RTBB and get the items, then do a repin of the machine.

BTW - I checked the kicker solenoid and resoldered the wires as it looked like they were a bit questionable. No change unfortunately - still the same problem...

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »
Just a follow-up question on this issue - would it be better for me to test the connections to see if there is continuity/resistance e.g. with meter, to see if the connectors and/or pins are failty first before buying new parts?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
Just a follow-up question on this issue - would it be better for me to test the connections to see if there is continuity/resistance e.g. with meter, to see if the connectors and/or pins are failty first before buying new parts?

A visual check is all you need. If they are tarnished or have signs of corrosion - they all need to go.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

A visual check is all you need. If they are tarnished or have signs of corrosion - they all need to go.

The pins seem to be OK but hard to say with connects as can't see inside. Will see uf I can find a magnifying glass and see if that helps.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
Honestly, if the header pins are tarnished or slightly worn as Nino said, they need to be replaced.  If you replace the header pins then you need to replace the pins in the connectors as well.  Relatively pointless changing one and not the other.  The machine came good when you started re-seating connectors which points to replacing them.  They are simply one thing you can't skimp on if you want a reliable machine for years to come.  It is tedious and time consuming work but the enjoyment you get out of knowing the machine is going to work when you turn it on is well worth it.  There is nothing worse than playing a game and not knowing if and when it is going to fail on you.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »
Thanks - point noted.

I will order the items this evening.

Honestly, if the header pins are tarnished or slightly worn as Nino said, they need to be replaced.  If you replace the header pins then you need to replace the pins in the connectors as well.  Relatively pointless changing one and not the other.  The machine came good when you started re-seating connectors which points to replacing them.  They are simply one thing you can't skimp on if you want a reliable machine for years to come.  It is tedious and time consuming work but the enjoyment you get out of knowing the machine is going to work when you turn it on is well worth it.  There is nothing worse than playing a game and not knowing if and when it is going to fail on you.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 01:53:48 AM »
I have been able to find header pins at RTBB but don't see the pins that go inside the connector. Thinking about it - the connector pins are fitted to the wiring harness so that will need to be pulled cut off and resoldered.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
You should really repin the lot of them, 30yr old machine, its worth doing.
^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »
Assuming the connector pins are 0.156", you should be able to find everything on this page. 

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_88_196_172&osCsid=564238e3c7906aa45d8367655e1d5b82

Down the bottom of that page there are 0.156" trifurcon crimp terminals.  These are the pins that you need.

If you have something small enough to push into the bottom or flat side of the pins in the individual pin holes from the front of the connector to unlatch the existing pins you can pull them out and then cut them off as close to the pin as possible.  There typically isn't much spare length of the wires.  It will save you a heap of angst and time if you have a crimping tool as well.  the wires don't need to be soldered into the pins.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »

Thanks very much for your patience in working through this issue with me. I am about to place an order and something occurred to me - the connectors on the right-hand side appear to be slightly smaller than the other's (0.156"). When I resoldered the pins - they were much closer to each other than the 0.156s. Don't want to place a second order and have to wait for parts again if I can help it - do you perhaps know what size the different pins are?

I have attached pics - yellow arrow highlights the smaller pinned connector, and you can also get an overall view of the board and its condition. Note - this was as found, pre-resolder job. Also added a pic of the battery - do I need to remove this? I have read that it should be removed, but this one seems to be in good condition and looks to have been replaced since the original was fitted.

Assuming the connector pins are 0.156", you should be able to find everything on this page. 

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_88_196_172&osCsid=564238e3c7906aa45d8367655e1d5b82

Down the bottom of that page there are 0.156" trifurcon crimp terminals.  These are the pins that you need.

If you have something small enough to push into the bottom or flat side of the pins in the individual pin holes from the front of the connector to unlatch the existing pins you can pull them out and then cut them off as close to the pin as possible.  There typically isn't much spare length of the wires.  It will save you a heap of angst and time if you have a crimping tool as well.  the wires don't need to be soldered into the pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
The smaller sized pins are 0.100"

Yes you should remove the battery and install a remote battery holder.   Better to be safe than sorry.  There are also kits you can buy to re-build the 5V and HV sections of the power driver board.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
I get mine from Altronics. This is what i use;
http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p5470-crimp-pins-2.54mm-suit-p-5472-p-5482-pk-100/

And these for the larger style connector;
http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p5640-oupiin-crimp-pins-3.96mm-suit-s-5642-s-5660-pk-100/

I use these for all the low current connectors, ie switch matrix etc, and Trifurcon pins for anything power supply/hi current related.
I usually get the Trifurcons from GPE or Pinball Life, though i might try RTBB next time i need them (didn't know they had them)  @.@

Offline Rossco

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
Update

Have ordered the parts from RTBB and also managed to get some of the smaller pins and connectors from Jaycar along with desoldering braid and desoldering suction, so will start rebuilding in the next few days. I have also ordered a crimper so will try and do the job without soldering. Looking forward to getting this machine running smoothly. Great challenge - would have no chance of success if it had not been for the kind assistance of everyone here.